• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hex Code GS-911 for R1150R

jbtex

Saw this video today, which prompted checking into the Hex Code GS-911 diagnostic tool. The gentleman used it to flush the ABS unit and I am now curious as to the benefits of the GS-911 for doing maintenance on my 2004 R1150R.

I am a good distance away from a BMW shop and intend to do as much maintenance and up-keep of the bike myself. Thus the question below:

What are your thoughts on the tool, especially if you have one and used it?

I really don't know much about the GS911 tool and what it can do, but I recall reading that functionality varies with models. I suppose that it doesn't do as much for the earlier models...probably should wait to hear from owners of the Oilhead. Here's a chart for the R1150 range of bikes from the website:

http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/function-chart#R1150RRTRS

Yup, looked at the functions, which seem to be in line with all older bikes before 2007. My wife and I are planning on getting a couple R1200RTs in a couple of years, so that tool would come in handy with them as well.

The GS911 only becomes useful with the 1150 and up. It is of little use on the 1100 series. This is because the motronic ECU on the 1150 is a whole generation newer and has a LOT more diagnostic capability and the ability to display it. The 1100 Motronic 2.1 is a very reliable device but not nearly as sophisticated as the 1150 Motronic 2.2

For 1200 and up I can't see how anyone could really work on them without the GS911 or the factory machine the dealers have. That is another generation altogether and also is wired using the Canbus system.

Thanks for weighing in. The R1150R is supported with enough functions that it's a good starting point, especially with the planned transition to the 1200/1250RT at some point.

Appreciate you input!

Back