• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Haws anyone else done this?

Nice town that Portland Maine, one of my favorites to visit. Wouldnt mind being on Boothby Square sippin' a microbrew about now.

All right I have ignored this long enough.I have 2.
1.In the rain on my Bonneville in 1971.Started off from a red and turned left .And kept on turning and turning and...I spun the rear wheel and couldn't stop.Lost the bars and stood up,bike going down underneath me.

2.On my current R100RT.Just backing it out of the repair shop,fully loaded after a weeks trip,top heavy etc.Going backwards down hill,clutch in.Got away on me and started toward a parked truck.Grabbed for some brake(of course it was in neutral) but Could not stretch to the brake lever.Managed to drop it before it crashed into the truck.A lot of people saw that one.They were kind enough not to laugh.
Coulda happened to anyone right?

There was a 3rd close call: coming up to a gas stop on my R75/5,hornet flew into my full face helmet as I was coasting up at about 5 mph,in gear.Had to undo strap,remove sunglasses,remove helmet and sit on the bike,no hands,as it rolled toward the gas pumps,being bitten or stung or whatever the little sob was doing over and over inside my helmet.Whew!!Didnt drop it but I don't know why!!!

Once at a gas station, some where in the west, I pulled up to get gas and as I took a moment to stretch the kick stand folded and knocked me over. I fell onto and somewhat over the concrete platform between the pumps. My hips were elevated on the platform about 4 inches above my shoulders. I tried to roll over to push myself up but my legs were tangled in the pump hoses, so I did a sorta wiggle worm type action last seen on The Gong Show. When I finally struggled to an upright position it was no surprize that everyone was watching. I further embarassed myself by trying to pick up a dime the attendant had crazy-glued to the pavement. To make sure the humiliation did not end to soon , after a long litany by a "friend", the club gave me the crasher award.

Here's the one my friend did. About a month after I bought my R1150R I put Tom on my 650 Hawk and we toured southern Misery........uh Missouri. This arrangement worked very well for me because the R1150R was not yet fully set up for my 4' 11" frame, I'd had an inch and a qtr carved out of the seat ( which enabled both tip-toes to touch the ground) but the 'Works' shocks I'd ordered did not arrive before the trip. The Beemer was fully loaded with all the camp gear and when I'd get tired we'd switch bikes, this also helped us both with body fatigue..................... After a long day of riding we arrived in St. Louis dumped our gear and headed to dog town to eat and drink. At a stop sign Tom did one of those glitchy stops. He happened to be on the brand new BMW and fought with all his might to keep the thing from falling over. He had a death grip on the front brake but with the throttle open. I was right next to him and yelled at him to "let it go". He did NOT let go and I watched in amazement as a burn-out ensued and the rear tire spun 45 degrees to the right before the bars were wrenched from his grip. At this point the bike leaped forward, STRAIGHT AT ME! I was just close enough to get bumped before Tom and Beemer keeled over. I went down hard. ........................There we were, sprawled out all over the road. The Beemer had a scratch on the saddle bag but the Hawk and I were a mess, Busted clutch and knee and elbow with mangled shifter and minor whiplash, but still I was laughing my head off. He'd taken us both down with a single "oops"!

I'm not gonna talk about the time Tina dropped her RS in a parking lot in a windstorm in Missoula and knocked us both down.

Well, not much anyway...

:brow

Seca 750 go boom...

I've suffered similar pain and embarassment, but fortunately in the confine of my own garage. This was a lesson in getting off a bike with shoes that had no sole whatsoever after a quick trip in the rain. But, it was one of those slow arduous tip overs in the opposite direction, more reminiscent of a tug-o-war of fate than anything else...I tried my best, but could not save my ride from the impact of the garage wall resulting in a broken right mirror...

I swore up a blue cloud, but got over it when my mother told me to shut up...

Never argue with your mother...

After reading this thread a week or two ago and saying it had never quite happened to me, a couple of days ago I got home in a hurry, wasn't careful enough to make sure the sidestand was down and locked, and it folded up just as I was getting off the bike. Down she went and so did I. The bike landed on the left jug and left hard case, no damage. I fell away from the bike, but my left leg came down _hard_ on something (still now sure what), and I ended up with a huge (fist-sized) hematoma just below the knee, right where the the knee slider would have been had I been wearing one. Doc says it'll probably take 3 weeks to heal, and to stay off the bike until all the swelling is gone, which will be a couple of weeks. Sucks.

So now I can add myself to the list of people who have done it. :cry

Way back when I was riding my first new bike, an '81 R65, I would take any excuse to go riding. Hmm, not much different from today. Anyway, that winter a friend mentioned that he had rented a place on one of the little bitty roads off of Topanga Canyon, in LA. He described it and its surroundings a bit, but never actually mentioned the street it was on.

