• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I'm angry, thankful, and disappointed -- rear wheel almost fell off

I'm mostly angry right now. Today was the first time I took out the 2004 R1100S (which was just in for service + battery + tires). I got about 10 miles from home and the bike started wobbling badly. I immediately stopped and checked it out. What I found still gives me the shivers. The rear wheel only had two of the four bolts, and those two were loose. Luckily I carry tools and had the right socket (17mm) to fit. I was able to crank down the two bolts good enough to ride home at 15 mph in first gear. Also lucky that the two bolts were opposite each other and not side-by-side -- I would have probably crashed. I was also extremely lucky that I was going to get gas so I rode into town instead of away from town. If I had gone the other direction I would have probably got the bike up to 70-80 MPH. Going into town I only got up to about 50 MPH.

The rear brake disc is scarred and no telling about damage to the caliper. Also the two holes in the wheel, that had bolts, may be buggered up due to being loose -- possibly the bolts also.

You can't believe how upset I am, how lucky I feel, and how disappointed I am in whoever it was that installed the new tires. If they were in front of me, I'd be doing a lot of yelling.

I'll admit that this was partly my fault. I used to double-check wheels after new tires were installed, just because then it was the stupid Honda shop or Harley shop. I didn't really think I had to double-check a BMW dealership's svc dept.

I've already contacted the service dept via e-mail. I will call them when they open Tuesday morning.

Last edited:
Ticked Off

I'm mostly angry right now. Today was the first time I took out the 2004 R1100S (which was just in for service + battery + tires). I got about 10 miles from home and the bike started wobbling badly. I immediately stopped and checked it out. What I found still gives me the shivers. The rear wheel only had two of the four bolts, and those two were loose. Luckily I carry tools and had the right socket (17mm) to fit. I was able to crank down the two bolts good enough to ride home at 15 mph in first gear. Also lucky that the two bolts were opposite each other and not side-by-side -- I would have probably crashed. I was also extremely lucky that I was going to get gas so I rode into town instead of away from town. If I had gone the other direction I would have probably got the bike up to 70-80 MPH. Going into town I only got up to about 50 MPH.

The rear brake disc is scarred and no telling about damage to the caliper. Also the two holes in the wheel, that had bolts, may be buggered up due to being loose -- possibly the bolts also.

You can't believe how upset I am, how lucky I feel, and how disappointed I am in whoever it was that installed the the new tires. If they were in front of me, I'd be doing a lot of yelling.

I'll admit that this was partly my fault. I used to double-check wheels after new tires were installed, just because then it was the stupid Honda shop or Harley shop. I didn't really think I had to double-check a BMW dealership's svc dept.

I've already contacted the service dept via e-mail. I will call them when they open Tuesday morning.

Glad you weren't hurt. That's a serious screw up on the part of the technician. If the dealer is honorable, they'll take care of you. Mistakes can happen, but geez, that's a big one. I do my own tires and go through a check list each time. One of the items of course, is.....torque wheel bolts to 77 ft. lbs. Yes?

You know, it's dangerous enough out there exposed on two wheels. It's something like this that makes me think about hanging up my helmet.

One thing for sure. I lapsed. I will never trust another mechanic where the wheels are involved -- I will check every time.

One positive thing: a guy on Harley stopped and asked me if I needed help, said he was carrying a lot of tools. I was already tightening the remaining two wheel bolts so I thanked him and sent him on his way.

I'm glad to read you're alright, and your safety and the safety of others wasn't jeopardize. That's the good of it...
I'd be really pissed too. I suppose you'll be talking to the GM or Service Manager where ever you took the bike.(??) I'd be checking out the wheel and the lugs; they might be out of spec. Plus the caliper/rotor. Sounds like they need to step up and make good.
Good luck with it and please post the outcome.

Yes, I will definitely post the outcome. But the shop is closed on Mondays so it will be Tuesday morning at the earliest, unless the service manager reads his e-mail when off work.

