• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

how to pick up a dropped bike?

I have picked up my R12R by myself. It was on a tile surface that was smooth but there was no loose sand or dirt to contend with. As I recall it was about at the limit of what I could do. If had weighed any more, I think it would have been beyond my ability. I used the "back to the bike, push with legs" technique. For what it is worth, I am 73, around 60 kilos (135 pounds), and maybe 1.75 m (5' 10"). I have no upper body strength but maybe some leg strength from years of running and walking. The second time it went down, there were a couple of other riders with me, and we had it up immediately.

There's another one of these products that's hit the market fairly recently. Called "The Dirt Napper" it's lighter, more compact, seems to be structured more to the street rider, and less expensive than the earlier ones that I linked to. They've brought the weight and bulk down quite a bit from the earlier, heavier duty ones.

I'm thinking about grabbing one. $175 inc. shipping.

There's a discussion about it on advrider.com . According to the recent posts, they ran out of stock and are ordering more materials to go back into production. BTW, I have no connection.

There's another one of these products that's hit the market fairly recently. Called "The Dirt Napper" it's lighter, more compact, seems to be structured more to the street rider, and less expensive than the earlier ones that I linked to. They've brought the weight and bulk down quite a bit from the earlier, heavier duty ones.

I'm thinking about grabbing one. $175 inc. shipping.

There's a discussion about it on advrider.com . According to the recent posts, they ran out of stock and are ordering more materials to go back into production. BTW, I have no connection.

Good find! This is very tempting for me as there is no possible way I can upright my '16 RT by my lonesome. I do wonder what you could latch on to and that strap isn't exactly inspiring--I think it looks quite bit flimsier than the ones from the other brands from what I could see, but the lightweight package looks favorable. It seems like the bottom of the stand would benefit from some small barbs on it to dig into asphalt--seems like they market it more towards, well, dirt application hence the name. I mean to find contact information for it so I can ask a question or two.

Good find! This is very tempting for me as there is no possible way I can upright my '16 RT by my lonesome. I do wonder what you could latch on to and that strap isn't exactly inspiring--I think it looks quite bit flimsier than the ones from the other brands from what I could see, but the lightweight package looks favorable. It seems like the bottom of the stand would benefit from some small barbs on it to dig into asphalt--seems like they market it more towards, well, dirt application hence the name. I mean to find contact information for it so I can ask a question or two.

I think that the straps on the other brands of these devices are really overkill. A question was brought up in the discussion on that other forum about the strength of the strap. (I'm not sure that it's OK to link directly to another forum or I would, but it's easy to find the discussion). The strap on this device "is 1” x 0.42” thick and rated at 1462# break strength." Even if you were going to lift the bike off the ground, that's a healthy safety margin of nearly double what a fully loaded 1600 would weigh. And since you're not lifting the full weight of the bike, it's going to rotate around the fulcrum of both tires on the ground, you're probably not going to apply more than 300-400 pounds.

In that discussion there are some photos where the company owner used the device as a jack to lift the back of his bike (with the front wheel and the kickstand on the ground) to R & R his rear wheel. I think that's more weight than you're going to apply in lifting a fallen bike.

They recommend using a frame part or a footpeg as the attachment point for the strap.

I realize that I may be sounding like a salesman, but I have no connection ...

Sometimes you cannot do it alone (despite all those videos of lightweight women lifting big bikes in ideal conditions--that you may not have.) I built a jack similar to the one in this website <https://www.eastbound.org/english-menu/motowinch-info-1/> and carry it with me. However, after fabricating it, I think it would be easier to just buy one, if I had to do it again. There is one other that sells these sorts of things. I cannot remember URL for the other one, but you could search on YouTube. Ironically, since I built the device I have been able to lift my bike by myself, but now I know that I have the jack, which is reassuring.

Agreed. Sometimes, it's not just that a heavy bike fell over, but where it actually ended up (surrounding obstacles/room to work) that often dictates whether or not the "back to the bike - push with the legs" method is even possible. No shame in seeking extra help, and avoiding a strained/torn lumbar issue.