The canyon used to be a nice place to go riding (though there's too much traffic through there now), so I decided to see if I could find his new place. It gave me an excuse to investigate all the roads that went up the canyon walls at what seemed to be impossible angles.

As afternoon turned to evening, I worked my way north to south, methodically trying each street. Most could be discounted pretty quickly. On one of these steep roads there was a Y intersection, so I went up to the right. Part way up, I could see that this branch didn't fit and, unthinkingly, turned left across the narrow road to effect a 3 point turn. Well, the road to the left was now about a foot further away from me than on the right, and naturally, the bike began to lean that way. I jumped off to the left and though I couldn't hold the bike, at least I let it down pretty softly.

Because the road was so steep, the bike ended up over center, and the Bings started leaking pretty badly onto the asphalt. I got the motor stopped and turned off the petcock. Then I found I couldn't get any footing because the gas made the asphalt so slick. Every time I'd get the bike up to horizontal, my feet would slip out.

Eventually I managed to inch the bike backwards across the road a bit to a dry spot where I could push it back to vertical by walking uphill against the side of the bike. Now all I had to do was get it turned downhill. Except that the slick spot was directly in front of where I wanted to put the front tire! Finally I managed to saw the bike backward and forward enough, and push it backwards uphill a bit, to clear it.

By this point I was sweating and shaking, and didn't feel very stable when I managed to get back onto the seat. I drove home a bit wobbly at first, and called my friend to find out just what street he had moved to...

JULIE said:
Once at a gas station...... I further embarassed myself by trying to pick up a dime the attendant had crazy-glued to the pavement....

I'm in tears here.. :cry

WHY :brow After all that did you even think about picking up a dime?:rofl :rofl :rofl

KBasa said:
Heya Monk! How's things on your side of the pond?

In my little pond (the Eastern Med area) it's bloody wet, windy and cold, but I'm bored so I'm going to do an "ATGATT" and head for the hills tomorrow!:wow

LICK MY BRICK said:
I never did the I forgot the kickstand thing,but I forget the front disc lock thing twice:eek

Jayson Vilett:p

:D

One time I parked in downtown Boston and put my Kryptonite Ulock on my front wheel. I forgot to take it out and got about one wheel revolution forward before the wheel locked and I started to fall over.

Now, I get my feet on the pegs very quickly and in that short time had put both feet up. As I feel over to the right, I managed to pin my right leg against a car. I was stuck! My left foot wouldn't reach the ground and my right leg was pinned between the trunk of the car and a 550 pound Honda CB750F!

I flagged down a guy walking down the street and he helped pry me off the car.

Talk about embarrassed!

Bawdy Monk said:
I'm in tears here.. :cry

WHY :brow After all that did you even think about picking up a dime?:rofl :rofl :rofl
I must have assumed that after delivering such an entertaining performance that it was my tip. You know what they say about "ass-u-me":dunno

LICK MY BRICK said:
I never did the I forgot the kickstand thing,but I forget the front disc lock thing twice:eek

Jayson Vilett:p
I did that once and then a friend gave me a cloth ribbon to attach to the disc lock and then loop around the handle bar. I never forgot again!.........................good work kbasa:D Thanks for shareing your highly embarassing story, I feel a little better about myself now.

Batbike

I guess I am glad for you that I bolted them back on before you took it home!! Glad you are having fun with it.

JB

The Veg said:
But the most embarrasing one was recently. I was on a backroads ride with three clubmates a few weeks ago. I was out on the R100R I'd just bought and was beaming with pride, especially as the K and Oilhead riders I was with seemed impressed with the bike. We had just had a great lunch in a charming small town in east TX and we were saddling up and readying to roll. I was the first to get started and pulled out of from the curb and turned left. The engine wasn't very warm and I must not have given it enough gas. The engine quit mid-turn and of course the resulting hard-stop didn't help much. I dropped rapidly to the left but hadn't fully retracted my foot yet so I got a good fight in. Still went down on the cobblestones but a) gently and 2) landed on the crash bar at a hauntingly familiar not-too-far-down angle. My clubmates were quite concerned but also pretty impressed when I easily hauled it back up- these guys never rode a Beemer under 600 lbs! ;) No damage save a pinky-nail-size patch of exposed brass on the carsh bar.

Steering lock

i was at my buddies house, bike on centerstand, parked, sank in the soft pavement, fell over and broke the right mirror, pissed me off until on the way home I stopped at home depot, locked the steering lock on my R100RT, came out and rode away without unlocking the steering lock, jumped off the bike pretty quick, broke the other mirror. at that point i went home and just drank beer on the couch.

I have done it on my GS after an 850 mile day. Station was full of bikers. A harley guy saw it happening and rushed over to help me save it.

Back