• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How To Impress The Locals...

hondarider said:
Well folks...you've opened the flood gates now...that story wasn't even in my top 20 list of ridiculous stories...I've made a complete ass of myself more times than I can count...

My best, or worst, involves a Fazzoli's in South Bend IN after a day of whitewater kayaking at East Race there.

Had to use the restroom, but the stall was locked. A quick glance down and I didn't see any feet, so thinking "Damn stupid kids, locking the stall door, that's not a very funny joke....", I slid underneath....

Suddenly all I saw was knees and a face looking down at me as the occupant said "Excuse me..????"

I got the heck out of there, and managed to be a bit more patient. My kayaking buddy, when he asked what I was laughing about, about choked when I told him what was up.

Hell of it was, I'm about like the original poster of this thread - my buddy wasn't all that shocked. Just another river trip....

Har Har ... great laughs

Hondarider, my wife likes Artichokes. I just forwarded your post. She's gonna get a kick out of it.

DarryRi post reminds me of a similar experience in Munich. Got in late to the hotel and just 15mins or so before hotel restaurant closed. The menu had something translated to English as 'House specialty ... Pickled beef'. Figured it's a special, it had to be good. All of my other meals in Germany were pretty good.

Some little pickled vinegary meat chunks w/ veggies & pickles in a cold slab of transparent gelatin. Ewwww! I was so hungry and tired that I enjoyed the hausbrau and bread. Nibbled at whatever meat I could extract from the gelatin then gave up. I'd take Marmite or Vegimite over toast or crackers any day.

I thought I'd dip into the local culture when traveling though south Georgia a few years back. Stopped for gas and a soda pop at a stop and rob. Two big country boys eye ballin' me from behind the counter. I saw a row of plastic sandwich bags with what appeared to be some home brew, slippery black beans in them.

When asked, Bubba replied "Them is boiled peanuts, try sum". I took a large, confident handful and tossed em in. :sick

I chewed for awhile and then just forced them down. I pretended to have enjoyed the lot so as not to hurt anyone's feelings.

Bubba told me "Thats a first, most Yankees spit em out".

hondarider said:
I won't even travel in the South as I'm afraid of the cuisine...I know that if I ever tried crawdads I'd end up sucking on the wrong end :eat

I'm still not quite sure if that isn't some joke Southerners like to play on us Yankees. I ordered a plate of crawdads in a small restaurant in New Orleans full of Policemen (I don't know WHO was watching the streets) and I'm sure I heard a couple of snickers while I tried "sucking Heads". Yeeaacchhh!

:usa :stick :usa :stick :usa :stick :usa

Lived in the south for about 8 years. Lots of toothless type food, biscuits and gravy, creamed corn, spongy collard greens and beans, and that eternal mystery plate of grits...the stuff that causes final drives to go out I am sure...lol. Never really got into it much, but I did like some of the seafood.

I suck at a lot of things but I don't think I will suck on a crawdad...lol

My worst came when I was flying in Alaska with my brother. We had left Kotzebue which is about 150 miles north of Nome on the Bering Sea. He had lived there for several years working for the government and flying bush on the side. I was fresh out of the military and spending the summer with him before returning to the lower 48 for college. We were flying north of the Brooks Range and landed at a small Eskimo town on the coast. He wanted me to taste these wonderful doughnuts this one woman made and sold there. Of course he had set it all up before hand and I was the only one who really ate doughnuts fried in rendered seal oil. Think concentrated anchovie doughnuts and you wouldn't be far wrong... :sick

glwestcott said:
My worst came when I was flying in Alaska with my brother. We had left Kotzebue which is about 150 miles north of Nome on the Bering Sea. He had lived there for several years working for the government and flying bush on the side. I was fresh out of the military and spending the summer with him before returning to the lower 48 for college. We were flying north of the Brooks Range and landed at a small Eskimo town on the coast. He wanted me to taste these wonderful doughnuts this one woman made and sold there. Of course he had set it all up before hand and I was the only one who really ate doughnuts fried in rendered seal oil. Think concentrated anchovie doughnuts and you wouldn't be far wrong... :sick

I lived in the Artic for 10 years (off and on) and I'm impressed, amused, and possibly jealous???

You really should have gone with the whale oil version (don't ask) as this gives it a rather harsh salmon taste.

The instigators were however kind enough to put a heavy chocolate glaze on it for me. You definitely want to go heavy on the chocolate icing for these doughnuts if you go this route.

Imagine chocolate on your sushi!!!!

:rofl :rofl

hondarider said:
Well folks...you've opened the flood gates now...that story wasn't even in my top 20 list of ridiculous stories...I've made a complete ass of myself more times than I can count...usually to the enjoyment of numerous spectators...I'll have to search my autobiography for another tale of heroic stupidity.

I won't even travel in the South as I'm afraid of the cuisine...I know that if I ever tried crawdads I'd end up sucking on the wrong end :eat

There is no wrong end...........

:dance

Back