• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hello, newbie to the "K" bikes and tire question

S

SMF

"Pics added" Hello, newbie to the "K" bikes and tire question

This is a jump on things but I'll be adding an 87 k100rs to the garage next week.

Just wanted to know of some sites to visit for parts, if any are needed.

I've been farkling my 07 F650 since November and I'm getting excited to start playing with the "K".

The bike was my uncles, 6 years ago. He purchased it new and was an avid BMW rider. He owned several BMW'a and always seemed to get the best of whatever was new and took care of all his toys. I still have the 67 Porsche 912 that was his and has been in the family since 69.

When he passed away, my mom ask if I was interested in buying it. At the time I was doing the family Dad thing (bought the Porsche), and didn't have time for riding. Now its a different story.

I haven't seem the bike but my mom said the professor she sold it to hardly rode it but took care of it, garaged & covered, serviced yearly so I'm figuring it should still be very nice.

After talking to the prof this coming weekend, I'll know more about he maintained the bike.

I'm a tire eater on the "F" and I did the same on my sportbikes, so I'll want to put fresh rubber on it. What size and what brand do people run on their bikes?

I'll be back acting like the newbie I am to the "K" board.

This post is a pure "Newbie sticking out like a sore thumb" post,

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Howdy and welcome.

You can get K OEM parts and accessories, etc. online from A&S, Bob's BMW or Max BMW.

A number of people on these boards own 100s and would have more specific info for you. Keep checking back. Enjoy the new bike!

What Porsche did you buy? :D

This is a jump on things but I'll be adding an 87 k100rs to the garage next week.

Just wanted to know of some sites to visit for parts, if any are needed.

I've been farkling my 07 F650 since November and I'm getting excited to start playing with the "K".

The bike was my uncles, 6 years ago. He purchased it new and was an avid BMW rider. He owned several BMW'a and always seemed to get the best of whatever was new and took care of all his toys. I still have the 67 Porsche 912 that was his and has been in the family since 69.

When he passed away, my mom ask if I was interested in buying it. At the time I was doing the family Dad thing (bought the Porsche), and didn't have time for riding. Now its a different story.

I haven't seem the bike but my mom said the professor she sold it to hardly rode it but took care of it, garaged & covered, serviced yearly so I'm figuring it should still be very nice.

After talking to the prof this coming weekend, I'll know more about he maintained the bike.

I'm a tire eater on the "F" and I did the same on my sportbikes, so I'll want to put fresh rubber on it. What size and what brand do people run on their bikes?

I'll be back acting like the newbie I am to the "K" board.

This post is a pure "Newbie sticking out like a sore thumb" post,

Thanks all.

I do mostly city riding with the occasional trip to NE or IA. I'm running Metzler 880's. Make sure to do the 42# front and back. You will know in turns the minute you get below 40# on the front. Not dangerous, but you'll 'know'.

A&S is by far the best place I've seen for parts. They even carry speedos for the old K's.

If you don't have it yet, get your Haynes manual. It will be handy for everything.

:clap Welcome to the 'K' family.

Tars - and other ideas

Welcome to the Dark Side! The Klassic K-bikes are rock solid and a lot of fun. They can also hold their own with much newer machinery with some updates. You already have some good links on parts, so let's talk tires. You say you're a tire eater - I assume that means you're an aggressive rider who values handling and stick over mileage. Here's my take on tires for you bike:

Metzeler 880:
Great touring tire when mileage is more important than sport handling. Very neutral and good in the rain. I have the 880's on one of my K75's and like them for touring because they last a long time, but although you can certainly ride at brisk speeds, the bias ply versions wouldn't be my first choice for sport riding.

Metzeler Lasertec:
These are the successors to the classic ME33 and ME55's. Supposedly a newer internal design with a classic tread pattern. I have not ridden these nor talked with many who have. The old ME55 was sticky but didn't last for diddly. I always thought the tread pattern on the ME33 was worse than more modern tires at following road groves.

Michelin Macadam 50:
A very good combination of handling and life. Very neutral with nice turn in. Michelin now has a newer bias ply series: the Activ and shows it as the fitment on the front of a K100RS with the Mac50 on the rear. I would like to hear from somewho's run Mac50's on both ends and then tried this combination. I've used the Mac50's on several K-bikes and liked them.

Bridgestone and Avon:

I've not heard too much about Bridgestones on Klassic K-bikes, although they have a loyal following among airhead riders. Avon has a new bias ply tire out - the Roadrider - which got a favorable writeup in Rider (IIRC), but I've not talked to anyone who's used this on a K100.

