• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

International Driver's licence for riders from EU in USA?

temesvar

I never thought of it, since, as Canadian, rented cars in Germany, and was never asked for a international
driver's license! Was wondering though, if a German rider has to have a International Drivers license riding in
the US? He was told, by people that frequently ride in the USA, that it is a requirement. I believe that would
be for a longer stay in the USA, but not for a one month. Any one have had some experience in this regard?

I never thought of it, since, as Canadian, rented cars in Germany, and was never asked for a international
driver's license! Was wondering though, if a German rider has to have a International Drivers license riding in
the US? He was told, by people that frequently ride in the USA, that it is a requirement. I believe that would
be for a longer stay in the USA, but not for a one month. Any one have had some experience in this regard?

There is no International Drivers License. There are permits which are merely a translations of your drivers license, typically obtained from places like AAA. IDLs obtained on the internet are pointless and can get you in trouble with the police. IDLs have no legal standing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no International Drivers License. There are permits which are merely a translations of your drivers license, typically obtained from places like AAA. IDLs obtained on the internet are pointless and can get you in trouble with the police. IDLs have no legal standing.

Do you have a factual source for this opinion?

I just renewed my International Driving Permit at AAA. Showed in once in Austria and was told to have a nice trip. Assume they can be purchased in Europe for trips here. Have no idea if they are necessary for motor biking in the US.

Do you have a factual source for this opinion?

Sure. I am a police officer (US) and we recognize other countries operator's licenses. Any so called international driver's license is a red flag which will lead to a more thorough investigation of identity documents. There is no "international driver's license" recognized by any country, unless they really don't have a clue.

In Canada, a resident of any country other than the United States requires an International Drivers Permit which is obtained prior to the individual leaving their home country. Reference: Government of Canada website.

In the US, this is what applies. From the US Government website:

Foreign Nationals Driving in the United States

People who drive in the U.S. must have a valid driver's license. Some states require an International Driving Permit (IDP) from foreign nationals, in addition to a valid license from your own country. Check with the motor vehicle department of each state you will drive in for its requirements.

Short-Term Visitors
If you intend on getting an IDP, you must do so in advance of your travel:

The United States does not issue IDPs to foreign visitors. To get an IDP, contact the motor vehicle department of the country that issued your driver's license.
If you want to rent a car, you may need both your license and an IDP. Find out the rental company's policies and other requirements in advance.
Beware of international driver's license scams.

Last edited:
Sure. I am a police officer (US) and we recognize other countries operator's licenses. Any so called international driver's license is a red flag which will lead to a more thorough investigation of identity documents. There is no "international driver's license" recognized by any country, unless they really don't have a clue.

With all due respect, "I am a police officer" is not a factual basis for an opinion. It reflects what you do but not necessarily what the world does. When I was stopped at a checkpoint in Namibia the officer did not care about my Kansas drivers license. He wanted to see the yellow booklet issued by AAA.

Post #6 rather factually seems to address the issue.

I think there is a terminology issue here. It seems International Drivers "Permit" and International Drivers "License" are two different terms used interchangeably by us amateurs. When I hear either term I think of the AAA document I was advised to get and which was recognized and understood in southern Africa.

Last edited:
I was just over in Norway last year and rented a Volkswagen for a couple of days on my US license. Probably differs by country or even individual districts in countries. If it's as simple as getting a note from an insurance agency its probably good preventative practice to do so to minimize any of the Murphy's Law issues that seem to pop up when traveling in different countries. I didn't realize it could be a problem on my trip, but now that I'm aware of it, I'd do the paperwork just in case. I do remember all the way back in 1970 while in the Army in Vietnam, that I had to pass a driver's exam for an international license in order to be able to drive my company Captain around (2/17 Air Calvary, 101st Airborne out of FB Eagle) but thought it absurd to have to have a international license under the circumstances.:banghead

With all due respect, "I am a police officer" is not a factual basis for an opinion. It reflects what you do but not necessarily what the world does. When I was stopped at a checkpoint in Namibia the officer did not care about my Kansas drivers license. He wanted to see the yellow booklet issued by AAA.

