• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS mirror relacement

astir

Adventuress
I have a 2008 R1200GS and due to ummmm :blush circumstances, I need to replace the glass in one of my mirrors. Has anybody found a source for just the glass? Think I can find it at the auto store? Any advise tips or tricks?

I found tons of threads on replacing mirrors with different models, but honestly I just want to fix this one without paying for a whole new assembly.

Thank you for your help oh wise ones of the forum! :bow

Last edited:
Thanks henzilla! I will keep an eye on that site.

This glass measure 4 1/4 inches on the nose. Or 10.8 ish centimeters. Does that strike anyone as funny?

I think I will head down to the glass shop tomorrow and see what they might be able to do for me. Not sure if they have a 'safer' mirror for automotive purposes, if not I will add a few layers of good old duct tape before installing.

So in case anyone is mildly interested... here are my lessons learned.

1. regular 'household' mirror is too thick, need to go with automotive mirror.
2. the mirror on the bike is slightly convex, the rear view automotive mirror is flat.
3. a thin mirror placed in a holder supported only around the edges needs some sort of damper so it doesn't vibrate causing the image to be blurry. (stick a bunch of tape on the back to give it weight)
4. heat the plastic slightly to enable the mirror to pop into place. To get it out, simply break the mirror and try again. :brow

So there you go... total cost $10.

Back