• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1200 LT throttle

J

josborn

The throttle grip on my '99 KLT1200 is staying/sticking wherever I twist it. I can manually turn it back, but it won't return on its own. Tried unhooking battery (to clear memory) in case it was cruise/computer related - didn't help. Before I tear into the fairing, can someone tell me if there is a spring return on the cable - I'm guessing not. Any ideas?

If those are original cables, its time for a new set. There has been at least one cable update since 1999, maybe more.

'01 model here;

Some did this, others did not. Mine are the original cables without issue, but cleaning the end at the grip is something that I've seen the dealer do frequently on others LT's. You can do this job quite easily, by taking the grip cover loose and cleaning the dust,dirt from inside there. Use something like WD40. I've been to the other end on mine and the cable issue with yours is at the throttle end, I'm sure. Your cable may be compromised inside also and need changing, but this is a major job and requires all the way into the frame, airbox removal,etc. I've been there and its not pretty! You can do it, but its a time consuming job and I mean a day plus! The cruise control sensor for the throttle is at the rail end pulley and is very sensative to adjustment at the throttle end, so beware. Patience is a vertue here, no doubt:). Yes, there is a spring, but this is not your worry..Happy wrenching, Randy13233 KLT'01....

Yes, there is a return spring on the throttle down at the bottom end on the fuel rail. There have been several updates to the cables and the mechanism on the right throttle grip called a "relay". It sounds like you need to have the latest cables installed. Many have done this themselves but it involves a bit of work re-attaching the new cables and you will have to cut a hole in the lower right handlebar cover for a change the routing of the new cables. The new relay design causes a change in the original routing path. Lots of good information and pictures over on the LT site. Do a search and you'll find what you need.

I recently started having this problem on my '02 K12RS which a a cable replacement early on. I found the cable routing was misplaced, simply moved it back (I must have done this) and it is fine again. Of, this means you have to remove the tupperwear.

Back