• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GTL vs. r1200 rt

stokesrl

Im planning pick up a k1600 gtl. I currently have a 2007 rt. Can somebody give me some feedback on the differences? I assume it has better acceleration. Does the 1600 handle worse? Feel heavier? Smoother ride?
Any feedback from someone that's ridden both bikes would be appreciated.

From the reports I have read: The K1600 is another order of magnitude better than the old 1200. Coming from that bike, you will feel it's weight at duck-walk speeds. I find that once its moving, even at slow speeds, it is nimble. FAR btter than my old Harley Ultra-Classic was.
As far as power and nimbleness, its all there. You will FEEL the incredibly broad torque band. While it is a large motorcycle, and it probably wont 'flick' like your old RT, the K1600's handling inspires confidence in a way that you end up riding it just as fast if not faster with that huge power band behind you.

As fart as smoothness, check these out:
https://youtu.be/3uHECEXhCgc and https://youtu.be/jKtgRK7t4ak

Many people change out the seat (mine is stock-low), and windscreen (I like my aeroflow).

Im planning pick up a k1600 gtl. I currently have a 2007 rt. Can somebody give me some feedback on the differences? I assume it has better acceleration. Does the 1600 handle worse? Feel heavier? Smoother ride?
Any feedback from someone that's ridden both bikes would be appreciated.

I rode 45,000 loving miles on my 08 RT then purchased a K1600GTL and put 11,000 on it to date.
The weight takes a little getting used to, but after a few hundred miles, I felt very comfortable with it. As far as wind management goes, the RT is superior, especially for pillion. I suggest aftermarket windscreen such as calsci or Aeroflow. The K1600 is more comfortable 2-up because of the longer wheelbase. Both are great bikes. I sure like the acceleration of the big 6 when in the passing lane.

GTL v Rt

Hi, I had a 2012 RT, and I loved it. My wife however, never did like riding on it, and in the end I purchased a 2012 GTL, initially it was mostly for her. Again, I loved the RT. For me I thought it was perfect. Great gas mileage, great wind protection (had a LT before the RT, and the RT is very close to the LT as far as wind goes) it was nimble, and great fun to ride, and comfortable as well. I have now ridden the GTL for about 3000 miles, and I have to say it is far and away a much better bike than the RT, except for wind protection. The engine is smooth, powerful--barely have to shift on curves---and responsive. I was in Missouri and Arkansas earlier this year riding curves, and you can almost think the bike through the turns. It also get pretty good gas mileage. I have been getting in the mid 40's, unless I am out on the Interstate riding at 80--which btw is so very easy to do. The power and torque sets the bike apart from any other I have ridden. The RT just doesn't compare--although I can't compare it to the RTW. The biggest thing is this, my wife likes it too!!! I really don't think you will be sorry if you go to a GTL. I am not.

RT to GTL

One thing I omitted. If you go with a GTL, I would strongly suggest the Aeroflow winglets. Well worth the money.

One thing I omitted. If you go with a GTL, I would strongly suggest the Aeroflow winglets. Well worth the money.
+1 on the Aerowings AND the Miniwings.

This will be long, but there is a point or two at the end:

Since '99 I have gone R11RT-->K12LT-->K12LT-->K12LT-->K12LT--R12RT ('09)-->K16GTL-->K16GTL-->R12RT ('12) and R1150RT-P (still have)-->K16GTL-->R12RTW (a long and twisted (and expensive!) road).

*Loved* the K12LTs (apparently, eh?). Went to the '09 R12RT while waiting for the rumored LT replacement. Hopped onto one of the first K16GTL's delivered in the country (very low number on the pre-order list; picked up the same day/place as the #1 on the list).

*Loved* the K16 engine -- a stunning piece of engineering! Massive power, potentially explosive acceleration in Dynamic mode. I had issues with the first K16 and moved to the second. Similar experience, loved the engine, but could never get it to roll in a straight line without overloading the right saddlebag or performing surgery on the Duolever front end. Gave up in frustration and moved to the '12 R12RT.

Decided to give the K16GTL one last shot, and at the same time get my wife to move from her R1150GS to the '12 RT to get better weather protection. I loved the K16 engine so much that I sort of "tricked" myself into believing it drove in a straight enough line to be "livable." After I couldn't fool myself any longer, I had to admit that this one pulled to the left, and like the previous bikes felt "nervous" at highway speeds (many attributed this to the very high and block-shaped trunk, which I believe to be correct, but even without the trunk and with stiffer sidewall tires it was never what I'd call a "stable" ride -- a sort of uneasy feeling like you can never divert your attention from the bike for a split second because you couldn't "trust" it; put another way, a lack of that "on rails" stability that makes a touring mount a pleasure to ride.

Before the K16 pilots descend to defend their choice, let me be the first to say that from what I've heard, there are *thousands* of happy K16 riders out there who say they have never felt what I'd described. I am truly happy for them -- without the handling issues, my experience was the K16 was darn near perfect (wind management is better on the cam- and wet-head RT's, but even that issue can be 80-90% addressed by Aeroflow). A more stable chassis and I'd probably still be on a K16.

