• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

iPhone 5 Issue with BMW NAV V

pfiedler

He Who Rests Rots!
I have a Sena SMH-10B which I use with an iPhone 5 and a BMW NAV V. I'm having a pairing problem related to phone calls only. Here's the way things are set up:

- iPhone has Smartphone Link installed and is first paired to the NAV V - no problems and all aspects of the Smartphone Link application work fine.
- NAV V is then paired to the SMH-10B using "phone pairing" - no problem, I get GPS guidance info and my music player works and sounds great.
- On the NAV V's main screen, the phone button is greyed out. The NAV V will not send or receive phone calls even though the A2DP bluetooth audio is connected and working. In the NAV V's bluetooth set-up for the iPhone, "Phone Calls" are checked "enabled" as is the Smartphone Link.

I've tried every which way to connect this, but despite it's relative simplicity, I can't get the phone to make or receive phone calls even though it is paired with the NAV V and should work. I've tried the same set-up with no Smartphone Link involved, same thing. The only possible issue might be that the test is being run off the motorcycle (not in the R1200GSW mount)...in other words I'm powering the GPS via USB from my computer but I do have a bluetooth A2DP link to the Sena as mentioned above. Might this be the problem? My bike is still in covered winter mode in the garage :cry. Perhaps I need to try this on the bike as well? I recall reading something a while back about odd NAV V behaviors if it isn't physically connected to the mount on the motorcycle...

So, thanks for any advice that you might have. Will there be spring this year??

Peter

Welcome to the joys of Systems Integration!

It should be easy, right? Well...

I have a Zumo 550, not the Nav, so I might be way off base in what I am going to say.

Seems to me I recall the Zumo has 2 Bluetooth channels. So, the headset communicatior is paired to one channel, and the dumb audio player would be paired to the other channel. The Zumo is the "hub". This is supposed to work and I am about to try the Zumo-Cardo-iPod Nano combo. Would have done this last year, but I got sick, did little riding... This year is different.

I'm betting that when the iPhone is paired up using one Bluetooth channel, you get one function, the phone or the tunes, but not both. If you think about it, you are expecting the iPhone to "know" that you want it to interrupt the audio to let you use the phone when it rings. Or, you are expecting the Nav to "know" it is connected to an iPhone and behave intelligently. That last bit seems to be pretty obvious, but I don't think Garmin has put that bit of integration into play. It would require Apple to do something as well, I think. Might be beyond the Bluetooth protocol - I don't know that for a fact.

Sometimes, dumb-ish devices are easier to integrate.

But, should you learn something that contradicts what I think, please do post it. This is probably a common problem and we are all interested in learning more.

Hi Ed:

Thanks for your message. The way this set-up works is the iPhone pairs with the NAV V for ONLY the Smartphone Link app and the phone itself. I'm taking no music off of the iPhone at all. The music I'm playing is on a micro SD card on the NAV V. The NAV V then connects directly to the Sena via an A2DP protocol connection which provides the turn-by-turn directions and music from the NAV V's mp3 player.

In theory, the phone calls should simply port through to the NAV V as it is set-up to control the phone and to receive and place calls. Thing is the NAV V "sees" the phone (as a phone!), but can't make the connection. That's where the problem lies.

Hope that didn't confuse things for you.

Thanks again for your input.

Peter

Some clarifications

Hi Ed:

Thanks for your message. The way this set-up works is the iPhone pairs with the NAV V for ONLY the Smartphone Link app and the phone itself. I'm taking no music off of the iPhone at all. The music I'm playing is on a micro SD card on the NAV V. The NAV V then connects directly to the Sena via an A2DP protocol connection which provides the turn-by-turn directions and music from the NAV V's mp3 player.

In theory, the phone calls should simply port through to the NAV V as it is set-up to control the phone and to receive and place calls. Thing is the NAV V "sees" the phone (as a phone!), but can't make the connection. That's where the problem lies.

Hope that didn't confuse things for you.

Thanks again for your input.

Peter

I forgot to discuss the phone connection in my setup properly.

