• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Has anyone seen this issue before?

pgeorgiades

The other day I ran my 2017 R1200RT on about a 60 mile trip. I take that trip pretty often, and I usually get between 45 and 46 mpg. This time I got over 48 mpg. There could be lots of reasons for that, but when I got home I saw the headers had blued significantly, beyond what they have been like for years, especially the right side cylinder.

These two events made me think something has gone wrong, and the bike is suddenly running much more lean than it was. Software issue? Problem with an injector? Or maybe something controlling an exhaust baffle?

I have made arrangements to get the bike to the nearest fully-equipped BMW dealership (2 hours away). But I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and might be something that can be fixed locally?

Any ideas?

The other day I ran my 2017 R1200RT on about a 60 mile trip. I take that trip pretty often, and I usually get between 45 and 46 mpg. This time I got over 48 mpg. There could be lots of reasons for that, but when I got home I saw the headers had blued significantly, beyond what they have been like for years, especially the right side cylinder.

These two events made me think something has gone wrong, and the bike is suddenly running much more lean than it was. Software issue? Problem with an injector? Or maybe something controlling an exhaust baffle?

I have made arrangements to get the bike to the nearest fully-equipped BMW dealership (2 hours away). But I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and might be something that can be fixed locally?

Any ideas?

I suspect a partially clogged fuel injector, causing a lean condition it at least one cylinder. Maybe even both injectors/cylinders.

I dont think you have anything to worry about. Blueing of exhaust pipes is very hard to read with any accuracy, and I'd sooner trust the instrumentation on the modern motorcycle than anything else. You dont say if the bike ran bad, clogged injectors would have resulted in low power, misfire, or low mileage not higher. I would expect if the bike was running lean enough to do damage, the ems would have thrown a code and put the bike in limp mode. As for software, I wouldn't think so its in permenant memory except for adaptive injector values which change based on feedback from the fuel management system which would be o2 sensors, atmosphric pressure and air temprature. I'm not a professional mechanic and I slept in my own bed last night not Holiday Inn, so my advice is worth exactly what you've paid for it.

Obviously your worried about this. You have an appointment, please report back to us with any findings from the dealer.

Back