• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K-75 Oil filter and maintanace alternatives?

Gil

Sorry folks. Still a little "green" on the K bike maintanace. The maintanace video for the 5 & 10 K is very helpful. Great for rookies like me.
Regarding oil filter. are there alternative aftermarket oil filters available at regular auto parts stores or better product than the BMW brand?
While I have your attention...ARE THERE ANY TECH DAYS IN FLORIDA FOR K BIKES?
Desperate devoted, loving and caring bike owner needs professional help...and the wife agrees. (perhaps for different reasons) :dunno

Other Oil Filters

Some will say to only use the BMW filter. I will not debate this, but since you asked

?À Purolator PL10241 / PL25230
?À Mobil1 M1-102
?À Bosch 3330
?À AMSOil SMF 122
?À EMGO 10-26740
?À Fram PH6063
Purolator ML16825

I personally use the Super Tec ST 3614 from Wal Mart. I remove the sticker and have never had any paint degradation of the filter. This filter is made by Champion and has 98% single pass efficiency. The only filters with claim higher filtering are the Purolators.

I bought a Valvoline plastic filter wrench and turned it down to fit the K bike hole.

Ralph Sims

Wow. I was not aware there were so many K75 oil filters available.
By removing the sticker, do you mean the sticker goes all the way around the filter and makes it too tight to fit?
I have had really good luck in my trucks with the Mobil products. I wonder if anybody uses it for their K75 bikes.
Anybody? Hello :brow

Wow. I was not aware there were so many K75 oil filters available.
By removing the sticker, do you mean the sticker goes all the way around the filter and makes it too tight to fit?
I have had really good luck in my trucks with the Mobil products. I wonder if anybody uses it for their K75 bikes.
Anybody? Hello :brow

The oil filter isn't too tight to fit. The sticker on the Super Tec ST3614 is the one that tells the name and model. I really don't want the oil to loosen it, so I remove it.
Ralph Sims

I use a WIX equivalent to the FRAM and run Lubrication Engineer's oil and their 90W Almasol product in the tranny and final drive. I remove the sticker from the filter.

BTW... where did you get a maintenance video for the K bike? I have an 87 K75C, have owned it for 10 years, and would have really appreciated a video, but didn't know they were out there... and what do you mean by 5 & 10 K?

I like these questions. They produce great answers.

BTW... where did you get a maintenance video for the K bike? I have an 87 K75C, have owned it for 10 years, and would have really appreciated a video, but didn't know they were out there... and what do you mean by 5 & 10 K?

I like these questions. They produce great answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalland
It has been converted to DVD and is available here:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.ph...d=5719&catid=2

I lost the bid at E-Bay for this VHS tape. I was so bumbed...and then, this mnessage comes along!
This last post made my day! I already sent a message and I am on stand-by ready to send the cash. I would insist on sending a money order and a self stamped envelope to ensure I make it as easy as possible to this seller who is obviously providing a great service to the fellow late K bike owners.
Looking forward to ths purchase.
And more cameras than I can handle!
http://www.pbase.com/gil_hidalgo

Here you go! Glad to help.

Some will say to only use the BMW filter. I will not debate this, but since you asked

?À Purolator PL10241 / PL25230
?À Mobil1 M1-102
?À Bosch 3330
?À AMSOil SMF 122
?À EMGO 10-26740
?À Fram PH6063
Purolator ML16825

I personally use the Super Tec ST 3614 from Wal Mart. I remove the sticker and have never had any paint degradation of the filter. This filter is made by Champion and has 98% single pass efficiency. The only filters with claim higher filtering are the Purolators.

I bought a Valvoline plastic filter wrench and turned it down to fit the K bike hole.

Ralph Sims

Any filter that will fit a 2.2 K car or V6 Toyota will fit the K bike. There is one thing you need to look out for. The black gripping stuff they put on the end of the Fram will come off in the K bike where it is constantly in the oil. I also use the Wal-Mart filter on my Kawasaki engine on my John Deere. I read the tests that showed where it had excellent filtering properties. I got a pot metal filter wrench that fit and worked fine.

K&N filters also list an oil filter for a K75.

The part number is KN-163.

If you go to thier web site and enter your zip code they will list your nearest dealer.

Mine happens to be Auto Zone, they won't likely have it in stock, but if you order one, it takes about a day for them to get it.

I believe the cost is about $13.00

K&N also make a reuseable air filter for K75s, Part # BM-2605.
It's a good filter that according to thier instructions won't need cleaning for about 50,000miles.

I paid $51.00 for mine.

No, I'm not a K&N dealer.

Just helping with alternatives.

Back