• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harbor Freight Wheel balance adapter

Lslem

Does anyone know what BMW models the Harbor Freight SKU 98490 wheel balancer adapter is supposed to work with?
There appears to be no way it will work on my 2010 R1200RT, at least on the rear wheel. Have not had the front wheel off yet, so I don't know about that.

Does anyone know what BMW models the Harbor Freight SKU 98490 wheel balancer adapter is supposed to work with?
There appears to be no way it will work on my 2010 R1200RT, at least on the rear wheel. Have not had the front wheel off yet, so I don't know about that.

why dont you goto Marc Parnes and get the proper balancer setup with the adapter for the rear....you will not regret it.....

http://www.marcparnes.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm

wyman

I don't know which wheels it will work with, this link mentions some it does not work with, including some RTs. I do know none of the HF balancer adapters have been available for years, even though the basic 98488 balancer box and instructions still advertise it. IF you have the basic balancer and IF the supplied axle is straight (many newer ones are not), the regular cones should work on your front wheel, no adapter needed. I bought the Marc Parnes unit after a fruitless argument with Harbor Freight.

I have one and it has fit many different bikes. it has many holes spaced differently. if it won't work, you can always return it.

RT Wheel Balancer

I use a No-Mar balancer. It comes with two rods one with steel wedges for smaller bearing sizes (front wheels) and the other is threaded and uses large plastic wedges for bolts on wheels like the rear wheels of he RT. Good quality and reasonably priced.

Harbor Freight wheel balance adapter

Thanks for the input. I think I will look seriously at the Parnes unit. If I had read all the pages on the Camhead forum, I probably would have seen more info. Most HF stuff is junk anyway. Altho, I did get the wheel balancer stand, that's one of the things you can doll up all you want; it's still a shaft spinning on two sets of bearings. Just a matter of centering the wheel/tire ass'y ON it.

I have the HF unit. It is accurate to about 1/2 OZ front, 3/4 oz in the back. Close enough for me. If I was racing maybe not, but unless a front takes over 3/4 oz or a rear takes over 1 oz I do not bother.

way better than nothing.

Rod

Back