• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is this what I think it is?

Big SNIP...
But knowing what I know now it seems like a bad idea to dismember this piece of history.
Another SNIP...

You hit the nail on the head right there and I am so pleased to read that!

Here's an idea. You really want to know what you have there? Just clean it up a bit and ride it out the 40th anniversary of the R100RS rally in September out in PA and meet the guy who designed that beautiful machine in person. Meet a whole bunch of us who LOVE that bike and try to keep them on the road where they belong. Everyone will be drooling over what you found! And many will likely try and buy it off you too...

I think you will find that keeping what you have whole there is the way to go. You can cafe anything but reducing a historical artifact to a new trend would really be a shame.

What he said.

You hit the nail on the head right there and I am so pleased to read that!

Here's an idea. You really want to know what you have there? Just clean it up a bit and ride it out the 40th anniversary of the R100RS rally in September out in PA and meet the guy who designed that beautiful machine in person. Meet a whole bunch of us who LOVE that bike and try to keep them on the road where they belong. Everyone will be drooling over what you found! And many will likely try and buy it off you too...

I think you will find that keeping what you have whole there is the way to go. You can cafe anything but reducing a historical artifact to a new trend would really be a shame.

I had to say something; I just couldn't keep my mouth shut. :blah

At only two posts I can only hope our new member listened to the wise sage advice of our resident expert historians. I hope he responds to this thread and acknowledges one way or the other his decision. Just reading this thread gave me a sense of angst regarding the possibility that our young hooah may be taking a plumbers wrench to the rear drive as we speak... oh the horror... the horror. (Said in the tones of Marlan Brando in apocalypse now)

Alright alright you've convinced me. I suppose the world's coolest garage built cafe racer probably shouldn't be built from a museum piece. I'm glad I started this thread and got such a wealth of feedback from you guys. You know, it's kind of funny. When I was talking with the guy at the dealership prior to purchase he said it had some goofy fairing on it that must be aftermarket. Little did I care as it was coming off and going on eBay to fund the project. I just used the "fact" that it was "aftermarket" to knock a couple dollars off the price! The world works in mysterious ways.

I have mixed feelings about all this. I've been dying to dive into a cafe project for about 2yrs and now that I have the bike I'm still waiting with my hands in my pockets. On the other hand, I accidentally ended up with a piece of history sitting in my garage that belongs in the AMA hall of fame in the next county over. Pretty incredible. So I've decided to give it a spit shine and put it up for sale in the marketplace this weekend. Like I said before, this is my first motorcycle and to be frank, an artifact is not what I want. Despite how awesome I think it is.

At this point I just really hope it doesn't take 6 months to find the right kind of niche buyer. But if not you will definitely find it sitting pretty while I'm at the vintage days at mid-ohio this summer! Thanks again everyone, and if anyone knows a good place to find a collector please give me a shout!

Alright alright you've convinced me. I suppose the world's coolest garage built cafe racer probably shouldn't be built from a museum piece. I'm glad I started this thread and got such a wealth of feedback from you guys. You know, it's kind of funny. When I was talking with the guy at the dealership prior to purchase he said it had some goofy fairing on it that must be aftermarket. Little did I care as it was coming off and going on eBay to fund the project. I just used the "fact" that it was "aftermarket" to knock a couple dollars off the price! The world works in mysterious ways.

I have mixed feelings about all this. I've been dying to dive into a cafe project for about 2yrs and now that I have the bike I'm still waiting with my hands in my pockets. On the other hand, I accidentally ended up with a piece of history sitting in my garage that belongs in the AMA hall of fame in the next county over. Pretty incredible. So I've decided to give it a spit shine and put it up for sale in the marketplace this weekend. Like I said before, this is my first motorcycle and to be frank, an artifact is not what I want. Despite how awesome I think it is.

At this point I just really hope it doesn't take 6 months to find the right kind of niche buyer. But if not you will definitely find it sitting pretty while I'm at the vintage days at mid-ohio this summer! Thanks again everyone, and if anyone knows a good place to find a collector please give me a shout!

And there was much rejoicing amongst the airhead purist of the MOA forums. Good luck young hooah in your future endeavors as a BMW airhead customizer. FYI, this year's national in Salt Lake City will have a custom BMW show compition. I'm pretty sure Chris Canterbury will be there, but don't quote me on this one.

Last edited:
Why not just ride the thing?... that is what it was made for.

That's what I would do. Additionally, I would funnel my time and resources into fully restoring the bike to show room quality, all the while, riding her every day. #motorcycle husbandry.

Alright alright you've convinced me. So I've decided to give it a spit shine and put it up for sale in the marketplace this weekend. Like I said before, this is my first motorcycle and to be frank, an artifact is not what I want. Despite how awesome I think it is.

At this point I just really hope it doesn't take 6 months to find the right kind of niche buyer.

Mr. Hayden90

Do the numbers on the frame and engine match and, in his book "The BMW Boxer Twins 1970-1996 Bible", Ian Falloon quotes the following factory numbers as those assigned to Motorsports: 6182001 to 6183592. Do yours fall between these numbers? Which marketplace will you be advertising it in? Inquiring minds want to know...:)... not for me though, for someone else who might want a crack at stewarding a great example of the best of BMW design.

But guys - he wants to build a cafe bike. Better to sell that one and get a clunker to cafe than do it to that one. He recognizes he has something not to be messed with and is selling it so he can buy something else to turn into a cafe bike. Not my cup of tea but it is his and more power to him for asking and listening.

Hayden: Just ride it. That "museum piece" isn't Grandpa's J.C. Whitney tourer---it's the real deal, go-quite-fast, 3-season, cool-as-hell, sophisticated gentleman's bike. With that thing, you might need to start frequenting better "cafes"---ones with actual espresso, and not the party stores with the "5-Hour Energy" shots next to the register. You've stumbled into livin' the dream, sir.

Last edited:
Back