Post #6 rather factually seems to address the issue.

I think there is a terminology issue here. It seems International Drivers "Permit" and International Drivers "License" are two different terms used interchangeably by us amateurs. When I hear either term I think of the AAA document I was advised to get and which was recognized and understood in southern Africa.

OK. In the US there is no international drivers license. Read the IDP. It clearly states it is a translation. It also states that you must have your operators license with it. I do this stuff for a living; I play by the rules; I research the rules. When we devolve to a world government, then there might be an international driver's license. Right now, OLs are issued by states or nations; there is no "international".

https://web.archive.org/web/20071124104726/http://www.6towns.com/driving/UNconv.html

My reading suggests that the participating states agree to recognize the driving privileges accorded by other participating states without requiring drivers to be tested. As a signatory the US should accept the combo of an IDP + another signatory's licence as valid. The inclusion of translations is incidental to the primary purpose.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

https://web.archive.org/web/20071124104726/http://www.6towns.com/driving/UNconv.html

My reading suggests that the participating states agree to recognize the driving privileges accorded by other participating states without requiring drivers to be tested. As a signatory the US should accept the combo of an IDP + another signatory's licence as valid. The inclusion of translations is incidental to the primary purpose.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

That is correct, except that IDPs only having standing if that government requires it. They key points are (1) the IDP is only a translation, and (2) the local national or state government sets their requirement. Since they likely want their citizens to have their operators license accepted, they accept the visitors home OL. The "host" nation determines how long they will accept the other countries OL as valid. It is generally not indefinite.

I don’t want to get involved in the legal debate. Rather, I am answering the OP from a more practical point of view. Not all US drivers licenses are equal for all purposes we use them for in the US. The sound advice is to check with the states your friend intends to drive in for any requirements to operate a motor vehicle of any kind.

The secondary consideration, and potentially more important question, is insurance. What are the requirements of the insurance companies that will be covering your friend in the US. It may not be required to operate and no matter what you think of the IDL, arcane language from a day when they were the coming rage could get in the way. Speaking solely from my personal non legal and undocumented personal experience, insurance companies love arcane language and complications.

I don’t want to get involved in the legal debate. Rather, I am answering the OP from a more practical point of view. Not all US drivers licenses are equal for all purposes we use them for in the US. The sound advice is to check with the states your friend intends to drive in for any requirements to operate a motor vehicle of any kind.

It seems to me it is more practical to just get an IDP perchance some states would like to see one rather than attempt to poll the several states. It has been my rather consistent experience that it can be a real crapshoot trying to get reliable answers on such obscure topics.

The IDL isn't a permit or a license but a standard document issued by a recognized motoring association such as the AAA in the US or CAA in Canada.
It is a standard format document that translates your actual driver's license. You must show both together.
I've use mine to rent motorcycles in Europe.

I would say to the OP's friend it is preferable to have one if your DL isn't in English. Local authorities may or may not recognize your DL as valid and issue you a citation for driving without a valid DL if you don't have your IDL.

It's not much trouble to get one and just a few $$ to get one. It is valid for 1 year.

Driving/riding in California

The problem with the question is that the Federal Government is not the major player in licensing of drivers in the US, the states are. Here is the answer for California:

(Amended by Stats. 1990, Ch. 1360, Sec. 10.)

"12502.
*"*(a)*The following persons may operate a motor vehicle in this state without obtaining a driver’s license under this code:

"(1)*A nonresident over the age of 18 years having in his or her immediate possession a valid driver’s license issued by a foreign jurisdiction of which he or she is a resident, except as provided in Section 12505."

Sect 12505 is a complex discussion of domicile.

For all the specifics, see: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...division=6.&title=&part=&chapter=1.&article=1.

Brant

As Paul noted, bmwroadsterca's link sums it up very well - Recommended for US and Canada.

