• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help with identifying this part!

kevinsclo

Please help!

Can someone here help with identifying the part number for this component?

I have made numerous try at the local dealer and try to get this body rivet but to no avail. Many parts on the microfiche look similar but do not fit.

Bike: 2017 RT

IMG_0094.jpg
917656432f3ee43804603b4fc5f85025.jpg

Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think you’re looking for item #6 in this diagram. That should get you the correct part number (but not correct price-RealOEM doesn’t update those).

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
I looked around some and found this photo (which has a URL for the source) which looks like the item you're seeking:

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.51.58 PM.png

I understand now that "body-bound rivet" is a term which could refer to a bunch of different fittings...really more generic than particular. Oh well. I hope you can find it. Have you asked a dealer about this?

rivets

all you need are the diameter of the hole how deep it needs to go and the size head and most shops that cater to body shops etc will be able to get you one that will work. They are readily available in most large cities.

all you need are the diameter of the hole how deep it needs to go and the size head and most shops that cater to body shops etc will be able to get you one that will work. They are readily available in most large cities.

Oh yes. My car used to have 6 of those holding the horizontal air dam under the front bumper in place. Enough fell out to allow the air dam to drop down, drag on the pavement at 75 mph, and attempt to destroy itself. It is now held in place by 8 self tapping sheet metal screws. Not elegant but far superior holding power compared to the quick and cheap factory way.:banghead

Good to know. Thx!

Th problem with this kind of rivets or panel clips is that they tend to either break, snap, or distort after they are disassembled or removed, to a point where they are not reusable. Frustrating.

Oh yes. My car used to have 6 of those holding the horizontal air dam under the front bumper in place. Enough fell out to allow the air dam to drop down, drag on the pavement at 75 mph, and attempt to destroy itself. It is now held in place by 8 self tapping sheet metal screws. Not elegant but far superior holding power compared to the quick and cheap factory way.:banghead

Yes this kind of fasteners are used on Fords and Toyodas too.

These removable rivets are used in all types of vehicles. Go to Amazon and buy a kit with several sizes. The kits are very inexpensive.

agree with frustration

good day, i'm no mechanic by any means, but it seems simply dumb to put a plastic part in a tiny corner that becomes
distorted or broken instead of just adding 1 more 25 torx bolt?
if you take the side panels off, you already remove like 50 torx bolts, whats 1 more.

Back