Dunlop:
Usually, Dunlop on a Klassic K-bike meant one of their *very* long mileage tires. Some liked 'em - some hated 'em. However, I discovered a few months back that Dunlop is the only company who makes and recommends a radial tire to fit a K100 or K75: the D205! From my experience on my newer bikes which came with radials, I figured these would make a big improvement in handling. So, I tried a set of the D205's on my K75S and just love them! The handling is much quicker, with a quick turn in, but they are like having rails under the bike compared to any of the other bias ply tires I've ever run on a K-bike. I have no idea how long they will last, and frankly don't care because I like the handling so much!

Bottom line IMHO: try a set of the Dunlpop D205's. Service your forks and think about going from the "standard" 7.5wt oil to BMW (or some other) 10wt. If the disk brake pads are stock or "old", then replace them with some EBC HH sintered replacements. Be sure to give them some time to seat. If the rotors are very badly worn, then consider floating units from Brakking or EBC. If this bike has a stock BMW shock, throw it away and replace with your choice of aftermarket. Personally, I think the hot value is in a YSS shock. You can have a fully adjustable and rebuildable one custom set up for your bike and riding style for under $400 from Tom Cutter at www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com, and some others.

Hope this helps a little. :thumb

Thank you for taking the time and doing some reply's.

GregFeeler - nice info, thanks! Very helpful!

What you said about the brakes and forks were already on my to do list just so I have a piece of mind. I'm switching over to a floating wave rotor on the "F" this weekend. Warpped the stock in 9000 miles. I guess I forgot this bike isn't a sportbike. Who knew? hehe

Springs on the "K", wise to upgrade to progressive springs while I'm changing the oil?

Thanks for the rear shock suggestion.

All I need now is for the guy to get home from vacation.

Thank you for taking the time and doing some reply's.

GregFeeler - nice info, thanks! Very helpful!

What you said about the brakes and forks were already on my to do list just so I have a piece of mind. I'm switching over to a floating wave rotor on the "F" this weekend. Warpped the stock in 9000 miles. I guess I forgot this bike isn't a sportbike. Who knew? hehe

Springs on the "K", wise to upgrade to progressive springs while I'm changing the oil?

Thanks for the rear shock suggestion.

All I need now is for the guy to get home from vacation.

Just for grins, I'd try the 10wt fork oil and see what you think. Be sure to carefully check the fill capacity because it varies over different K-bike models and years. See how you like the forks with that oil, and then if you think the dive is too much, or the front end too soft, try the Progressives. With them you should measure the height of the fork oil rather than going by refill capacity. For me it helps to have most of the variables sorted out before changing springs.

Keep us posted on the progress. I did the mods I mentioned to my '92 K75S over this summer and now it is a freakin' kick in the butt to ride. Totally different bike for just a few hundred dollars of updates and tires. :dance

Very cool Greg. I can't wait to twist my right hand on this thing!
I know what your saying about doing the suspension mods. Best money spent on any bike.
I re-did the suspension on my sportbike which made it hug the road like it was on rails.

Again, can't wait!:D

Tires are much more complicated than them seem...load ratings, ratios, rubber compound, etc...

I run ME 880 on the front and ME 88 Marathon on the rear...they both give me about 15-20k miles consistently...
The ME 88 at the 130.90.17 size has a higher load rating of 74 with 3 ply sidewall and 5 ply tread...making it one of the strongest tires out there...pretty puncture proof and sweet on the twisties(whether wet or dry).

There are many opinions out there but do your research as to the complexity of tires before you make your decision...
Your tires MUST meet your driving needs and not somebody's else's opinions.

edde

Well, heres a pic of the new old machine. Runs great! So smooth. New rear shock coming and I have to order tires. I'll change the oil and swap out the old fork "water" this weekend.
It appears the guy that had it only put 1900 miles on it in 6 years. Garaged kept but he could have done some minor maintenance. I rode it home, very slowly with 6# of air in the front tire. He had no tools. He was a tool!

After giving her a complete scrub down, I think it turned out rather nice for a 20 year old machine. I was cleaning the old tank bag last night and thought about my uncle. Back when he was riding, there was no interent. People called each other on a house phone, said lets meet here and they rode. Nobody was sitting at home infront of computers, they were riding. Its kind of neet to have a nice piece of history.

I'll have to get a pic of his 100,000 mile BMW Rdier award. Question, Whats with the silver fox.....Wile E. Coyote? I have his plaques and patches refering to the coyote. Someone please explain how he became a memeber.
Thanks for the advise on the previous posts. Take care all

Foggy morning today
fog4.jpg

Fog1.jpg

Fog2.jpg

fog3.jpg

Back