• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gs911

If I wanted to buy my own GS911, for my 2015 R1200RT, are there any particulars of which I should be aware? Does it have to be a certain model?

Any input would be appreciated.

If I wanted to buy my own GS911, for my 2015 R1200RT, are there any particulars of which I should be aware? Does it have to be a certain model?

Any input would be appreciated.

You can buy them on Amazon. The latest model is the "wifi" model. The Enthusiast version allows you to use it with up to 10 VINs (that is, up to 10 different motos). One seller has some that are "returned" Enthusiast models with all 10 VIN slots still available. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01MXDLAGN/

If you only want to use it with a laptop you cab buy the $300 model with the adapter cable.

Lee: Do you know whether it is still a Windows-only proposition or have they finally come 'round to including OSX (Apple) users for the adaptor cable version? (I know you can go to the Cloud using a wifi 911 which is agnostic.)

I bought the "enthusiast" wifi model from Ted two years ago for my 16 R1200GSA. I've used it on two other BMWs as well. I've downloaded data onto my iPhone as well as a Samsung tablet with little to no issues.

As others have said, Ted Porter, is the scource in the US for 911 tools
Be weary of EBay sales as there are a bunch of cheap Chinese copies out there
Yes the RED one is the required model for newer bikes, I was able to sell my YELLOW model

Lee: Do you know whether it is still a Windows-only proposition or have they finally come 'round to including OSX (Apple) users for the adaptor cable version? (I know you can go to the Cloud using a wifi 911 which is agnostic.)

For full functions you need a Windows computer.
The Mobile functions work with Windows, Android and i0S.

Just got off the phone with Ted Porter's Beemer shop and ordered my GS-911.

Before making my purchase, I confirmed that it IS indeed Mac compatible. In fact, I've already downloaded the software to my laptop from the Mothership's website. So here goes nothing.

Thanks for all the input, guys!

You may save a few bucks on Amazon

Have you bothered to look on Amazon? Ted Porter sells GS911's on Amazon. I send my Ohlins to Ted Porter for rebuilding -- they do a great job, although the price is not cheap. I gladly pay them for their expertise. However, for a commodity, one with excellent service online directly from the manufacturer, I choose to save $60. YMMV

-Cap aka cheap person

However, for a commodity, one with excellent service online directly from the manufacturer, I choose to save $60. YMMV

-Cap aka cheap person

I have, for the most part, been getting all my BMW stuff from Sierra BMW. Always a friendly and helpful voice on the other end of the phone, and a quick resolution of there's a problem.

After my last call to Ted Porter, I now have two places at my disposal.

It is well worth a little extra money to have someone knowledgable and trustworthy on the other end of the phone to deal with an issue. Returning or exchanging anything through Amazon can be a nightmare and if I can avoid a overseas call center, I consider it money well spent. They infuriate me and in the end have put me off numerous products.

But you remind me of that old joke:

What's the cheapest thing on a BMW?

The rider.

Which is ultimately me as well. All of this thread is based on my doing all of my own maintenance and what could be cheaper than that?

Like I said before you cannot be Teds service there is where i got mine from he is the man. As far as Amazon the last time I had a problem I had no problem finding a phone number a talking to them.

Follow the link I posted. There are many good moto shops, including Cycle Sector who sold me my GS911 for $340 and shipped it for free.

Congratulations. As soon as you have a question about your GS911 give those fellows a call. Their last facebook post was in 2017 and Yelp reports that the business has closed. Looks like the business model where you sell at or less than cost didn't work so well for them. I prefer businesses I can count on. But gee whiz, you saved the cost of 10 good Lattes.

Last edited:
Follow the link I posted. There are many good moto shops, including Cycle Sector who sold me my GS911 for $340 and shipped it for free.

Ted does offer a discount at times on the GS911, the one above is reduced because it was a returned item and resold. I got mind from Ted and purchase the 10 pin cable from a different source once they came out. The GS911 is a wonderful tool that gets enhancements that are useful.

Jay

I bought my GS911 from Twisted Throttle, simply because of the bonus points I had and it was too good to pass up.
However I bought two adjustable steering stabilizers for my brother's and my GS from Ted. After talking to him about the ins and outs of this product and the suspension systems they service and sell as well, I have no doubt that when the time comes to replace the OEM stuff I will certainly give Ted Porter a call.

Sometimes being penny wise and pound foolish isn't all that wise when you shop for the cheapest 'deal' as when the seller disappears you're left holding the bag...YMMV

Back