• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How come BMW hasn't done this for BMWMOA?

It has been my experience that companies make decisions based primarily on a positive cost/benefit analysis. For BMW to do something unique in terms of styling/performance/features for the MOA they will need proof of potential sales.

Does it necessarily have to be special paint? Could it be simply a sticker that denotes that the bike came with an included MOA membership..possibly offered by the MOA at a reduced rate - an introductory offer to entice rather than reward.
When bmw agreed to supply the GS for the "long way down" run made by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman, Little did they know that those two would elevate the GS to the status it holds today. Cost/benefit couldn't have been analyzed. They took a chance supplying the bikes, support throughout their trip, etc.

One of the two bikes they used sold for 85K euros, the other went back to bmw in Germany and is on display. I think the two approached KTM first, and they declined to provide bikes. Look at the mistake they made, and likely because the cost/benefit couldn't be analyzed on such a unique proposed run by two guys and camera's.

I think someone at bmw motherland could be convinced to make a small run of custom paint schemed special edition moa bike, to honor those who have spent their money with bmw instead of Honda, Kawi's etc. Maybe as a brand/moa member loyalty promotion. They wouldn't lose a dime on the special edition if the graphics were nice, and place on the right model.

It has been my experience that companies make decisions based primarily on a positive cost/benefit analysis. For BMW to do something unique in terms of styling/performance/features for the MOA they will need proof of potential sales.

Does it necessarily have to be special paint? Could it be simply a sticker that denotes that the bike came with an included MOA membership..possibly offered by the MOA at a reduced rate - an introductory offer to entice rather than reward.
A sticker? Really? A special edition model also has to generate some interest for people to buy it. Do you think the folks here or anywhere are going to get excited over a sticker?

brownie0486, I suggest you write a letter to BMW and make your case. It certainly isn’t going to happen by making your case here. I’ll be interested in hearing about the response you get.

brownie0486, I suggest you write a letter to BMW and make your case. It certainly isn’t going to happen by making your case here. I’ll be interested in hearing about the response you get.
I think the request would have to come from the board of directors of the moa to be taken seriously. Maybe a campaign by the moa, signed by hundreds or thousands of members. I'm not even sure the moa could get enough signatures gathered to allow their request to be taken seriously.

That sticker idea…perhaps MOA could just make a sticker, then make it available to members (only) and those who want can stick it on their bike. That way it will take away all the requests, signatures and which model(s) to build with a special sticker. Oh wait…MOA already makes a sticker? Never mind. 😉

A sticker? Really? A special edition model also has to generate some interest for people to buy it. Do you think the folks here or anywhere are going to get excited over a sticker?
I think it depends on what benefits are attached to the sticker - and price premium attached to the sticker. ..For $50, if that includes a years MOA membership, then I think quite a few folks will gladly the extra $$

Because if they designated it as a MOA recognition model they wouldn’t be able to put a Roundel on it. The two designations are not allowed to be shown together. 😉
This is inaccurate.

The BMW MOA is allowed to use the roundel provided it is presented in a format that BMW has approved. The approval process happened more than 10 years ago. Nothing precludes the use of the roundel and club logo together as long as its in the format we agreed to when BMW granted us permission to use their trademark and intellectual property.

At the top of this very page, you will see the approved format for using the roundel as a part of a club insignia. We can use the club name and roundel together as long as it is in the format approved by BMW. It's their intellectual property and trademark, so they are allowed, under law, to prescribe who may use it and how.

While it might be nice to have the club logo on a bike, I think I was more appreciative of the rebates they were offering to MOA members for a while. I believe, but am not sure that we still get a 10% discount on parts, but I'm sure someone here will know.

Just wanted to put some facts behind this before it heads off on a tangent based on an inaccuracy. I hope that was helpful and taken in the spirit intended.

but am not sure that we still get a 10% discount on parts, but I'm sure someone here will know.
It may have run out at end of the year.
This is copied from Member Discount section on the Home page.

Through a special arrangement with the MOA, every purchase made at a BMW Motorrad dealer based in the United States or online at shopbmwmotorcycles.com can qualify for the rebate. Purchasers must be an MOA member at the time of purchase and submit documentation to support the claim. Claims for qualifying purchases can be submitted below and will be processed within 60 days for payment to the MOA member.

