• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS Upgrades

Lost_Boy

Need information on aftermarket upgrades for '95 R100GS PD in order of priority. Bike has one-up Corbin seat with Happy Trails panniers. Bike has 25,000 miles. Anything that would extend the life or make the bike safer of more comfortable, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lost_Boy

Many people would tell you that it is more about

the riders ability than the bikes. With that being said;

here is what i upgraded on my GSPD; and why.

SS Brake line for the front brake. HUGE difference in stopping ability.

Omega charging system so that i could run additional lights, and electric gear. Nice addition, much less electrical issues, but spendy.

Flashing brake light. Nice upgrade. been rear-ended once, don't want it to happen again.

Other than that, i kept the bike maintained and well-exercised.

sdc

SDC has offered some good suggestions.

The rear light on the PD is very weak. I added the LED replacement for the stock bulb as well as hyper lights. I do not want the other driver to get away with a "I didn't see him" excuse at the inquest.

The charging system is also puny. I have not upgraded mine, but on many a cold ride I wish I had. I added a Kisan Charge Guard that allows me to monitor the charging system as I ride. This allows me to manage what electrical capacity as I have without running the battery down.

Driving lights of some sort can also be a lifesaver. Given the weak charging system, LED is a good choice. I went with LED markers on the front. They do not add any illumination at nite, but they do enhance visibility during the day. I got mine on eBay for $12 and they use very little power.

I made my own screen to cover the oil cooler. There are any number of screen like materials available at Lowe's and the like.

Other add ons I've added and recommend are:
- Parabellum screen
- Bark Buster hand protection
- Front and rear fender extenders that I made out of an old truck mud flap. I extended the front fender by 8 inches; I recommend 9.5 inches
- A top box made out of a Pelican Case attached to the rear rack with pipe hangers
- Jesse bags

original starter sucked on mine - changed to a Bosch
from motorrad elektrik:
-upgraded Diode board
-voltage regulator
-Coil, wires and caps ( made a big difference for starting, both cyl come alive at the same time, before right-side would not fire up right away )
twisted throttle LED driving lights 10 watts each. nice and compact and work well.
35mm height x 25mm offset bar risers
moose wrap around hand guards with shields
Metlzer Karoo2 tires 50/50
Jesse bags
Added single Red LEDs to corners of blinkers for visibility
Added LED tail/Brake light bar between the blink mounts
Corbin Seat (dual)
Solo with extend rack in case I ever go around the world
I purchased a spare transmission to do the Cir-clip in it then swap trannies to do the original of the bike - have not got around to it yet, hope this month.

And........

upgrade the shock and front suspension.

There are several products out there that will do this. I went with Progressive springs up front and Works shock in the rear.

Tom

upgrade the shock and front suspension.

There are several products out there that will do this. I went with Progressive springs up front and Works shock in the rear.

Tom

yep, forgot that.... Olhins in the rear and I am going to take the front into a local suspension company to tune to my weight and riding style.

good call...

One other thing I added: a Euro right control switch that includes off-tail-head+tail switch.

With this switch I can have just the LED driving lamp on and the headlight marker lamp, this save 35watts during daylight hours, and the LED have fantastic visibility - Much more than the H4 Head light.

I think I paid around 80Euro for the switch assembly at Ulis in Frankfurt, Germany.

http://www.ulismotorradladen.de

Which LED driving lamp did you get?

Barron

Denali Through twisted throttle... the yellow lettering on the black housing match the bike too!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5242/665/

in the following thread there are pictures comparing H4 low and high with and without the LEDs on, mounted on my KTM.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=42339&highlight=LED

http://odsc.on.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15886&p=105611&hilit=led#p105611

and here are the lamps mounted on the GS

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=43424&highlight=led

Last edited:
Back