• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1100R Scrambler Project

Calling it!

Well I think I'm going to call it done for now. I put the rally pro guards on yesterday and gave 'er a good wash and then ran it for a couple hours last night. It's running better than it ever has, idles smooth, power is super linear and predictable which it wasn't before at low revs, and no more pinging when you roll on throttle in higher gears. I have a couple maintenance items I need to deal with that will be next - my oil sight glass has started seeping and I noticed my rear swingarm boot has a tear in it. I've also heard it's important to lube the gearbox input splines at around 50,000, and I just rolled over 46k - might wait until the fall to tackle that one though.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and helpful suggestions. It was a fun project and I'm pleased with how it turned out.

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3640.JPG

IMG_3641.JPG

IMG_3643.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3639.JPG
    IMG_3639.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3642.JPG
    IMG_3642.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 52
Three things....

1. I once got caught in San Francisco traffic on a hot day on my 1100S. I think I hit every stoplight between the Golden Gate and the resumption of Hwy 101 PLUS being from out of town, I forgot that lane-splitting is an OK thing to do in California. :doh
Anyway, seeing as I was in traffic for 30-45 minutes, I was concerned about engine/oil temps with very little airflow through the oil cooler. Long story short, my fears were ill-founded as the bike never faltered then or for about 50,000km after. I put it down to running synthetic oil.

2. Mount the oil cooler on the back luggage plate/tail light mount. Yes, it'll take a few yards of oil line and it won't be very crashworthy - but it sure would look cool! The Racecrafters Superbike Team mounted the oil cooler for their Z-1 on the back fender..... https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6f/39/c8/6f39c8ee9c2826ce7213b9e8792586f0.jpg

3. Its been a joy following this thread. My compliments to your talents, sir. :thumb

Outstanding Scrambler build!

I wish I could tone down my purist (lack of creativity) streak and do some innovative stuff with mine and other distractions I have on the treadmill of projects running through my shop. I hope I can get back to the Scrambled 850R soon and maybe get a little more creative based on what you have presented here.

Thread theft:
BC1100S, I do have a current thread on the Barn Bike in the BMWMOA Vintage forum with a few more pictures of the progress. If not for the family and a good friend of the original owner what I initially purchased as a pile of questionable spare parts has transformed into a restoration that will hopefully bring smiles to the family and his friend.

Back to the thread:
Nice build and so crisp and clean, I hope that the oil cooler works as you have done it because it really gives the bike a clean look.

Attachments

• IMG_0655 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_0655 (1280x960).jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 46
Back