• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harley-Davidson's aging biker problem

Why Ride?

From Mika
Back to the question embeded in my opening sentace. As we talk with people in general, young old or in between, how do you explain why anyone would buy a bike in the first place? Commuting is but part of the conversation I would have.

I just spent a few moments viewing a group of 1 or 2-minute videos from Triumph covering each of their entire product line. http://forums.bmwmoa.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=625071

The sport bike video style and content would clearly appeal to the young MTV crowd; much speed, wild running, and plenty of sensuality if not erotica. There were no tech details.

The Rocket III opened with a disclaimer stating the demonstration was with "professional stunt rider", "closed course", etc., and related a totally hooligan imagery.

With variations on each of the themes - not one even hinted at economy, utility, or functionality (perhaps excepting the new Tiger 800).

I was a little surprised to encounter these promotions, this doesn't seem to be the norm for other manufacturers, but I feel that they represent the true sense of most people's impressions of motorcycling. At least they serve to further my argument as to baseline motivations for riding.

Personally, my only interest is economy...

Taking that line of thought to its logical extreme why would anyone buy a bike in the first place? If a car is mandatory for life why not maximize the car and avoid the expense of the bike all together? The point is for some of us it makes economic sense or enough economic sense to include our motorcycles as part of our daily commuting plan. It does not work for everyone. I do my own repairs on both and am in a single driver household. I gear up in ATGATT and for some that is a deal breaker. Based on various places I have lived in my riding life I could have lived without either a bike or a cage quiet nicely.

Back to the question embeded in my opening sentace. As we talk with people in general, young old or in between, how do you explain why anyone would buy a bike in the first place? Commuting is but part of the conversation I would have.

We buy a bike because we love to ride. Commuting is just an excuse to ride but we "justify" it to others as a money saving thing. When compared to many popular leisure time activities, riding a motorcycle is cheap. Boating, snow skiing, golf, tennis, big game hunting, serious fishing and many other activities cost more and people don't try to justify them as money saving.

People never buy a new car because they need one. They buy it because they want it (same as a motorcycle). They might need another car but not a new or near new one.

Exactly we love to ride because its fun.

I commute and most of my conversations with non riders result as questions about commuting are asked. In all the discussions of cost / benefit I get dragged into I keep telling people the fun factor of riding to commute is tips the scale no matter what the other numbers say.

In all the posing companies advertisers and we do about what to do with a bike (tour, commute, race etc) and how to do it (ATGATT rants, my way or not at all) what is lost is the fact that riding is fun.

From the age of 16 to 20, my transportation consisted of just a motorcycle, and that did save money. Adulthood and marriage, however, has pretty much required a four-wheeled cage.

Frugality certainly wasn't the reason that I spent $20,000 on my current motorcycle. Even so, I usually ride the bike into work ÔÇö partially with the notion of saving a few bucks on gasoline. As long as I've got both the bike and an SUV in the garage, I might as well double my fuel efficiency on the way into work by taking the bike (plus making the trip a little more enjoyable).

If I lived a little closer to work, I'd ride my bicycle into work more often ÔÇö and that would be a money saver. On second thought, muscle-powered bikes are no longer cheap either.

I ride 30 miles a day to work... i figured it out that riding every single day to work on the bike would just about save enough to cover the insurance...

Oh well...

Pete in OKC

When gas hit over $5, I bought a new Yamaha TW200 for $3999. I insured it for $75/year, registration, in CA, about $70 or so. Compared to the F250 I was driving to work 9 miles each way, I saved a ton of money. I put $5 a week in the tank & that's it. Oh yeah, it was fun too! I haven't sold the F250, I still pay insurance, etc, but the less I drive it, the more money in my pocket. Riding a $20K motorcycle isn't going to save money over a $20K car like a Prius, but a cheap bike will!:bikes

when gas hit over $5, i bought a new yamaha tw200 for $3999. I insured it for $75/year, registration, in ca, about $70 or so. Compared to the f250 i was driving to work 9 miles each way, i saved a ton of money. I put $5 a week in the tank & that's it. Oh yeah, it was fun too! I haven't sold the f250, i still pay insurance, etc, but the less i drive it, the more money in my pocket. Riding a $20k motorcycle isn't going to save money over a $20k car like a prius, but a cheap bike will!:bikes

+1

Schwinn Stingray with cards in the spokes then a 3HP mini bike that I broke the front end off, On Any Sunday, Suzuki TS250, CZ 250 mx, Yamaha YZ 250, you'll get the point.
I ride because something in my brain fired some adrenaline when I was young and I haven't been able to contain it! Someone posted earlier how hard it is to get kids in the dirt so they can learn how to enjoy some horsepower on two wheels and get the bug for riding. Up here I see 4 wheelers as the main choice for getting off road and general fun so the skill level dwindles and anybody can sit on their butt and see some pretty country, cool, I have no problem with that until they decide that they can handle a MC now and off they go with horsepower, flip flops and their girlfriend on the back with her butt hanging out and no helmet :hungover
I think this plays right into the hands of the HD so they can display a lifestyle of just sit on it and be riding and looking cool. Calm down now, I know that is a generalization but i know a lot of people that took this path and when the temp drops or it is not sunny and warm out the Hog sits in the garage.
:lurk

no, but motorcycle parts and service sales are saving the industry. people are fixing up their current ride because they can't afford to get a new one. :nod

Not all. The guy that sometimes shares a space with me traded in his Suzuki cruiser and bought a new Honda chopper rather than put a new tire on the Zuk. He told one of the maintenance guys the tire was $500. I checked, <$250 from SW Moto. Mornings are getting cool enough I haven't seen him lately.

