• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1200r "Sport"....Let the farkling begin!

rbertalotto

First order of business is a way to mount the GPS. I like my GPS unit "right in my face"....between the handlebars and just above the tank bag, thank you.....

So.....tonight I whipped up this.....

First remove the BMW roundel....

DSC_2981-vi.jpg

Under the Roundel is a threaded hole.....

DSC_2980-vi.jpg

Into this hole will go a big ass metric bolt that has been drilled and tapped to accept a 1/4-20 bolt. This bolt will insert through a stainless steel disc I turned on the lathe....

DSC_2979-vi.jpg

Into the threaded hole goes a "Ram" mount ball.....

DSC_2977-vi.jpg

And a RAM arm with a Garmin "motorcycle GPS mount" is attached to this ball....

DSC_2986-vi.jpg

DSC_2988-vi.jpg

Done!

DSC_2982-vi.jpg

Next is wiring an aux fuse box and the Amplirider headphone amplifier, GPS and radar detector.....Then fabricate some mounts for my GIVI bags.........

K1200r gps

A very professional installation -- I'm ordinarily a "stock" guy as opposed to farkling the heck out of a bike especially with tacky add-ons and crap (though an Akrapovic slip-on doesn't fall into that camp as it's a quality piece of kit). This certainly work certainly falls into that camp as I like anything that's over-engineered or made out of titanium (or preferably both)!

Keep up the nice work and show us more pictures as you "farkle away".

Kent

On the K1200S, since it has the mirrors on the fairing, I bought the handle bar mirror clamps that are on the R and was able to screw a RAM ball onto them. The 3/8" ram ball screws right into the threads of the mirror mount, since the metric thread is just about identical. Then I use two short RAM arms and a ball to ball union to position the GPS just about where ever I want it, angled as I want. The two RAM arms, provide movement in all directions.

Back