In this streamlined process, no participation or agreement from the selling retailer is necessary. Claims for rebate will be managed by the MOA and members are free to support the dealer of their choice where Original BMW parts, gear and accessories are available. The rebate is currently scheduled for the remainder of 2023 but can be withdrawn at any time.

I think it depends on what benefits are attached to the sticker - and price premium attached to the sticker. ..For $50, if that includes a years MOA membership, then I think quite a few folks will gladly the extra $$
The remark was tongue-in-cheek. Hopefully the majority of readers will realize this. However, for some it will be taken literally.

Last edited:
I believe, but am not sure that we still get a 10% discount on parts, but I'm sure someone here will know.

The MOA Newsletter that was emailed to me on January 18th indicates the 10% discount program on parts continues into 2024. Here's what it said in the mid-January 2024 newsletter.

PARTS REBATE CONTINUES IN 2024
Getting a $21.37 check from the MOA for the parts rebate I submitted in December reminded me to share the good news: The 10% parts rebate will continue in 2024! Head over to your favorite BMW Motorrad dealer (in person or online) and if what you buy has a BMW part number on it - parts, gear, accessories, etc. - you can get a 10% rebate on your purchase! We sent out thousands and thousands of dollars in rebates to MOA members in 2023, so engage your FOMO here and get on board with the rebate.

This is inaccurate.

The BMW MOA is allowed to use the roundel provided it is presented in a format that BMW has approved. The approval process happened more than 10 years ago. Nothing precludes the use of the roundel and club logo together as long as its in the format we agreed to when BMW granted us permission to use their trademark and intellectual property.

At the top of this very page, you will see the approved format for using the roundel as a part of a club insignia. We can use the club name and roundel together as long as it is in the format approved by BMW. It's their intellectual property and trademark, so they are allowed, under law, to prescribe who may use it and how.

While it might be nice to have the club logo on a bike, I think I was more appreciative of the rebates they were offering to MOA members for a while. I believe, but am not sure that we still get a 10% discount on parts, but I'm sure someone here will know.

Just wanted to put some facts behind this before it heads off on a tangent based on an inaccuracy. I hope that was helpful and taken in the spirit intended.
I met a guy who was so disgusted with the response from BMW’s customer service contact that he pasted green Mr. Yuk stickers over the roundels on his bike. I’m unsure of the legality of his action, as the Yuk image is also copyrighted, but it WAS his bike to “customize”. I haven’t seen that bike for years but it was unique and a good conversation starter.

Last edited:
This is inaccurate.

My remark was tongue-in-cheek. Didn’t mean to start any tangents. Thought most would understand the concern displayed over history of BMW requirements when it comes to their logo.

Sorry. I was around when that was getting implemented and people were pretty fired up.

Im a little gun shy. :ha

Because if they designated it as a MOA recognition model they wouldn’t be able to put a Roundel on it. The two designations are not allowed to be shown together. 😉
Actually, that's not correct. All official BMW clubs have an approved logo format which includes both their club logo and the BMW roundel.

Last edited:
I beloieve there are moa clubs all over the world, certainly Europe has a moa's with lots of members. I can't find the numbers for moq Europe based clubs, but it they represent another 12% like the US, that would seem to suggest 25% or thereabouts are moa members from US and Europe.

It's interesting bmw doesn't play nice with the moa clubs across the world. Not enough clout, or is the german maker happy to ignore the people that purchase their products?
I think what you meant to say is that there are BMW motorcycle clubs all over the world - which is true. However, the BMW MOA is a US-based Umbrella club, and although we have individual members in many parts of the world, the only only local clubs which can be chartered by the BMW MOA must be in the US only.

All, I think the answer posed by the OP is that the MOA just hasn't approached BMW asking if they would produce an anniversary model. I don't know that this hasn't been done, but usually the simplest answers are most likely to be correct. The larger question is, IF there were an MOA anniversary bike - would that prompt you to buy one when you wouldn't have otherwise? :cool:

All, I think the answer posed by the OP is that the MOA just hasn't approached BMW asking if they would produce an anniversary model. I don't know that this hasn't been done, but usually the simplest answers are most likely to be correct. The larger question is, IF there were an MOA anniversary bike - would that prompt you to buy one when you wouldn't have otherwise? :cool:
Didn’t they kind of do something like that with the “Legends” series R100 bikes? They were all painted white and were hand-signed by the racers. I think they sold at a premium, too, in spite of being well broken-in “demos”.

Back