• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I REALLY, honestly enjoy stupidly cold weather

B

BUBBAZANETTI

i know this may sound downright blasphemous on a motorcycle forum, but something about the freezing cold overjoys me.

as i've probably complained about before, NYC has pretty wimpy weather, low snowfall totals, never gets much below 20 and well, it's a giant city, so things are always pretty accessible, even in times of a "weather emergency" (you know, like 11" of snow or the thermometer getting down to 19 degrees). so anyway, it's been WAY cold up in New England lately. yesterday was around -15 in central MA with 50 mph gusts, -25 last night. i got up this AM, round 6:30 or so and it was 3, probably -15 with the mild wind. i walked into the living room and said "dad, we're going climbing, right now" he looked at me, looked at the thermometer and looked back at me rather perplexed. "that's right dad, we're gonna go climb Mt Monadnock"

now this isn't a particularly killer mountain in the summer months. a good family day hike with some mildly challenging sections, usually it can be done in about 4-6 hrs depending on skill and trail chosen. i'm fairly certain it's the most climbed mountain in America and only about 35 min from my parent's place, which happens to be located in the central MA tundra that extends into southern NH. after some hemming an hawing, my dad said "alright" and went to dig out his "winter clothes" an odd combo of hiking and hunting gear. while he was doing that, the weather man showed a map with a nice -20 current temp right on top of the mountain. my mom laughed and changed the channel before my dad saw it.

we got up to the mountain and the thermometer on the truck read 3, my dad rolled his eyes and we climbed out, put on our crampons, got out the ice axe and the treking poles with the summer rubber tips removed in favor of the ice stabbing metal end and began our ascent. easy going through the first mile or so, then the frozen ice rivers which run directly through the trails showed themselves. it was around this time my dad realized he'd lost a crampon, its strap had snapped. i offered him one of mine as i had better boots, but he declined and just avoided most of the ice by hiking around the trail. as we cleared the treeline we were greeted with stunning views, but also an amazingly vicious 35 mph wind at around 0 degrees outside temp. luckily, our effort expended climbing kept us warm and we were able to find shelter behind a rock face. we could see the top but my dad was happy with his hike. he pulled out a Cliff Bar and told me to go on, i said i'd be back in 15 and sprinted the last 1/3 of a mile to the top. out of breath i surveyed the horizon, noted the oddity of not seeing another soul on America's most climbed mountain and headed back down to my dad, making sure to fall into a 6 ft tall snow drift on the way. we met just a couple of solo climbers on the way back down and managed to actually find the lost crampon.

it was a great freezing day with my pops.:thumb

on top of (southern) new hampshire!
753336054_X75aW-M.jpg

watch out for that ice dad
753335987_gyMMY-M.jpg

a balmy twenty below
753335938_78zvi-M.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with you on this, Bubba. The key to enjoying the seasons, to me, is having year round sports. Spring brings hiking and bicycling and motorcycling. Summer adds in Water Skiing. Fall is great for more hikes and riding. Finally, breaking out the snow skis in Winter is great. If you only do one thing, you're missing a lot.

Robo

Well Bubba, some folks thought you were just nuts and I said "NO HE ISN'T".

Now .........................................

Minus 20, that's getting brisk!

-20F = -28C

Yah, I'll go for brisk. At that temp we're zipping up the jacket all the way and thinking about a second layer. We normally don't declare it to be really cold until you get in the car in the morning and the seats feel like a park bench.

But I think it's great that your Dad went along! Rough year here , no male parents left. Enjoy his company, it sure looks like you did!

Winter without snow is just the "Dreary Season". Besides, cross country and downhill skiing would be a drag without the beautiful white stuff. Outdoor skating rinks are fun as well. I love it until the end of March. However, snow must be gone by the end of March.

-20F = -28C

Yah, I'll go for brisk. At that temp we're zipping up the jacket all the way and thinking about a second layer. We normally don't declare it to be really cold until you get in the car in the morning and the seats feel like a park bench.

you Canadians really know how to make a guy feel "average":laugh

Bubba,

Your love of cold weather tells me you don't have arthritis. I now know why old people move to Arizona and Florida. I'm gonna have to change from BuddingGeezer to Full Bloom. If I'd a know I would live so long I wouldn't of been so rambunctious. :brad

Ralph Sims

Great story, Bubba. I'm sure you know how lucky you are to have a dad that enjoys sharing that kind of experience. Personally, I loved outdoor ice skating when we lived in New England. On really big lakes the ice cracking sounded like cannon shots. But breathing in that really, really cold air makes you feel great. Thanks for sharing.

It's good to know there are people that enjoy all the cold weather.. I prefer the mild winters of central Texas.:thumb My arthritis and cold just don't mix well..
I grew up in Pittsburgh, spent eighteen months in Argentia NFLD with follow on assignment to Keflavik Iceland for a year.. plus three winters in Germany.. That pretty much gave me enough snow/ice/blizzards/cold weather to last a lifetime.. :p

...you Canadians really know how to make a guy feel average...BubbaZanetti

Actually, I consider -15 F as the starting point for pretty serious cold.

But after spending a few days in Saskatchewan over Christmas, things seem relatively balmy.

Up here the elementary school kids go outside for recess at temperatures down to -20 F. -20 is also the temperature that defines the line between being able to have fun outside taking in events like riding SnoGos, and being too cold to enjoy anything. There is an allure about being outside in very cold temperatures. The woods become completely silent except for the squeak of your boots on the snow. You learn to gage the temperature by the tone of the squeak and the stiffness of your clothing. At very cold temperatures nothing mechanical works as intended. Even a car that has been plugged in to keep the engine warm is a real treat to drive in. The tires have a flat spot frozen into them, the suspension is frozen stiff and even the foam in the seats is rock hard. There have been incidences of tires cracking when it gets to -60 here. Yet I get a sense of accomplishment by being able to function in remote areas in extreme cold conditions. We go on long SnoGo trips to remote areas. We have to carry everything we need and be able to keep everything and everyone functioning. No cell phone service and few other people if any; it is both exciting and rewarding. We were caught out once in temps approaching -60 and while it was at times a difficult experience it is also one of the most memorable experiences my wife, daughter and I have to share.

So, no, I do not find it odd that you enjoy cold weather. Now how you can stand living in NYC is another question.

I have lived in the Midwest all my life.
There is a little trick I've learned about Winter mental health and here it is:
Embrace Winter or suffer.
Deep, huh?

Great stuff Bubba.

Dad came out here for my retirement a couple years ago, and went elk hunting in the Rockies with me. We had a great time, and it was my way of returning the favor to him for taking me hunting as a kid in Pennsylvania. I think it's important to mix in some other pastimes or hobbies along with motorcycling, and also to share and carry some over from one generation to another. A change of seasons and a proper winter help some of us do that.:thumb

Back