The dumb cell phone connects to the Zumo and the Zumo can act as a hands-free unit in the car cradle, which has a speaker, using one Zumo channel. The 2nd Zumo channel sends phone audio to the headset. The Zumo can mute the phone audio to give priority to the GPS directions.

The Cardo has 2 channels, one to the Zumo and one to the iPod (latest one with Bluetooth). The Cardo can mute the iPod if the Zumo is sending audio.
(I think your Sena has 2 channels just like the Cardo, but not certain.)

I tried the audio-on-SD card at one point and I believe I had the same sort of problem you do - it then would not permit the phone to work. That is what prompted me to get the Nano...

It would be easy for you to check this. Stop playing the audio via the NAV. Does the phone now work as a phone? Do you have a car cradle? Does the NAV work as a hands-free without the Sena being in the picture? If so, and you start playing the audio, does it shut down the phone function?

I use Sena 10R and it connects to my Zumo 660. So does the iPhone and it all works.

You could try connecting the iPhone to the Sena unit. That might work.

I have a Sena SMH-10B which I use with an iPhone 5 and a BMW NAV V. I'm having a pairing problem related to phone calls only. Here's the way things are set up:

- iPhone has Smartphone Link installed and is first paired to the NAV V - no problems and all aspects of the Smartphone Link application work fine.
- NAV V is then paired to the SMH-10B using "phone pairing" - no problem, I get GPS guidance info and my music player works and sounds great.
- On the NAV V's main screen, the phone button is greyed out. The NAV V will not send or receive phone calls even though the A2DP bluetooth audio is connected and working. In the NAV V's bluetooth set-up for the iPhone, "Phone Calls" are checked "enabled" as is the Smartphone Link.

I've tried every which way to connect this, but despite it's relative simplicity, I can't get the phone to make or receive phone calls even though it is paired with the NAV V and should work. I've tried the same set-up with no Smartphone Link involved, same thing. The only possible issue might be that the test is being run off the motorcycle (not in the R1200GSW mount)...in other words I'm powering the GPS via USB from my computer but I do have a bluetooth A2DP link to the Sena as mentioned above. Might this be the problem? My bike is still in covered winter mode in the garage :cry. Perhaps I need to try this on the bike as well? I recall reading something a while back about odd NAV V behaviors if it isn't physically connected to the mount on the motorcycle...

So, thanks for any advice that you might have. Will there be spring this year??

Peter

On occasion same issue
On phone select settings/bluetooth
Then try pairing to nav, has always worked for me
Good luck

You have to pair the com system and the phone. Why would you want to take and make calls riding a motorcycle?

You have to pair the com system and the phone. Why would you want to take and make calls riding a motorcycle?

Actually, I don't want/like taking phone calls on a bike or for that matter off a bike! Unfortunately my job is such that I'm on "call" 24/7/365 and need to at least know when somebody is trying to reach me. If I get a call, I always pull off the road and use the phone in a "normal" manner. If I could throw the stupid phone away, I would do it in a heart beat. Until I retire, get fired, run down my phone battery, this is the world I live in such as it is.

I understand that you have to pair the com system and the phone. Been there, done that. Garmin thinks it's an iPhone issue. Oh well...no riding for a while yet as it's just too cold in MA and way too much residual salt and sand on the roads. Maybe by the time the warm weather shows up (July??), the phone issue will be resolved.

I take calls on the bike. My office or the wife. No others. And the call quality is fair, not great.

Would the order in which you pair the devices make a difference? Priorities of some kind perhaps.

I know this is a little late to the party, but I just ran across this while searching for something else.

I believe the Nav V must have a headset paired or it will assume the phone is being paired for the Smartphone Link only. This is the way I use my phone, and I know that was a problem on the initial release of the V software because they didn't allow for a Smartphone Link only phone. As soon as it saw that there wasn't a headset, it would drop the connection because it couldn't support phone operations unless there was a headset. So now, if there is no headset, it will go ahead and connect to the phone for the Smartphone Link.