FYI, no one is ever 'lifting' the entire weight of their bike. It's not leaving the ground! A certain amount of the mass just has to be re-directed, but you're not lifting the entire machine.

When my Gold Wing needed to be righted, I was not 'lifting' 904 lbs. Even Arnold couldn't do that. You're just pushing much less weight than that to a near-upright position. That's why, as a Motor Officer, I was often pressed into service for PR to demonstrate righting the department's H-D RoadKing, picking out the smallest healthy gal in the crowd for the demo. Technique (and room to work) - not bulging muscles. :dunno

Last edited:
I'm 5'5 155 lb. 72 yrs.
I dropped my 09' 1200GS taking it off center stand, not paying attention! It happened in daughter's garage.
I used the butt to the seat method, grabbing engine guards and pass. foot rest brackets(I think that is where
I grabbed on.) It went up so easy I almost overdid it! Of course I had great incentive since I missed my daughter's Audi Q7 BY mere ins.!!:hungover Hope she does'nt read this.
Gus:)

from Planet Dirt

Hi all:
I used to ride a Kawasaki KLR 650, whenever I fell It wasn't easy to get it back up...... but possible; then I got my R 1200 GSA and I have never been able to get it back up when I fall. I hurt my back in one of those falls and after thinking for a while in how to fix the problem, the result was to get AAA. If there is no help available because the location you are on........you call......... and in 1 hour or so, you are back on the road.
Try.........it works

Dan

My 640 is not too heavy unless it’s loaded for travel. As I found out again last trip it’s not hard at all doing the butt to seat method even loaded. Just need to find decent hand holds on the rear end. That being said when it’s laying do wnhill off-road it can be a totally different story.

I'm 65, 5'6" (and shrinking) and too short for my weight. I can get my GSA upright after a tipover on level ground, at least I could last year. I haven't had the opportunity to try this year. Watch, I'll drop it tomorrow :(

I've discovered that if it's loaded, it's best to unload the tent, the chair, the clothes... before trying. Why lift an additional 50+ lb? I needed help when it went over on the right side though, on a cambered right turn (I'd stopped for oncoming traffic before making a left turn) - either my right leg was too short or I put my left leg down too hard and pushed the damn thing over, I forget which. Broke my clutch lever at the handy breakway point too.

I'm 65, 5'6" (and shrinking) and too short for my weight. I can get my GSA upright after a tipover on level ground, at least I could last year. I haven't had the opportunity to try this year. Watch, I'll drop it tomorrow :(

I've discovered that if it's loaded, it's best to unload the tent, the chair, the clothes... before trying. Why lift an additional 50+ lb? I needed help when it went over on the right side though, on a cambered right turn (I'd stopped for oncoming traffic before making a left turn) - either my right leg was too short or I put my left leg down too hard and pushed the damn thing over, I forget which. Broke my clutch lever at the handy breakway point too.

I have experienced a few occasions where an unexpected and inexplicable void in the earth’s crust suddenly appears just where my foot needs to go to support the bike. It seems that the shorter one’s legs are the more often the voids form.

I have experienced a few occasions where an unexpected and inexplicable void in the earth’s crust suddenly appears just where my foot needs to go to support the bike. It seems that the shorter one’s legs are the more often the voids form.

Actually, you are a victim of gravity pockets. But that aside, the best way to pick up a dropped bike is to scream help, and use three bulky types to help pick it up. DAMHIK 99% of the time there are others around. Don't be too vain to use them!

I think there is something in human nature that causes people to react to a dropped motorcycle as if rapidly picking it up will mean it never happened. Doing so can lead to injury to the bike and the rider.

Actually, you are a victim of gravity pockets. But that aside, the best way to pick up a dropped bike is to scream help, and use three bulky types to help pick it up. DAMHIK 99% of the time there are others around. Don't be too vain to use them!