In addition to insurance companies wanting foreign drivers to carry a valid IDP, all international rental companies that I've dealt with do state that they require it for anyone whose license is issued from outside the country of rental location (if there is a language difference between the two). Like others here, I have very rarely had to produce mine, but in the dozen or so times that I have rented a vehicle in Europe, I have had to produce my IDP twice.

They are an expense, a minor pain and frustration to obtain, but it is far, far better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it.

That is correct, except that IDPs only having standing if that government requires it. They key points are (1) the IDP is only a translation, and (2) the local national or state government sets their requirement. Since they likely want their citizens to have their operators license accepted, they accept the visitors home OL. The "host" nation determines how long they will accept the other countries OL as valid. It is generally not indefinite.

An IDP, which we should assume is what is in question here, is valid for 1 year from the date of issue for the US and most other countries, with the exception of about 18 of the 150+ signatory countries that only recognize them on a "per visit" basis.

Can you explain the difference between an OL (operator's license - which you've referenced several times) and a DL (Driver's License) I know that CDL refers to a Commercial Driver's License and and GDL refers to a Graduated Driver's License, but am not certain of the actual meaning of an OL. My experience has been limited and confusing regarding an OL. I've seen it used in conjunction with commercial vehicles where some vehicles have specific accreditation requirements, such as needing an air-brake endorsement for driving semis, etc., but that's all.

As Paul noted, bmwroadsterca's link sums it up very well - Recommended for US and Canada.

In addition to insurance companies wanting foreign drivers to carry a valid IDP, all international rental companies that I've dealt with do state that they require it for anyone whose license is issued from outside the country of rental location (if there is a language difference between the two). Like others here, I have very rarely had to produce mine, but in the dozen or so times that I have rented a vehicle in Europe, I have had to produce my IDP twice.

They are an expense, a minor pain and frustration to obtain, but it is far, far better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it.

An IDP, which we should assume is what is in question here, is valid for 1 year from the date of issue for the US and most other countries, with the exception of about 18 of the 150+ signatory countries that only recognize them on a "per visit" basis.

Can you explain the difference between an OL (operator's license - which you've referenced several times) and a DL (Driver's License) I know that CDL refers to a Commercial Driver's License and and GDL refers to a Graduated Driver's License, but am not certain of the actual meaning of an OL. My experience has been limited and confusing regarding an OL. I've seen it used in conjunction with commercial vehicles where some vehicles have specific accreditation requirements, such as needing an air-brake endorsement for driving semis, etc., but that's all.

The difference between an Ol and a DL is semantics. The agency the produced it puts the name on. Some states (US) use "driver's", others use "operator's". The terms are used interchangeably.

The individual states also determine how long you can be in that state before you have to have that state's license. That is normally a residency issue. The Feds do have some say, as with military and their dependents under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act. Complex rules with local variations. As a cop in my state, I only need to see a valid OL/DL and you are generally good to go. That includes foreign licenses. I may ask questions about residency because Virginia has rules about when you have to get a VA license. That may lead to a warning or a ticket depending on the specific circumstances, and of course the person's behavior or attitude.

Post #6 by BC1100S is exactly what is required in my state, New Jersey.
In my experience, this is also true for many states.

Also, since a foreigner is not a US resident, for any traffic violation that results in a summons being issued, a trip to police headquarters and the posting of bail may be some police agency's procedure.

Also, what is legally required and what becomes unwritten policy can be very different. Speaking from my own LEO experience, unless you are involved in a crash, a police officer is reluctant to get involved and will just let you go with a warning. This is especially true in inner cities and areas where the police are very busy and have orders not to take themselves out of service for minor offenses.

The federal government has nothing to do with driver licenses. That issue is left to the states.
What everyone across the pond needs to realize is that the U.S.A. is sometimes like 51 or so sovereign countries. One size very rarely fits all when discussing the USA's laws and laws of the road.

Back