That new mode may be what is giving you the problem.

I'll bet if you drop all the pairings, then pair the Nav to the Sena (headset), then pair the Nav to the phone, that it will work. This might be what amiles was getting at in his post.

I have the Zumo 590 (same as the Nav V) and it worked just fine when I paired it up like you did. I went through the initial bluetooth setup which pairs the phone first, then the Sena. When I paired my Sena, I used "phone pairing" mode. Did you do the same? I had it set up and working fine to play Pandora from my phone and it would interject with calls if I got one.

Overall I tried it once and didn't like having to reach out and touch the nav to answer or make calls. Much safer using the Sena controls with the Sena paired to the phone and using Siri to dial people. With Sena, you can do multipoint pairing so that you are primarily paired to the phone, but the GPS voice will play in the background as well.

The GPS guru(s) over at ADVRider.com recommended that the Nav V, iPhone and SENA SMH10 be paired in this order:

1) iPhone to SENA intercom (using SENA's phone pairing mode);
2) Nav V to SENA intercom (using SENA's multi-point pairing mode); and
3) iPhone to Nav V.

Doing it this way, you will not be able to use the Media Player on the Nav V. That's not an issue for me as, if I want music, I stream it from my iPhone (you can simply instruct Siri to "shuffle music", or "stop music". You can also stream music from the iPhone using the Pandora App too. The only problem is that, while Siri will open an App using a voice command, Siri cannot stop/close an App)

When re-starting these devices following a shut-down, they suggested re-starting them in this order:

1) turn on iPhone (i also open the Gamin Smartphone Link App at this point too);
2) turn on Nav V; and
3) turn on SENA last.

SMH 10 & Motorrad V Problem Persists

Hi,

I have tried pairing the Motorrad V, iPhone, Smartphone App, with the Sena SMH 10. No matter which way I pair, using multi port for the Nav V to the Sena, and phone pairing for the iPhone to the Sena and multi port for the iPhone to the Nav V, I CANNOT get GPS directions to the headset.

A couple days ago I was able to get viice gps directions, but only if I turned off the bluetooth on the iPhone. Now I can't even get voice directions that way no matter if I pair the gps to the sena with phone or multi port pairing. Sena email support yielded nothing that worked. (They said to pair the iphone to the sena with phone pairing and then the motorrad v to the sena with mutipor. I can yse phone usually, but no gps voice directions.

In middle of a long trip now, and would very much aporeciate any help. I don't see this prob resolved on the thread yet.

Hi,

I have tried pairing the Motorrad V, iPhone, Smartphone App, with the Sena SMH 10. No matter which way I pair, using multi port for the Nav V to the Sena, and phone pairing for the iPhone to the Sena and multi port for the iPhone to the Nav V, I CANNOT get GPS directions to the headset.

A couple days ago I was able to get viice gps directions, but only if I turned off the bluetooth on the iPhone. Now I can't even get voice directions that way no matter if I pair the gps to the sena with phone or multi port pairing. Sena email support yielded nothing that worked. (They said to pair the iphone to the sena with phone pairing and then the motorrad v to the sena with mutipor. I can yse phone usually, but no gps voice directions.

In middle of a long trip now, and would very much aporeciate any help. I don't see this prob resolved on the thread yet.

Pair the iPhone with Nav 5k, and then the Sena with the Nav 5. I pair iPhone with the Zumo 660 and the Sena with it. It all works.

Auto Reboot solved Problem

We
Pair the iPhone with Nav 5k, and then the Sena with the Nav 5. I pair iPhone with the Zumo 660 and the Sena with it. It all works.

I had multi paired GPS TO sSena and phone paired iPone to Sena. Only phone gave me audio. Then as I was riding, the Nav 5 crashed and rebooted itself. Presto! Now have phone and GPS audio. After I shut down bike, I started the bike, the Sena paired with the GPS, but the phone didn't pair until I pressed the Sena button to make a call. Then the phone paired and both GPS and Phone work great with that sequencing every time now.

Last edited:
Back