• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Integral ABS problem

john1691

My friend Doug's '02 K1200RS's ABS failure light came on whilke riding. He scheduled it at the local dealer, and when he got it there described what was happening. The mechanic told him it was probably just low on fluid, and to fill it up and return to have the 'puter reset. The mechanic told him to not only check the front and rear resevoirs, but also the one under the tank. Clymer doesn't mention this at all, and with the tank off, he can't seem to locate the mystery resevoir. This was the bike given to him "Would you help provide a free BMW" by mostly MOA members, and I did most of the rebuild work, but didn't have an issue with the brakes, other than bleeding, which a dealer did. Any ideas???

My friend Doug's '02 K1200RS's ABS failure light came on whilke riding. He scheduled it at the local dealer, and when he got it there described what was happening. The mechanic told him it was probably just low on fluid, and to fill it up and return to have the 'puter reset. The mechanic told him to not only check the front and rear resevoirs, but also the one under the tank. Clymer doesn't mention this at all, and with the tank off, he can't seem to locate the mystery resevoir. This was the bike given to him "Would you help provide a free BMW" by mostly MOA members, and I did most of the rebuild work, but didn't have an issue with the brakes, other than bleeding, which a dealer did. Any ideas???

I take it filling the fluid in the 2 resiviors did not clear the fault? My surprise.

The sensors in the reserviors?

Well, the mechanic must have been thinking of another model, as there is no third resevior. Doug ended up taking it back to the dealership where they completely flushed and reblead the system. They didn't find any leaks, so I'm not sure why the level would have been low, unless they didn't do it right the first time, aboiut a month ago.......It was $78.40, so not a huge deal, but I sure hope it doesn't happen again. I really enjoy my ABS II as apposed to these integrated ones!

Well, the mechanic must have been thinking of another model, as there is no third resevior. Doug ended up taking it back to the dealership where they completely flushed and reblead the system. They didn't find any leaks, so I'm not sure why the level would have been low, unless they didn't do it right the first time, aboiut a month ago.......It was $78.40, so not a huge deal, but I sure hope it doesn't happen again. I really enjoy my ABS II as apposed to these integrated ones!

That was a deal, takes 2 to 3 hours to flush the brakes.... Should not have, I would still go with low fluid.

I think the servo brakes rock. I had a 98 K12RS, is stopped ok... I have an 02 with servo assist, it stops way faster.

I rode a K12R Sport with the latest generation brakes. I liked the feel, would prefer them in a performance setting lake racing. They stop the bike quickly once they grab. However, in a sudden onset braking situation, they feel like the have a delay until they grab. It was unsettling, comparatively there is no perceptable delay with the servos. They ABS cycles way faster than the prior generation.

On the 98 it was easy to activate the abs, on the new one, very hard and when you do on pavement, it is hard to tell.

My life, I'll keep my servos thank you!

God Bless

:stick Someone didn't do all the work.

so hows Doug and the bike You sir, did a wonderful thing.:bow :clap

All's well. We (Doug and I) are taking the day off tomorrow, along with another friend and our wives, to tour the Yuengling brewery, about an hour and a half from here. Then out to lunch and a meandering ride home. Doug loves the bike, still has a hard time believing we all pitched in on it for him.

Back