• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Haynes on line manual, any good?

enriquez

Hello,

In the upcoming days I'll be attempting a clutch job and probably some seals too on my 2012 R1200RT and looking to get myself a Haynes manual but noticed the also got an online versión, which is new to me. Has anybody who used the online version before find as worth as the printed one?

Regards,
Mario

I used the printed one and I'd say that might be easier because you have to skip around a lot in manual to get the job done. It's not like the manual gives you step by step to do the clutch, you have to jump around to different chapters to see how to remove and replace different sub assemblies. Easier to have a manual to refer to and mark pages off IMO.

I'd suggest getting a bunch of zip lock bags and label parts as you take them off or get an bin you can label, I prefer the bags as once sealed you can't accidentally spill these or bump it and end up with parts all over. Label any cables or hoses, etc that you remove so you know where to plug back in. Take photos of anything and everything as you take it apart to see how cables are routed and parts are installed. You will need to refer to some of these later. And videos to show routing and how assembled as a bigger picture. Likely will want a 2nd or 3rd person to take the rear subframe off and replace as you need to maneuver it around some cables and get it into place to attach and would be difficult with one person.

Plenty of video on YouTube that show some or all of this job, none will give you enough for the entire job but good to see how it all works and how people do it. Also some good videos on removing some of sub assemblies such as video from MAX BMW that shows taking off main plastic parts (once you do it a couple times the job almost gets committed to muscle memory).

It's not a technically hard job, just lots of removal and time consuming. You do get to learn a lot of bike for future repairs and knowledge. Can also be a good time to do some other maintenance tasks and cleaning while apart.IMG_1066.jpgIMG_1089.jpg

Hey guys, here’s what I do…which is kind of a hybrid concept I guess. When tackling a bigger job (with lots of page jumping), I use my home office printer to copy relevant pages out of my clymer, staple them together in order, and take that packet out to the garage. Gets the job done right, keeps the manual clean, and satisfies my OCD tendencies all at once. Best of luck in any case and ymmv.

I used the printed one and I'd say that might be easier because you have to skip around a lot in manual to get the job done. It's not like the manual gives you step by step to do the clutch, you have to jump around to different chapters to see how to remove and replace different sub assemblies. Easier to have a manual to refer to and mark pages off IMO.

I'd suggest getting a bunch of zip lock bags and label parts as you take them off or get an bin you can label, I prefer the bags as once sealed you can't accidentally spill these or bump it and end up with parts all over. Label any cables or hoses, etc that you remove so you know where to plug back in. Take photos of anything and everything as you take it apart to see how cables are routed and parts are installed. You will need to refer to some of these later. And videos to show routing and how assembled as a bigger picture. Likely will want a 2nd or 3rd person to take the rear subframe off and replace as you need to maneuver it around some cables and get it into place to attach and would be difficult with one person.

Plenty of video on YouTube that show some or all of this job, none will give you enough for the entire job but good to see how it all works and how people do it. Also some good videos on removing some of sub assemblies such as video from MAX BMW that shows taking off main plastic parts (once you do it a couple times the job almost gets committed to muscle memory).

It's not a technically hard job, just lots of removal and time consuming. You do get to learn a lot of bike for future repairs and knowledge. Can also be a good time to do some other maintenance tasks and cleaning while apart.View attachment 91181View attachment 91182

Thank you very much for the encouraging words.. I'll follow your advice.

Regards,
Mario

Hey guys, here’s what I do…which is kind of a hybrid concept I guess. When tackling a bigger job (with lots of page jumping), I use my home office printer to copy relevant pages out of my clymer, staple them together in order, and take that packet out to the garage. Gets the job done right, keeps the manual clean, and satisfies my OCD tendencies all at once. Best of luck in any case and ymmv.

Hey Torque, that would be my aproach too if I end up getting the online version.

Regards,
Mario

Right, with an online version, it would even easier to print out just what you need. I could see that being especially good for regular maintenance as well.

Mario - I am working my way through the clutch repair process too. I found the BMW R1200 Shop manual online here:

https://tinyurl.com/47p42ujz

It is a BIG file, and it only runs in Windows, so be warned. My old Windows 10 laptop is slower than molasses in March, but once loaded, it displays the manual's pages reasonably well.

Between the BMW manual and my Clymers/Haynes manuals, I have plodded along. Sometimes the BMW manual has better instructions, sometimes the other manuals have a better picture of a particular connector.

I noticed that the BMW manual lists the process very differently than the other manuals, but you don't have to go jumping from one section to another, as others have mentioned.

Odd that the Forum policy doesn't explicitly mention posts that invite copyright violation (especially BMW copyright).

Of course given BMW's flagrant disregard for Right to Repair I can certainly understand.

Mario - I am working my way through the clutch repair process too. I found the BMW R1200 Shop manual online here:

https://tinyurl.com/47p42ujz

It is a BIG file, and it only runs in Windows, so be warned. My old Windows 10 laptop is slower than molasses in March, but once loaded, it displays the manual's pages reasonably well.

Between the BMW manual and my Clymers/Haynes manuals, I have plodded along. Sometimes the BMW manual has better instructions, sometimes the other manuals have a better picture of a particular connector.

I noticed that the BMW manual lists the process very differently than the other manuals, but you don't have to go jumping from one section to another, as others have mentioned.

Hey Ranbush, thank you very much!

I ended up getting the online version of Haynes but sometime it leaves craving more more detail...:scratch

Are you doing a RT too?

I removed the fairing, fuel tank and in the process (90%) of harness removal. I expect to split the bike this weekend...:uhoh

Are you doing a RT too?

Regards,
Mario

... posts that invite copyright violation (especially BMW copyright). Of course given BMW's flagrant disregard for Right to Repair I can certainly understand.

The site where I found the manual has a boilerplate copyright disclaimer blurb, but maybe BMW doesn't care too much about policing manuals for an eighteen-year-old bike.

8D

And I agree with you about BMW not allowing us mere mortals to buy a BMW Shop Manual. That's another reason why I've never bought a new BMW motorcycle.

Hey Ranbush, thank you very much!
Are you doing a RT too?

Hi Mario - you're welcome. My bike is an '05 R1200 ST, mechanically similar to the RT but with uh, "distinctive" styling. I think some BMW designer or executive got fired because of the ST styling, but I don't mind its looks.

BMW only made the ST for 3-4 years, so it may become an extremely rare and valuable collectible motorcycle (in my grandson's lifetime).

I personally prefer a book version as it is much easier to flip around in different sections. By the way, I have both, Haynes and Clymer manual and find the Clymer version to be more in depth and detailed, it has about twice the pages. As a big plus, the Clymer manual lists all torque values in SAE as well.

Last edited:
Back