• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

It's official, I prefer my K to my airhead

zoridog

When I got back into motorcycles four years ago, I drank the airhead Kool-aid. I compared every other bike to the "real motorcycle". They are easy to maintain & repair, they look good, they sound good, they ride nicely, they are light ... all that stuff.

This week I rode to Rutgers University (New Brunswick, NJ) to use their library. I took the K100RT because the airhead is partially disassembled. I was on a traffic filled highway (Rt 202), a deadly highway (Rt 287), urban driving complete with texting, college age drivers, bad roads and many, many distracted pedestrians. It was true guerilla motorcycling. In the end, the K bike performed like an athlete. It didn't feel top heavy, bulky or otherwise heavy.

It was like the K was always ready for the next input. It was an extension of my brain in some situations. It performed well in the wrong gear while the airhead would be lugging or screaming. The airhead would have lagged behind waiting for the right rpm range for smooth shifting. Passing would have to be planned a few more seconds in advance while the K blipped speed at will.

If the 85KRT wasn't so damn hot to ride in summer it may be my only bike. My buddy says his new 1300GT is comfortable in 95 degree weather. Hmmmm. Being a K lover could get expensive.

PS. Be careful out there! Texting in progress!

Interesting, your R is 9 years newer than the K. I felt the same thing back in 86 when I got my K75s. My R65LS suddenly became a relic worthy of short errands, the K was the bike for any "real" motorcycling.

I've been riding for 42 years, but on BMW's the last four. My first Beemer was a 88 R100RS that hurt my back to ride. I sold it and bought a 99RT that was a large improvement over the RS. Still on longer trips I rode my Electra Glide for the added comfort. This past spring I saw a K75 for sale on Craigs list. I bought it and really enjoyed the way it rode and peformed. But at 250 Lbs I was much to big for it. I traded it for a Moto Guzzi Breva which is fun to ride. Then I sold the 99RT and bought a (one owner) 93 1100LT. Now I have two true long distance bikes, and one short distance bike.

Same deal here, the '99GS needs a new home. Really liking the '91 K75S and am thinking that an K1100 RS might be a nice replacement for the GS.

Same deal here, the '99GS needs a new home. Really liking the '91 K75S and am thinking that an K1100 RS might be a nice replacement for the GS.

Thinking about trading a GS for a K bike? Now that's what I call blasphemy! I always thought the K1100RS was a sweet looking bike but haven't had the pleasure of riding one.

I doubt you'll have any trouble selling a GS even in this economy.

For some reason I have never warmed up to the GS. The K75 really dropped into my lap, non running of course, once I got it running it is just so nice on so many levels. When I get back on the GS it is just not the same so it sits. I hope I don't have trouble selling it, the bike is in great condition it is just time for it to move on.
I am going to try to sell it locally first then if not I'll try something else. If it doesn't go this fall I'll keep it until spring and try again then.

I would also have preferred riding the K100RT when I had been riding 4 years. I am now much older and my old airhead fits me better. My first BMW was a 85 K100RT and I loved it except for the heat and the buzz around 60. I replaced it with a K75RT because it was much smoother and cooler. It was later joined by a 86 R80RT that stayed with me when I decided to go to one bike. Of course you can't just have one BMW so I bought my 03 R1200CLC a few years later in the dead of winter with the intention of reselling it a a profit in the spring. The darn thing grew on me and I've now had it almost 3 years while I've had my airhead about 12.

I've now ridden over 40 years and the two slow boxers now fit me perfectly.

Rs vs Ks

I started riding five years ago. I've since owned about twelve BMWs and a few of a couple of other brands. BMW is definitely my choice, however. I started with RTs and GS, all oilheads. At one point, I bought a '98 K12RS and traded it in for an '04 KGT (the ergos I didn't like). I just recently picked up an immacualate '02 K1200RS and am in love again. I have never owned any bike that is as comfortable, intuitive, fast and commanding as this machine. And that includes my 2008 K1200GT which, by comparison, is a heavy tourer qand not much fun.

Once you ride Ks, I don't know how you can go back, really.

Oh, I just finished my first 100,000 miles two weeks ago.

Curt

Different rides for different riders.

While I like my 88 K100RT just fine if it is cool enough outside to enjoy riding it, I find my 06 R1200GS Adv to be a superior machine in almost all respects. That is just my personal opinion based on what I like in a motorcycle. Others will feel differently.