Haven't dropped a bike for awhile now, and the only time I was unable to pickup a bike was when my K's engine came to rest on the crest of gravel road.

However my first step in getting a bike up is look or wait for others to come by and offer help. To make it easier I have removed luggage.

I think there is something in human nature that causes people to react to a dropped motorcycle as if rapidly picking it up will mean it never happened.

LOL. How true!

Once I dropped a bike in the garage. The first thing I did was close the overhead door before the neighbours could see my goof. Then I picked up the bike. Next step as to open the door. No witnesses so it never happened. LOL

Once I dropped a bike in the garage. The first thing I did was close the overhead door before the neighbours could see my goof. Then I picked up the bike. Next step as to open the door. No witnesses so it never happened. LOL

Boy I tried to do that when I dropped my F800GT in the garage--only problem was I absolutely could not lift the sucker, so I went into the house to quickly hit youtube to view the video of the little lady lifting up the HD by walking it up w/ her butt/legs. That didn't work for me at 6'4" tall and the bike essentially quite flat against the concrete I could not get any up on it whatsoever, so i began PULLING UP w/ my arms w/ butt against seat trying desperately to get it to budge, it wouldn't, I lifted harder then heard and felt the report: Pop! And I went down writhing in low back pain! Fortunately I had my cell phone as I could hardly move now and called the big young buck next door who promptly came over and lifted it up like nuttin'! Very stupid as I hurt my back which survived an entire career of risk of injury by adhering always to good body mechanics--until that moment, and it remains screwed up ever since!

Boy I tried to do that when I dropped my F800GT in the garage--only problem was I absolutely could not lift the sucker.

I imagine that with nothing protruding from your F800 to slightly raise it off the ground, the walking backwards technique is very difficult if not pretty much impossible. I've discovered even a small person nearby is enough help to assist one in lifting a bike with much less effort.

At a bike show a few years ago, a Honda club had a new Goldwing laying on the floor for folks to try put into the upright position. At 5'6" and 150 pounds I was able to get it up with the handlebar, grab bar and the walking backwards technique but I did have bit of a sore back afterwards. I believe my sore back was caused by the bike being on a carpet which was on a slippery concrete floor. Besides lifting the GW, I had the carpet constantly slipping from underneath my feet.

It has been quite awhile since I've had to lift a fallen bike so I better stop writing before I jinx myself. :laugh

:laugh I certainly can relate to THAT! Also, this will occur when your too dumb to put the side stand down before you get off the bike....not that this has ever happen to me.

:laugh I certainly can relate to THAT! Also, this will occur when your too dumb to put the side stand down before you get off the bike....not that this has ever happen to me.

Ya, I have heard of other riders forgetting the side stand myself. Gail, I imagine that you have one of those voids close by at all times.

I sit here recovering from hernia surgery and nodding my head.

I have had gravity reach up and grab me, have " at least once" either not verified or completely extended sidestand. The surprise on a wet and muddy concrete gas station island has caught me twice when setting foot down. Some models lift easier, some are bears and sometimes you just need some help.Our KTM 390 is like picking up a mini bike, my loaded GSA takes some thought. (Don't tell H I got to pick her 390 up after not verifying the stand was down). Setting your right foot down on a loaded GSA and encountering a lack of footing is a slow motioned nightmare you are not going to stop.

It isn't experience level as much as dumb luck.
My dumb luck ran out headed to the Rally trying to right my former bro-in-laws bike one evening at hotel. I was tired, already thinking I had an issue coming on when I was summoned from the check in desk to go help my bud. Both of us lifted with knees bent, but with the help, I was out of my usual stance and felt a burning pop:banghead
Needless to say, the Rally wasn't as fun as I had planned as I cancelled my planned western state swing afterwards and limped home. The injury was probably going to happen at some point and I was just grateful it wasn't while solo on a back road I would have been on.

Anyways, lift smart, get help if even questionable, and watch out for gravity...it's lurking for all of us.

Back