• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How come BMW hasn't done this for BMWMOA?

Because if they designated it as a MOA recognition model they wouldn’t be able to put a Roundel on it. The two designations are not allowed to be shown together. 😉

Because if they designated it as a MOA recognition model they wouldn’t be able to put a Roundel on it. The two designations are not allowed to be shown together. 😉
I wasn't aware of that, can you point me to the link that would explain this further? With over 35K members, their annual sales are roughly 200K bikes. As such we represent 17.5% of their total sales [ again, that's a rough nu,mber, not exact numbers ]. No consideration to be given to MOA members for a limited run motor honoring the MOA worldwide?

I wasn't aware of that, can you point me to the link that would explain this further? With over 35K members, their annual sales are roughly 200K bikes. As such we represent 17.5% of their total sales [ again, that's a rough nu,mber, not exact numbers ]. No consideration to be given to MOA members for a limited run motor honoring the MOA worldwide?
You only need to check out the “Club’s” ON magazine banner. Supporting evidence of same can be read over numerous threads regarding this issue. MOA and BMW are aligned in thought (by some) otherwise, they don’t really “play” with one another.

Some percentage of the MOA membership, and I believe it is a large percentage, haven’t purchased a new BMW in many years. A significant percentage of the MOA membership, also do not have maintenance performed at a dealership. The MOA does not have as much influence as you may think it does.
Yep, I bought an used RT in 2018. It had been to the dealer twice, once for a break bleed, and once for valve timing. Everything else I did myself. I sold the RT with 30,000 miles in December and doubt I will buy another BMW. Great bike, just not my style.

The bigger question, at least in my mind, is who cares if BMW makes a commemoration of our club bike? I mean, how much validation does one need to have?

Additionally, Moto Guzzi selecting their V7 slug to commemorate their club seems more like a slap in the face.

I beloieve there are moa clubs all over the world, certainly Europe has a moa's with lots of members. I can't find the numbers for moq Europe based clubs, but it they represent another 12% like the US, that would seem to suggest 25% or thereabouts are moa members from US and Europe.

It's interesting bmw doesn't play nice with the moa clubs across the world. Not enough clout, or is the german maker happy to ignore the people that purchase their products?

I beloieve there are moa clubs all over the world, certainly Europe has a moa's with lots of members. I can't find the numbers for moq Europe based clubs, but it they represent another 12% like the US, that would seem to suggest 25% or thereabouts are moa members from US and Europe.

It's interesting bmw doesn't play nice with the moa clubs across the world. Not enough clout, or is the german maker happy to ignore the people that purchase their products?
They don’t see a significant return on the potential investment. I think they are likely correct. BMW is a corporation, they make decisions based on potential profits above all else; that is their primary responsibility.

If BMW thought there was money to make, it would be a done deal, but then they have to consider making one for RA, etc.

Last edited:

BMW considers MOA members their already conquered consumer. They are by far more interested in conquest sales to non BMW riders. This is a constant battle fought by MOA leadership. There have been flickers of appeasement from time to time, but about the time a mutual benefit develops, BMW has a change in leadership at some level that matters, putting an end to prior trailblazing. Then it’s start all over again.

I think the relationship between the BMW MOA and BMW corporate is not as rocky as some may assume. The relationship has been rocky at times and quite close at times. Several of the rocky times resulted from an antagonistic "you can't tell us what to do" attitude on the part of club officers. At other times club officers worked hard to improve the relationship. There is an organization sponsored by BMW known as the International Council of BMW Clubs - consisting of BMW clubs from around the world. This organization meets once a year. The BMW MOA is a member of this council and has a number of "Friend of the Marque" members selected by this international group. BMW Motorrad USA attendance at the BMW MOA Rallies with their demo fleet reflects some of that relationship which is mutually beneficial. Discount offers also reflect the relationship. It has gotten better with a good staff than it was when some club officers took it upon themselves to show folks how powerful they were by starting a little war with BMW corporate in Germany or BMWNA in New Jersey. A lot of local blood was spilled when BMW enforced its rights to police its logo and roundel which alienated some local club members. That all said I think that right now the relationship is pretty good.

They don’t see a significant return on the potential investment. I think they are likely correct. BMW is a corporation, they make decisions based on potential profits above all else; that is their primary responsibility.
A dab of different color and a different color scheme/design and a few unique parts wouldn't cost them that much to change out as an MOA edition. Paint is paint, a few farkles from aftermarket makers added to the mix, and you just know they'd be making more profit on the unique limited model by raising the price for such an exclusive edition.

Make 300 of them, at a premium on the sale retail price and each dealer gets two in the US. Yamaha did that in a special configuration motorcycle called a 1000 GTS for two years. 93 was red, 94 was blue. Each dealer got just one. They couldn't keep them on the showroom floor. I bought the 93 red one soon as I saw it on the floor. At the time it was innovative in that it had abs brakes, and a swing arm front suspension.

When my buddies saw it, a few tried to get one but that dealer had to hunt other dealers for one to get it to the customer, they didn't get one. I think a special low numbers MOA edition would sell just fine [ depending on what model they decided to put the new edition on which would likely be their GS series.

Last edited:
BMW considers MOA members their already conquered consumer. They are by far more interested in conquest sales to non BMW riders. This is a constant battle fought by MOA leadership. There have been flickers of appeasement from time to time, but about the time a mutual benefit develops, BMW has a change in leadership at some level that matters, putting an end to prior trailblazing. Then it’s start all over again.
How do you keep consumers coming back? New models, bigger motors. There's a thread here about people who won't consider buying another new bmw anything in motors for various reasons. A former consumer isn't really a future consumer when you're QC on several models always seems to be an issue in various models.

I think you're likely right, they're German and they don't give a rats patute about anything much in the US. They don't seem to be all that concerned with QC this last few decades. It reminds me of Sig, the German firearms maker. Used to be if you bought one it was fully reliable. Then the bean counters got to thinking, they could pinch a penny here, a penny there and make more profit if there was less QC.

If that is a rule, then it’s a rule that was made by BMW, not by the MOA.
So, BMW makes the motorcycles, so BMW can decide to make a special edition with the MOA logo any time they want to.

If that is a rule, then it’s a rule that was made by BMW, not by the MOA.
So, BMW makes the motorcycles, so BMW can decide to make a special edition with the MOA logo any time they want to.
You’re saying MOA has no proprietary rights to its logo? That BMW can just use it on their product if they so desire? That might be right if the MOA decided not to protect their legal designation, as BMW does theirs.

You’re saying MOA has no proprietary rights to its logo? That BMW can just use it on their product if they so desire? That might be right if the MOA decided not to protect their legal designation, as BMW does theirs.
No. I’m saying the MOA should allow the logo to be used as it would benefit the MOA.
I think the issue would be with BMW not wanting THEIR logo next to another’s.

It has been my experience that companies make decisions based primarily on a positive cost/benefit analysis. For BMW to do something unique in terms of styling/performance/features for the MOA they will need proof of potential sales.

Does it necessarily have to be special paint? Could it be simply a sticker that denotes that the bike came with an included MOA membership..possibly offered by the MOA at a reduced rate - an introductory offer to entice rather than reward.

Last edited:
The MOA logo, such as it is, is in a format prescribed by BMW. We used to have a good logo until BMW changed the rules. You’ll note that there is no rondel displayed on any MOA printed material other than the small one on the BMW prescribed logo.

Back