• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K100RS back from the dead

alegerlotz

Last night I resurrected a 1988 K100RS from an ethanol induced coma... (the fuel pump crapped out on my friend's bike a couple of years ago).

After getting the old fuel and gunk out of the tank and replacing the fuel pump (and filter and screen) using a kit from beemer boneyard, the bike fired right up and runs pretty well. It goes and stops too.

Now that the bike is running, its time for 12K service, coolant flush, and brake flush.

The bike is now mine and both front mirrors are in pretty rough shape. I'd like to avoid paying $240 each for new ones so I'm looking for used ones. I haven't seen much on beemer boneyard or ebay. Any ideas on where to find some?

Hi alegerlotz, I'm in middle of tore down KRS, parts are not yet a big prob for these bikes, IMHO. Certain parts I pay premium from dealer, other stuff just google and bing bam boom, should find a plethora of bike breakers all over the place. There were a ton of first gen bricks built. Parts galore. Prices too, all over the place. Used parts always a crap shoot as to condition, but then what isn't a crap shoot these days. Scored a pair of mirror extenders from Boneyard, less than half new price. Money, can't take it with you. Hey, nice collection you got goin there.

Post a pic. Just finished shoveling ten inches, beer break.

Hi alegerlotz, I'm in middle of tore down KRS, parts are not yet a big prob for these bikes, IMHO. Certain parts I pay premium from dealer, other stuff just google and bing bam boom, should find a plethora of bike breakers all over the place. There were a ton of first gen bricks built. Parts galore. Prices too, all over the place. Used parts always a crap shoot as to condition, but then what isn't a crap shoot these days. Scored a pair of mirror extenders from Boneyard, less than half new price. Money, can't take it with you. Hey, nice collection you got goin there.

I'm getting the bike from my friend's place in a day or 2, so I'll post a pic then.

So far no luck on beemer boneyard or ebay for replacement mirrors. At this point I'm not willing to spend $250 each for new ones.

Enjoy that snow, its headed this way unfortunately. :banghead

Both mirrors on my RS were a bit rough, right one because of a scrape on a previous tip over, left one because it apparently was detached from its breakaway mount many times. So I just jury rigged what I had, got some touch up paint, attached internal wire in case either got knocked off in the future, installed extenders so as to see less of my elbows, and from a block away nobody knows they're not perfect. In future may find a couple same color perfect condition for a song. Not likely.

Maybe you can help me...

I'm bringing back my K100RS. Would you know about the inside of the fuel pump? Does it have a rubber impeller or metal? I'm wondering if I could take it apart and clean it out rather than buying a new one. Thank you for your help.

Back