The point of this tome is to suggest you evaluate the *entire* K16 package, and don't do as I did -- fall head-over-heels for the stunning engine and forget to fully check out *all* of the bike. If it trips your trigger, go for it! If you have a doubt, give the R12RTW a ride.

My perspective on the RTW: better wind protection, *much* better engine heat management (the K16's cats are right next to the feet and between those and the air from the radiator on the left side in particular the feet can get painfully hot in slow traffic), considerably lighter, and the engine is much closer to the K16 in feel than to the previous generation hex/camheads (I still ride my wife's '12 camhead RT once in a while, so I can make a direct comparison). Once the RTW picked up all of the K16's electronics (except the adaptive headlight -- a real advance in road lighting technology I wish was offered on the RTW), I did not have much reason to continue to endure the non-motor-related issues of my last K16.

Obviously, YMMV -- a *lot.* My primary objective is to ensure you go in with your eyes wide open. If you do, whichever you pick you will be a seriously happy camper! :thumb

Last edited:
I just want to add something here about the "left" pull issue. I agree that, my bike at least, does pull to the left. I think after a few hundred miles, I just automatically compensated for it, and it really hasn't been an issue. But I do agree that mine does have that slight left pull.

I guess I was lucky. No left pull on either of our K1600s, no actual problems on either actually. My wife is kicking herself for trading in her K1600 and is actually looking to trade her HD back in and get another K1600...again... I almost wish she was a 'shoe' woman.

I just want to add something here about the "left" pull issue. I agree that, my bike at least, does pull to the left. I think after a few hundred miles, I just automatically compensated for it, and it really hasn't been an issue. But I do agree that mine does have that slight left pull.

So Ive had the 1600 for a couple months. The motor is nice but the fly by wire is a little strange. Not a big deal. The RT had a kinda clunk transmission, the 1600 is a lot worse. I havent noticed any side to side pull. The gas mileage is surprisingly similar. The 1600 electronics are nice but the bluetooth XM and FM are poor.

The 1600 rider and passenger compartments are a lot roomier and you sit a lot further from the windshild. The seating position is a lot lower as well.

The 1600's weight is noticable but not terrible.

I think the 1600 actually handless a lot better. It tracks straighter and isnt as twitchey. You have to shift the 1600 a lot less than the rt.

The RT does run a lot cooler.

Ultimately, I decided to keep the 1600 and sell the RT. THey are both awsome bikes.

44k on my K1600 GTL and only about 400-500 on my brothers R1200RTW so bear that in mind. ;)

I love both bikes and don't think you'd go wrong with either.

That being said at 70mph and above the R1200RTW has noticeably more vibration through the bars than a K1600GTL. Now it's not something that would stop me from buying one, but I suspect on a long day it would annoy me a bit after riding the big K. If I had never ridden my bike then I'd be happier than all get out. ;)

You can certainly get "Drunk" on the 6 cylinder engine...

That having been said, WHEN will BMW get it together about heat control? This ain't Germany and today it's 86F outside. In October and November as well as March and April the heat from the cats might be a nice thing but in July when it's 95F they can turn a difficult ride into an unbearable one. I have owned more boxers than K's and I have NEVER had a heat problem with a boxer. FWIW

Best,

Will

I have many thousands of miles on K16's, many of those prior to buying my '14 RT. There honestly isn't one thing about the K16GT/L that I prefer over the RT.
The RT is:
Cheaper to buy
Cheaper to roll down the road
Cheaper/easier to maintain
A far superior sport bike for technical riding
- lighter, more agile, more engaged ergos than GTL
Every bit as good, if not better of a long mile touring bike
- lighter, less fatigue, better air management, cooler
Better city bike for daily life
- lighter, more agile, cooler

The K's are splendid bikes, The RT (even the RS, maybe even XR) fit my life better - and I live on my bikes. We all have slightly different takes on what is ideal, that's why we offer so many bikes :)

I have many thousands of miles on K16's, many of those prior to buying my '14 RT. There honestly isn't one thing about the K16GT/L that I prefer over the RT.
The RT is:
Cheaper to buy

The K's are splendid bikes, The RT (even the RS, maybe even XR) fit my life better - and I live on my bikes. We all have slightly different takes on what is ideal, that's why we offer so many bikes :)

I agree with you on a few of your points, but after test-riding a RT a few times I have tp say my GTL is still my go-to sport/touring. The smooth engine combines with the massive low-rpm torque make the long distances melt away. This is especially so when we are 3-up and pulling our trailer through the Rockies or across the plains.
I have zero problems with either heat or wind management no matter the temperature.
We have a S1000XR as well, and yes it is definitely a better sport bike, but long-miles (500+/day) on it are not enjoyable, the GTL is still a very good performer.
As a daily bike it does everything I need and moves along effortlessly in our tourist jammed traffic during my daily commutes to both work and night-school.
The RT just seemed shaky by comparison, with a lack of lower end torque. Then again, the XR also seems to lag a little at the lowest RPS as well, only coming into its power way up in the 5000rpm+ range (and even more 7000+).

That's my take, and it seems BMW nailed it for me on the K1600.
I do love our S1000XR too though.

The RT is:
Cheaper to buy

Agree with all the points above. Never thought I'd have a Six, but the wife's comfort overrules all, so now I've got a GTLE. For one up long distance, the RT is still the one to go to.

Back