• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS Rear Drive Pivot Bearings

grahamm

Hello All

1992 R100GS

While servicing the splines I found my rear pivot bearings (#4 in diag) a bit "notchy" I remember seeing alternatives out there that might be more "robust"... can I ask for your experience on this matter before I make a decision on what to replace these with? As I recall I remember seeing an add stating their tapered bushings are better compared to the stock roller bearings.

B0000771.png

Some controversy

There is a bit of controversy over this issue, centered on whether the brass bushings score and move on the pins that hold them in the swingarm housing.

I don't know if this has been hashed out here, but it has on ADVrider.

It appears to boil down to how well you follow the instructions for installing them. Using the correct thread locking product and torquing/adjusting procedures is critical.

I ran them in my 1150GS for about 20k miles and they did well. However, my dealer, who installed them at my request, said that I should go back to stock when I put on a new final drive (the drive was out on for preventative reasons). The bushings had the most minor of scoring on the outer surface... It caused me no concern, but the dealer was wary.

So that's what I did, since the first set lasted 73k miles.

This is not to say the brass bushings are not good, or that the stock bearings are better, just that I tend to listen to my dealer and have had success with the stockers.

Ian

Back