• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hard on the hips

releek

I am new to the road bikes, I have been riding Husqvarna and KTM dirt bikes for the last few years, Japanese before that, about 45 years of riding total. I went out and found a used F650GS, very nice bike but the seat seems to be wide and hurts my hips when I put my feet down. Is there any thing that can be done about this? I have looked in to new seats but they are all wide, will I get used to this?

I found the stock seat hard. It was ok for about 30-60 minutes. After that my ass hurt.
Hip pain when putting your feet down. Can't help you with that, don't stop.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!
There are a few threads running now around the forum on seat discomfort. One of the ways to make it better is an Airhawk inflatable seat cushion. They are a bit pricy butt are worth it IMO.
The "tag" cloud is fully searchable for Airhawk.
BTW, the Husky I found to be like the TW200, basically a 2X6 with color. If you liked it, you may get used to the new bike.
OM

Seats

I have a 2013 G650GS and went to the solo seat option (look on the parts fisch to see if there is one for your model year) and then had someone put jell pads in. I have not had good results with Airhawk so they may be a matter of taste. They have a trial period where the product can be returned.

You may want to talk to these people to see if they have any options for you to try:

http://www.seatconcepts.com/

Welcome to the forum.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
71,449 Life

I am new to the road bikes, I have been riding Husqvarna and KTM dirt bikes for the last few years, Japanese before that, about 45 years of riding total. I went out and found a used F650GS, very nice bike but the seat seems to be wide and hurts my hips when I put my feet down. Is there any thing that can be done about this? I have looked in to new seats but they are all wide, will I get used to this?

Are you certain the bike has an OEM seat on it now? If it has an aftermarket seat on it, then that may account for the uncomfortable width. Aftermarket seats are often made much wider and more like tractor seats for riding comfort. A used OEM seat should not be too hard to find.

Thanks all for the help. I friend of mine has a Corbin seat that he said I can try for the week end so we will see if that works.

My first post here!

I just wanted to comment that I am now back on the road after 15 years off of bikes and you know what hurts the most? My hips!

I have both the stock and a Sargent for my new-to-me R1150GS. I chalked the discomfort up to not using my hips in a riding fashion for so long, noting that I had never experienced this type of pain before. Of course, I am also now 50 something! I'd give it some time and try some stretching and exercise.

My first post here!

I just wanted to comment that I am now back on the road after 15 years off of bikes and you know what hurts the most? My hips!

I have both the stock and a Sargent for my new-to-me R1150GS. I chalked the discomfort up to not using my hips in a riding fashion for so long, noting that I had never experienced this type of pain before. Of course, I am also now 50 something! I'd give it some time and try some stretching and exercise.

It is so strange that you say that, I was told by a so called friend that it hurt because I am so old and that I might want to try Yoga, btw he said he would do Yoga with me.
I road the KTM 44 miles in the woods yesterday with no pain.

Back