Roy F

I would also have preferred riding the K100RT when I had been riding 4 years. I am now much older and my old airhead fits me better. My first BMW was a 85 K100RT and I loved it except for the heat and the buzz around 60. I replaced it with a K75RT because it was much smoother and cooler. It was later joined by a 86 R80RT that stayed with me when I decided to go to one bike. Of course you can't just have one BMW so I bought my 03 R1200CLC a few years later in the dead of winter with the intention of reselling it a a profit in the spring. The darn thing grew on me and I've now had it almost 3 years while I've had my airhead about 12.

I've now ridden over 40 years and the two slow boxers now fit me perfectly.

I have friends with airheads and while I enjoy the concept of available parts and tinkering I just don't enjoy riding them enough to have ever gone and purchased one. I did ride an R100S (I think that was the next version of the R90S although detuned some) years ago and I liked that a lot but never looked for one. I was not looking for a bike, particularly a BMW, when this K found me, I had only been on a K bike once but I now that I have this one running I really enjoy it. Even the process of getting it running was fun. When I got it I just figured it would be something to fool around with for a bit and then get rid of but I think it will be around for longer than just a bit. Just have to get the GS sold and I can look for another.

Enjoy your boxers!

While I like my 88 K100RT just fine if it is cool enough outside to enjoy riding it, I find my 06 R1200GS Adv to be a superior machine in almost all respects. That is just my personal opinion based on what I like in a motorcycle. Others will feel differently.

Roy F

I owned and '06 Adv. and rode it for 20,000 miles. Wonderful machine for going anywhere, but uneccessarily tall. I think it's tough to compare such an early K bike with any newer generation bike, R or K. On the superslab, there is NO comparison between a modern K and an R. The other thing I don't understand is how you ride an R-GS without cruise control. People are now using them on the highway and cruise is almost essential for avoiding fatigue, anxiety and tickets. I ride 500-800 miles a day when on a trip and won't be without it...and Kaokos don't cut it as a cruise control device.

JMO

Roy F
I've had generous offers to ride other people's bikes. Among those were the Adventure and a K1300GT. The reason I didn't ride em was that I knew they were better in every way to the bikes I own. This is very dangerous ground. I am paying college tuition right now and a new bike would upset existing domestic harmony.

I just keep telling myself that future bargains await. My next bike may be a 3 year old K1600GT.

K-heat, what heat?

I've read a lot about the heat coming off K-bikes and avoiding their use in the summer. Not me. Love my K1200LT anytime of year (except ice). Very good heat management. Both my K and R have their own, seperate uses for me. Wish I could have my pick of 10 different bikes to ride. :bikes

Jer

I've had generous offers to ride other people's bikes. Among those were the Adventure and a K1300GT. The reason I didn't ride em was that I knew they were better in every way to the bikes I own. This is very dangerous ground. I am paying college tuition right now and a new bike would upset existing domestic harmony.
http://www.eilenberger.net/laws.htm - law #13
I just keep telling myself that future bargains await. My next bike may be a 3 year old K1600GT.
BTDT on college tuition. Kept me on a K100RT that I basically grew to hate for 4 years.. but.. in lots of ways it was well worth it. I miss the enjoyable visits to college, and the visits when my son came home for a weekend.

So Don, not only did you suffer financially but you baked for four Julys and four Augusts. I'll bet you ran more than a few yellow lights during those 90+ degree days.

A better metaphor for fatherhood would be hard to find.

I forgot to mention that I just arrived home from work on the K100. It was 60 degrees ... the sweet spot for this bike. When you stop at a light, the slight warmth on your legs actually feels good.

I've had an early K, an R1150GS and now a 2004K12GT

85 K100 - great bike for all around riding, especially good in the City.

R1150GS - Well, this was my ultimate road machine - 11400 miles in 2 1/2 weeks. Loved it on the endless open roads - the lower revs and torque made miles just vanish - and on the dirt and gravel roads of Alaska and Canada it has few equals... but big and kinda clunky for urban riding.

2004 K12GT - Powerful highway machine - great on sweepers and high speed runs - also manageable in the city for urban riding.

Different machines for different rides - wish I still had the 1150GS - but having ridden a 2010 K1200GS - it is a better ride than the 1150 was - smoother, lighter but still has the boxer torque and an even better suspension.:bikes

Back