Another reason I'm thankful is this: I ride like the old man that I am. I don't ride fast on the curves or the straights. Oh, once in a while I'll get my bikes up to the ton on the interstate, but that's about it. There's a long straight section of the country road that I live off of that is posted 50 MPH and I occasionally get up to 80. I used to think I was some kind of Joe Racer when I was young, but I really wasn't very good. But even back then I was more careful than anyone I rode with. I think I didn't have an accident today because I'm more cautious -- some of my riding buddies would say "too cautious."

Here is a checklist of things the dealer should check and deal with as needed:

1. Threads in the crownwheel (hub). As the bolts were backing out these threads might have been damaged.

2. The brake disk. It was probably damaged when the wheel wobbled. Also the brake pads should be checked.

3. Rear wheel ABS/speed sensor and the teeth on the wheel sensor ring. It is probable that the teeth are OK and the sensor ground on a bit.

4. All of the wheel bolts should be replaced as a matter of course.

5. The mounting holes in the wheel may be deformed. If so the wheel should be replaced.

Good luck!

Here is a checklist of things the dealer should check and deal with as needed:

1. Threads in the crownwheel (hub). As the bolts were backing out these threads might have been damaged.

2. The brake disk. It was probably damaged when the wheel wobbled. Also the brake pads should be checked.

3. Rear wheel ABS/speed sensor and the teeth on the wheel sensor ring. It is probable that the teeth are OK and the sensor ground on a bit.

4. All of the wheel bolts should be replaced as a matter of course.

5. The mounting holes in the wheel may be deformed. If so the wheel should be replaced.

Good luck!
Thanks for that list.

Some good news. The BMW dealership's service manager just called me -- he saw the e-mail that I sent the dealership. He mentioned almost all the same things you just stated. They will pick up my bike from my house early Tuesday morning and take it to the shop.

Nice to hear the service manager has already contacted you on a Sunday and made a plan to repair the mistakes. I always say the measure of an organization is not how they act whenever things go well, but how they react to problems. So far, it would seem this dealership is on top of it.

Nice to hear the service manager has already contacted you on a Sunday and made a plan to repair the mistakes. I always say the measure of an organization is not how they act whenever things go well, but how they react to problems. So far, it would seem this dealership is on top of it.
Yes. It's a step in the right direction.

You know, the reason I have BMWs is because of the dealership -- I like them. I like the owner, the bookkeeper, the two sales guys, the service manager, and the parts/cashier guy.

Glad to hear you are okay.

Did you ride that home from the dealer after the service, or was it trailered? You mentioned that ......"today was the first time I tookout the 2004 R1100S" is why I asked.

Still pretty scary, though.

Glad to hear you are okay.

Did you ride that home from the dealer after the service, or was it trailered? You mentioned that ......"today was the first time I tookout the 2004 R1100S" is why I asked.

Still pretty scary, though.
I trailered my bike from home to the dealer for service. I do that with all my bikes. And then I also pick the bike up with the trailer -- a bit of a PITA but believe me, it's much less hassle than trying to get my wife to follow me. :banghead

Besides the dealership is about a 45 min (awful, thru town) drive from where I live.

Last edited:
I trailered my bike from home to the dealer for service. I do that with all my bikes. And then I also pick the bike up with the trailer -- a bit of a PITA but believe me, it's much less hassle than trying to get my wife to follow me. :banghead

Besides the dealership is about a 45 min drive from where I live.

I sort of supected that. DOH, if you would have ridden that from the dealer, the story would have had a different ending. :banghead

My trailer is a Trailer In a Bag (no longer in business) and is the lightest one I found for pulling behind my Scion xB. I have it partially disassembled in my shed, making it a PITA to use too, but made it real easy to get my cruiser in for service (before I got married.) My brother lives nearby and can chase me, but I choose not to burden him. I have yet to trailer my new RT. I have it in for its run-in service and wifey followed me. She really loves the RT and does not mind. I just have to time her errands around service schedule time. HA

Great to hear the customer aspect of that dealer's service is now part of your experience. Like he said...." it's how they react.." is what really counts.

