• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I'm no Brook Reams...

justabill

And I am not gonna try.

That said, I am keeping a bit of an online diary of my current R80 RT rebuild. Also a few bits from my other bikes and stuff.

In the end, I'm just a guy building a motorcycle in my basement. It's messy, and I am learning as I go. Still, it may be entertaining for some.

https://justabill.org

Looking forward to it! Always good to have multiple references and guidance to tending to the bikes! :thumb

And I am not gonna try.

That said, I am keeping a bit of an online diary of my current R80 RT rebuild. Also a few bits from my other bikes and stuff.

In the end, I'm just a guy building a motorcycle in my basement. It's messy, and I am learning as I go. Still, it may be entertaining for some.

https://justabill.org

Get the Clymers and the Haynes manuals and you can do most of the work yourself. Maybe build yourself a lift so you don't have to work on the floor...maybe two feet up works.

If you're going through the engine and transmission, there are some special tools you'll need. There's an active Airhead group in the Chicago area and you can get local help and expertise at an Airhead Tech Day..pretty much a see one, do one, teach one. There are all kinds of current upgrades like LED inserts for the tail and headlights, an instrument cluster, and digital ignition if the bean can crap out..usually around 80-120K miles. At around 50-60K miles, the heads and tranny MAY need a refresh. You didn't mention the mileage or if it came with records, stored inside or in the rain.

If you start scratching your head on something, post it here.

Brook

I am not Brook either but I will say between his videos and Boxer Two Valves, I got out of tight spots in my last bike rebuild. Sadly I have found the newest version of Clymer tries to cover too many versions of bikes. I have two Clymer books, an old one that covered up to I believer 85 Airheads and a new one that tries to cover 70 to 95. That one is just about useless unless you have the time and patience to try to decipher just what applies to the bike you are working on. It does have color wiring diagrams, a plus.

WE are lucky to have the internet available now. Somewhere on the net is information or fix it videos that didn't exist 20 years ago. Yeah some are caw caw, and I laugh when I watch them, but the good ones save a lot of strife.

I never documented my work on bikes because frankly I am not the videographer Brook or Boxer two valve guys are. LOL, I could never figure out a way to hold a camera showing what I was doing to be of any use. Or, the camera shake was so bad it made me sick to watch.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the restoration and the ride after. St.

Hello Bill - in addition to +1 on what the other folks have said, do you know about "Snowbum's BMW Motorcycle Repair" website? The Vintage BMW Owners group has moved it to their website, with Snowbum's blessing. It contains a TON of Airhead info (although I took a look at your website, and you've already done a lot of on-the-job-learning).

http://tinyurl.com/mr328ybf

> Get the Clymers and the Haynes manuals

I have learned that the online version of the Haynes manuals have _color_ pictures that are much more useful than the B&W pictures in their hardcopy manuals.

Thanks all.

I've been through many of Brook's videos and articles. They are, by far, the best at conveying specifics, what's important, and why. William Plam's videos on converting an R80 RT have been a great source to borrow ideas. I had decided to do an RT to S conversion before finding that series, but it's great to see him go through the process. I've also got a new and old version of Clymer's, all the Chicago group tech stuff, some period correct engine tech material from BMW, and a full technical service manual on the way from Germany. I also have all the relevant Cycleworks tools.

Snowbum's material is excellent for what it is. Personally, I find it to be more narrative than technical. That's great for the background and history, but not always useful for a quick reference source. I do wish there were more material out there on monolever specific details. Boxer2Valve seems to have the most in the video series, though it's frustrating that they never share the torque values. Maybe Brook's next project will be a mono. ;)

For the R80 and my current project, I just wanted to share some bits. Not trying to play at being an expert, or creating an authoritative source, but just putting up a build diary of sorts.

Back