• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

k100 rt starter spinning

pfetter

1986 K100RT, 135000 miles
I have a 86 k100rt that I have not been riding for awhile, I went to start it and the starter just makes a spinning noise. I thught battery might be low as I have had a low battery relay problem before.. I charged battery for 12 hours at 2 amps and still the starter makes a spinning noise. It sounds like a car starter that spins when the bendix does not kick in but I see in other posts that the BMW does not use a bendix type unit. If that is so then how does the starter engage andd disengage.. Any ideas on my problem.

The starter is constantly engaged and works through a one way sprag clutch. The starter clutch is slipping so the starter motor just spins and doesn't turn the bike engine.

The maybe fix is to add a product called Valve Medic to the oil (CD2 Detergent also works sometimes, as does Rislone sometimes) to the oil - bump start the bike, and ride a couple of hundred of miles.

That will usually dissolve the gums sticking the clutch sprags. If not it is major surgery to remove the transmission and auxiliary case to access the starter clutch to clean it.

K100 Spinning Starter

Thanks for that infor, I looked on the thread you recommended and I will give the motor cleaner a try, this bike has not been ridden much in the last year or so even though the oil has been changed. I think I will see if I can get the spraque clutch loosened up drain the oil, change the filter and then install synthetic oil.

This owners group never lets me down.

Caution

I had precisely this problem. The CD2 did the trick after riding about 50 fast miles. The PO of my bike probably causde the problem by 1. not riding it frequently, which led to numerous problems related to lack of use and 2. used a generic motor oil. :doh

There are a number of threads about using synthetics oils - I now default to using the $$$ BMW oils. :german

Back