I sort of supected that. DOH, if you would have ridden that from the dealer, the story would have had a different ending. :banghead

My trailer is a Trailer In a Bag (no longer in business) and is the lightest one I found for pulling behind my Scion xB. I have it partially disassembled in my shed, making it a PITA to use too, but made it real easy to get my cruiser in for service (before I got married.) My brother lives nearby and can chase me, but I choose not to burden him. I have yet to trailer my new RT. I have it in for its run-in service and wifey followed me. She really loves the RT and does not mind. I just have to time her errands around service schedule time. HA

Great to hear the customer aspect of that dealer's service is now part of your experience. Like he said...." it's how they react.." is what really counts.
Yep, trailering a bike is kind of a pain. It takes me about 30 minutes to attach the trailer and load the bike and about the same time to unload. But then I'm not dependent on other people's schedules. The guys at the dealership help me load the bike -- I need no help at all unloading a bike. It's of course easier to load a light bike (R9T) and a bit more of a challenge loading a heavier bike (K1200RS).

Bottom line with this incident is that I re-learned a lesson I used to know and forgot: Double-check when wheels have been removed from bike for service.

It sounds like that the dealer will step up and make things right. This of course doesn't excuse the fact that somebody F'd up big time.
Things like this make me happy I can do 99% of the work myself. The remaining 1% being warranty work....

Unfortunately, this kind of thing happens all too often. A good while back, I took a "06 R1200RT to a BMW dealership to have the final drive replaced. After the final drive was replaced, and during the ride home, I noticed the ABS was not working. I also noticed that several of the fairing screws were missing. After that experience I started taking my bike to the another BMW dealership. It is a longer ride, but I like long rides, love the town, and I have friends there.

My father had a similar experience after getting new tires. During the drive to work the next day he heard a loud noise, felt a jolt, and then to add insult to injury he saw his rear driver's side wheel and new tire pass him on the left side of the road.

Glad no one was hurt. Let us know what the dealership says. And double-check the bolts to see if the dealership replaces them.

Good Luck!

I've had 9 hours to think about this. You don't realize how much you put your life in the hands of a motorcycle mechanic, more so than an auto mechanic. I've been retired for almost 8 years from a life-long job where, as a computer programmer, I couldn't possibly physically hurt someone if I made a mistake, at least with the software I worked on. But a motorcycle mechanic really can kill someone with a mistake. I'm feeling more and more like hanging up my helmet. I've been riding for over 50 years and maybe I've pushed my luck to the limit and this is fate telling me to quit. I'm really tempted to sell all my bikes. I realize that I should have checked the wheels -- that part is my fault. Maybe my judgement is getting faulty in old age. Maybe it's time.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this kind of thing happens all too often. A good while back, I took a "06 R1200RT to a BMW dealership to have the final drive replaced. After the final drive was replaced, and during the ride home, I noticed the ABS was not working. I also noticed that several of the fairing screws were missing. After that experience I started taking my bike to another BMW dealership. It's a longer ride, but I love long rides, the town, and I have friends there.

My father had a similar experience after getting new tires. During the drive to work the next day he heard a loud noise, felt a jolt, and then to add insult to injury he saw his rear driver's side wheel and new tire pass him on the left side of the road.

Glad no one was hurt. Let us know what the dealership says. And double-check the bolts to see if the dealership replaces them. And this is just me, but I wouldn't let a bad mechanic cause me to quit riding. I'd think about it a while. After all, the same thing could happen to you when you get new car tires.

Good Luck!

E.

This is the danger of a single-sided swingarm. It is mandatory that the 4 lug bolts be in place and properly torqued. For a normal two-sided swingarm with its large axle running thru the center of the wheel secured with a large axle nut sort of precludes a wheel just falling off, even if the axle nut is not torqued down all the way and the cotter key is missing entirely. Of course it's possible for the wheel in a normal two-sided swingarm to fall off, but it is much less likely.

Last edited:
Back