• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is Final Drive Housing Powder Coated? 2009 R1200GS

nblomme

I have a 2009 R1200GS. The BMW dealer recently replaced a seal that was causing some leaking. This was completed under warranty. During this process the dealership scratched the paint when they tried to pop off the black plastic piece (dust cover). They used a screw driver to pry it off. They said there was no really good tool to remove the cover and that sometime scratches happen. Is this true or is it laziness from the mechanical not picking the proper tool or taking the proper time.

This is not something I expected to see, especially when you take it to a professional.

After argument they agreed to repaint the final Drive housing. I did not ask them how they go about doing it, but they said it is outsourced. I was told the shop the use "Paints CadillacÔÇÖs" and they do a good job.

Question: Should I expect the drive to be powder coated to replace the original finish. Or is the original finish even power coated?

Probably just my unpopular opinion, but dings happen. The shop will have the painter apply a small dab of matching paint that evaporates the solvent at air temperature rather than melting the pigment at oven temperature. If done well the end result will be substantially the same.

The main reason for the widespread use of powder coating does not relate to the resulting finish. It is due to equipment and air handling needs, and air quality standards with evaporative solvent paints.

Last edited:
What P said. I agree maybe a little careless, or could have been a slip, "slips happen"

If I couldn't see it from a standing position without looking hard, I would not have raised too much stink, maybe ask for a free coffee mug or something, and part company with the Dealer on good terms.

But that is me, I buy stuff to use it, not collect it.

If you insisted they completely refinish it, you made a HUGE mistake! They will NEVER exactly match the powder coat, and if they paint it, it will not be as durable when it comes to the inevitable stone chips etc. If they do as PG said and "fill" and blend the small scratch, you will have a MUCH better repair, will you still be able to see it, maybe, under close scrutiny, but in the end, that is the only way to go.

Thank you both for the insight on paints and what's to be expected. It was much appreciated.

Aside from inspecting mine periodically for leaks I don't see the FD much. The side case on that side carries my tool set and I "never leave home without it". So I have to squat to see the FD unless I'm way too far back to see a scratch.
So far mine is unblemished but if (when) it gets scatched during a seal replacement it will be by me- I do my own work. Prevents lost or loose parts and makes sure I know enough about the thing to deal with road side problems (only an fpc, so far but only heading toward 40K on my 08RT)
Don't stay hyper about it- its only a bike and you're likely to get more scratches-especially from the tire kids at some places where the words No-Mar seem unknown.

I wouldn't get too worked up over it either. Some understanding can buy you a good relationship with the Service Manager. But, without seeing a picture, it is hard to say. Can you show us a shot of the damage? I imagine you must have gotten a picture.

Yes I have a picture but that's not the point. Let's just let's just say it was obvious that the proper care was not taken. I found out they had had issues before with that mechanic.

When you pay that kind of money you don't expect it to happen. From all the responses it sounds like no big deal so i'm over it and moving on.

FYI- For the record I found out the drives are not power coated anyway.

The reason I ask is to see just how bad it was. I agree that you don't expect that kind of thing to happen. It would be interesting to see how bad it was and posting the picture is not a lot of work.

Dear ??

You're correct - the typical BMW paint process is done using electrostatically charged paint - wet paint, not powder. The reason is the charge causes almost all the paint to end up on the part, and not in the paint-booth vent system, plus it builds up paint on sharp corners, which with a regular spray paint process will be the thinnest part of the finish.

When you have a chance - please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055 - I've added the into to your thread title.. it's useful if you can do that yourself when starting a thread in the tech areas. Good for you - good for others.

Thanks for your cooperation..

BTW - what's your name? We're pretty friendly around here..

I tried finding the picture tonight. No luck. Note to self, never use the wifes camera.

You can see where they used a screw driver in multiple locations around the ring. Nothing to bad, but it was just not right. The dealer admitted the mechanic did wrong and they had problems with him before.

Anyway its in the past. thanks to all

Thank you,
Nate

Back