• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I just loaded Ubuntu on my PC!

Rapid_Roy

I used Wubi, to load Ubuntu (a form of Linux-a PC operating system for laypeople)
It loads it as a file, and creates a menu when you turn on your computer to load Windows or Ubuntu. Why, you ask? Because I could.:ha

It has many programs built into it, like Firefox (web browser) and email and picture and DVD and Cd burning software. It's all running under Gnome, which gives it a desktop appearance similar to windows, as Linux is text based. People dislike typing words in, they want to click on stuff. So far so good, except I couldn't see the embedded video in the Automatic Garage door opener thread. I had to reboot and pick windows again to see it. I am sure I can tweak it to get it to work though. It's kind of fun. I recommend it for somebody who just wants to mess around with Linux. If I get familiar enough, I may install it stand alone. You have to get a different version though, Wubi is just for windows. It's all free, open source code, which is cool.

I was running Ubuntu for a while then I went to a Mac. Now I am looking for a virtualization of a LAMP installation

Roy, you really should try Kubuntu. It's similar, but the desktop piece is a bit different, and I would say FAR better. I was never a big fan of Gnome and overall I find it unfinished, buggy, and just... "unpolished". I've been running Linux as my sole desktop OS for... maybe 12 years or more. It's really come a long way. Right now my choice is Kubuntu, but I seem to change every so many years when something new comes along. I haven't had any issues viewing embedded video - I'm going to guess the flash player may not have been installed.

Bradford! Hi :wave.........Uhh what? :ha

Hi Josh, that is probably a stand alone version, and I need to set up a spare computer for it.
I believe you are correct about the flash, Firefox was bundled with it.

Do you know the System requirements offhand, I am about to reclaim a 600 Mghz box

Last edited:
Ubuntu

FWIW, I've been running the Ubuntu OS for about 6 months now, and find it refreshing to spend less time maintaining the computer and more time actually using it. Does everything I need it to do. Good riddance, Mr. Gates! :wave

-MTS

Roy,

I assume you used the Ubuntu as a dual boot situation on your computer. You make the choice as to what system to use at start up.

Does Kubuntu do the same thing? Has anyone run into problems using it with a vista machine? Lastly does it handle the older windows based programs (games and printer drivers for example) that vista chokes on?

Roy,

I assume you used the Ubuntu as a dual boot situation on your computer. You make the choice as to what system to use at start up.

Does Kubuntu do the same thing? Has anyone run into problems using it with a vista machine? Lastly does it handle the older windows based programs (games and printer drivers for example) that vista chokes on?
Yes, the version I loaded does just that. There is no separate partition on the hard drive, it is just a big file.

If I want to remove this version, I can just uninstall it in Windows. I don't think Kubuntu is like that.
Josh was right,(I am not surprised) I needed the Flash player plug in to see video, I got that working.:dance

Yes, the version I loaded does just that. There is no separate partition on the hard drive, it is just a big file.

If I want to remove this version, I can just uninstall it in Windows. I don't think Kubuntu is like that.
Josh was right,(I am not surprised) I needed the Flash player plug in to see video, I got that working.:dance

Nice job, Roy!! :clap

Roy,

I haven't used Wubi, but I was looking at their Frequently Asked Questions page and saw this:

"You can install your favorite distro from within Wubi (see the advanced settings) and then once you are in Ubuntu, you can install the other desktop environments as normal packages. Each desktop environment is available as a single package (e.g. kubuntu-desktop). You will not have to reboot to change the desktop, simply log-off and choose the desktop environment in the options at login. " So it sounds like it is either already available or you can choose to install it (KDE, which is the desktop package that put the "K" in Kubuntu".

I may have to play around with it just so I can understand it better. It sounds interesting. I'd like to get my mom to try it out on her older laptop to see if it will do what she needs. I'd rather support that than windows.

Nice job, Roy!! :clap
You were right , I was thinking it was using my existing Firefox, until I realized I had no bookmarks. When you said that, I realized "well duh."
:ha
I still haven't poked around much.

I want to try all the stuff bundled with it, for grins.

Funny thing. I just loaded Ubuntu on my home PC last weekend as well. So far I have had no problems whatsoever. It sure takes me back a lot of years to when I worked a lot with Unix servers. Even some of the old command line stuff is coming back to me. I am finding that the old PC is running much faster with Ubuntu Linux than it did with Windoze XP. Haven't had one driver issue either. All my videos worked right after the initial install, didn't have to download any codecs or anything. I am truly amazed..:thumb

Kubuntu

I downloaded Kubuntu last week and am running it on the same drive as Windows XP---a dual boot thing. I downloaded Alpine text-only email client, but cannot get it installed using Adept installer. I searched high & low in the 'net, but can't find anything like step 1---step 2---step 3......... for this installation. I've installed other programs with no problem using Adept, but can't figure out this one.

Back