Very interesting discussion, with lots of suggestions about what's happening and what we might do about it.

For what it's worth, the demographics continue the overall trend of fewer young riders getting in, and those who are already "in" are growing older as we continue to ride.

In 1990 the mean age of motorcyclists was 26.9.

In 1999 the mean age was 38.1

In 2003 the mean age was 40.2

For 2010 the mean age is predicted to be 47.2

at the current rate of aging, by 2015 the mean age will be 52.2. That would be just about 10 years increase in the mean age every ten years.

I suggest the important question--considering the above demographics--should be how you or I plan to close out our motorcycling careers.

pmdave (age 73 and ticking)

a couple things..

Good thoughts Dave.

My exit is around a point where I can no longer pickup and unloaded bike.

When, I get there, I will look at a lighter unit.

I can still pick up my R75/7.

Four weeks ago, all loaded from a complete tip over in a Best Western drive through. That darn self retracting kickstand and my short legs....one heave ho and it was up. And I was PO'd at my sloppyness. I feel lucky my legs and back were up to the task. (65 and counting)

Second, if we as a country have a severe , really severe financial collapse and gas goes to 6 bucks a gallon... we might have some demographics like Indonesia.
I saw a photo of a guy with his whole family on a small cc bike.
A senario that I hope we can avoid..

Jim Dahl
Ketchikan, AK:brow

I'm going to be 72 in January and I can still pick up my RT when I get clumsy and drop it. Once a year or so ago it rolled forward off the side stand in my shop and I had to call for help from a neighbor to pick it up. The floor in my shop is as slick as a sheet of glass and the bike just kept sliding away from me when I tried to lift it. Neighbor came over and one handed it back up. He's going on eighty years old but is six foot six and three hundred pounds. I'm five eight and one fifty.

I think it's a good idea to recognize what's likely to happen, and have a plan for what to do when you get there.

A couple of years ago I leaned my loaded R1150GS over on some soft gravel, and the sidestand sunk down so far I just couldn't wrestle the bike back to vertical. The following day on a remote desert road I crashed, and couldn't pick it up, even unloaded.

In the good old days I would have been able, but with a sprained shoulder and cracked rib, I couldn't. So, after that trip, I decided the GS was just too big and heavy for me to handle anymore, and I swapped it for a Can Am Spyder.

Even if you're thinking of yourself as "young" or "middle age", and chortling at those "old geezers" you see wheezing and having trouble swinging a leg over their scoots, the realitiy is that we all get our turn to be old geezers. And then, what are you planning to do?

if your plan is to just keep on riding until you can't do so safely, it might be smart to decide what the indicators are, and have some sort of alternatives in mind. Maybe you'll still be riding at age 87. Maybe not.

pmdave

Having to pick up a bike after an "awchit" was what decided me to sell my beloved Yamaha Venture Royale and buy the 04Rt. That Yamaha was the best road bike I've ever ridden including a Vincent Black Shadow and numerous Japanese bikes. The BMW 2004 RT was a joy to ride and work on but the 2006 RT is a quantum leap better.

I wish that BMW would devise an interlocking device where the side stand would not retract (fold up) unless the clutch was pulled in. It seems most of the laydowns are the result of a bike rolling forward and collapsing the side stand. I know, "make it foolproof and a better fool comes along".

Having to pick up a bike after an "awchit" was what decided me to sell my beloved Yamaha Venture Royale and buy the 04Rt. That Yamaha was the best road bike I've ever ridden including a Vincent Black Shadow and numerous Japanese bikes. The BMW 2004 RT was a joy to ride and work on but the 2006 RT is a quantum leap better.

I wish that BMW would devise an interlocking device where the side stand would not retract (fold up) unless the clutch was pulled in. It seems most of the laydowns are the result of a bike rolling forward and collapsing the side stand. I know, "make it foolproof and a better fool comes along".

I agree. That's where BMW could steal a play from the H-D playbook. On Harley's, there are 'prongs' that capture the sideside once it's lowered - makes it impossible to roll it off.

When I was exiting my police Harley on a regular basis 25 to 30 times a day (I patrolled on it for 8 hour shifts), I never feared it rolling (or vibrating) off the side stand - a unique system - liked it very much! :thumb

Last edited:
And then there is my 86 R80 with the self retracting side stand. It can't be lowered when I am sitting in the saddle, and a strong breeze will cause it to collapse. Fortunately, the center stand is very easy to use.

And then there is my 86 R80 with the self retracting side stand. It can't be lowered when I am sitting in the saddle, and a strong breeze will cause it to collapse. Fortunately, the center stand is very easy to use.

I love the self-retacting side stand on my 78, its the damn interlock on the non-self-retracting one on my '10 Honda I can't stand! :lol

guess it all about what you're used to, too.

RM

Harley-Davidson to build bikes in India

November 04, 2010|By Sara Sidner, CNN

The iconic American motorcycle brand, Harley-Davidson, has announced plans to build an assembly plant in India.
Harley-Davidson, the iconic American motorcycle brand with a cult-like following, has announced it has chosen to build its second assembly plant ever outside the United States in India.
The "complete knock down" plant or CKD is expected to be up and running in the northern Indian state of Haryana in first half of 2011. Parts made in America will be put together for the Indian market in Haryana.
"What we are doing is made in USA, assembled in India, which will have a positive job effect back home which is why we are driving this investment as quickly as we are," Anoop Prakash managing director for Harley Davidson India told CNN.

Back