• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harro Elefantenboy Tankbag?

boxerkuh

Greetings, I have just found a used Harro Elefantenboy Tankbag/Tankrucksack. It is a 23 liter model. How can you tell what model number it is??

I know they also used to make a 35 liter model and a 40 liter model. I know they still offer several different raincovers for them, but they are based on model numbers. I wish they still made them.

Any help will be appreciated. I have already contacted Harro in Germany, but I am not sure if they can help me. The first email answer was not very promissing. :doh

I still have my Harro and still recall using it with my RS in 1984 on trip to MOA National in Missoula.

I was always the last one away from gas stops, holding everybody up, as reattaching the securing loop around the steering head was a slow process. As a consequence, I'm now a confirmed BMW Multivario user.

I agree with Chris. I also used one for many years (until the bottom finally fell apart). It's a laborious task to get the front strap re-attached every time you fill up with gas.

But if you really want some info re. The Harro bags: Contact Blue Moon Cycle in the Atlanta area. They have one model of the Harro tankbag for sale on their Vintage section.

Here's their website: http://www.bluemooncycle.com/

And phone number: (770) 447-6945

My Harro has a zippered false bottom such that you cut a hole in this false bottom to accept the gas filler cap. By unzippering the false bottom, the whole bag tips up to expose the gas cap for filling. The false bottom remains strapped to the bike.
And FYI, I didn't figure this out myself but had an oldtimer 'splain it to me when I asked about the zippered false bottom (which had not been cut yet).
I don't use the harro anymore since I have a Heinrich tank. But what a great piece of equipment it is.

Holy crap! I always wondered what was up with the false bottom.:doh From PITA to simple with the stoke of a #11 blade. Thank you, ebeeby.

I have a Harro instruction sheet. No capacities are given, but it lists the model numbers as Elefantenboy 401/402/404.

I bought mine new (around 1990 ?) and it included alternate mounting straps for the rear (look like K-bike pieces). For the front mount, you could use the standard loop around the steering head, or the supplied elastic strap with hook for the tank . Much easier for models with fairing.

Nothing about tank bags on Harro's current website.

Thank you for all the replies. Blue Moon no longer sells the Harro Elefantenboy tankbags, as they are no longer available. They stopped making them about 3 years ago. So, the only one to find are used one. I bought a used one and it too has the false bottom. Mine has the factory cutout, some were shipped were the owners had to cut them out. Therefore, once it is mounted it is tight and I can flip it the same way a Multivaro bag can be flipped.
Harro informed me that they sewn a leather tag into all their original tankbags, on the front, outside where the straps come off to go around the steering head column. Since I can't look at it, I will have to be patient.
Since I bought it from Germany I am having it shipped to my brother. I will ask him to look and maybe then order the cover. But it looks like the first size is most likely the one that I have, the 401, 402 model. I just figured that all the 23 liter, the 35 liter and 40 liter models use specific raincovers and somebody has a 23 liter bag out there and knows what number it is.... I do know that the 35 liter and 40 liter tankbags have a sidepocket on the main bag compartment, one that the 23 liter bags don't have. It would also be interesting to know what other sizes they make.

I've been looking for something "period correct" too - no joy so far... :scratch

I've even considered buying something like this and modding it - at 13 X 16 X 5 it should fit fairly well, and with a little sheepskin and a few velcro straps... Hmmm.

The search goes on!

Attachments

• filson business.jpg
    filson business.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 340
I have an old Harro in my garage I brought back from Germany in 1982. It is the second or third one I've owned as I was stationed in FRG for seven years and went through a bunch of airheads. All of the Harros I've owned have had a leather piece on the rear with a hole in it to accomodate the round/oval frame piece. The front had the tradional PITA strap tht went around steering head. The number on it is 414...not 100% sure about the 14, but is is 41_ something....last digit is kinda weak. Don't remember what the size is....big is all I know.

Greetings, I have just found a used Harro Elefantenboy Tankbag/Tankrucksack. It is a 23 liter model. How can you tell what model number it is??

I found an old Airheads list post indicating that the 23L model was #406.

I've been pretty happy with my multi-vario, but this thread got me curious about the Harro bags.

As info, the German ebay site - http://www.ebay.de has four of them for sale now and the completed auctions show that there are regularly bags for sale. If you are familiar with the US ebay, you will have no problem navigating the German site. I'm pretty confident most sellers would respond to an english question. Shipping will probably add about $50 to the purchase price, but maybe you can find a deal. Beyond the purchase idea, all of the current auctions have pictures and list some descriptive info like size and model number which might be useful if you are doing research on the bags.

Here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Harro-Elefantenb...ptZMotorrad_Kraftradteile?hash=item439ced343e

Regards,

Barron

Well...

I went to the Harro web site and they do still make and sell the rain covers but not being a German speaker, I am unable to order what I need.

If any one of you folks is in need of a rain cover and intends to order a new one, how about helping me out by ordering two and then forwarding one to me?

If I'm not mistaken, shipping charges are more than the cost of the part!!

Better lucky than good

Sometimes, it is better to be lucky than good. I did buy a used tankbag on the German ebay. Speaking German, does help. I also had it shipped to my brother in Germany, so I could go with the cheaper shipping charges. The quotes that I got for shipping it to the US were mind boggling, upward of $50.00. The used tankbags are also expensive, but I got a good deal on mine. In addition, when my brother opened up the box, he found a raincover with it. Something the guy I bought if from did not state in the listing. So, I got lucky. But the 23 liter tankbags are either 406 or a 416, and I have since learned that they also used to make a 30 liter, a 35 liter and a 40 liter. Rumor has it that they will begin making new ones later this year.

If anybody needs some help with some translation, let me know. English will always be my second language, regardless how long I live here (which now has been longer here than in Germany) :wave

I've been looking for something "period correct" too - no joy so far... :scratch

I've even considered buying something like this and modding it - at 13 X 16 X 5 it should fit fairly well, and with a little sheepskin and a few velcro straps... Hmmm.

The search goes on!

"Period correct" ?.....how'bout an Eclipse tankbag?...I have used one for years....very handy, easy on /off.

This may be of no help
But saw mine today while looking for ..........
One photo for each hemisphere.

Attachments

• IMG_5943.jpg
    IMG_5943.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5943.jpg
    IMG_5943.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 46
Back