• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Greetings

Mauldus

Southern Rider
Well, I think it's time I stop lurking and say hello. I officially own the bike now, so I don't feel like such a poser. Hows about some background?

I'm 27. I've had a motorcycle since I was six and was riding even before that with my dad. I've done many trips up on the tank when I was little. I've been around BMW's since I can remember. :german I've been reading the ON off and on for more than a decade and dreaming of the day where I'll get my own beemer. I mainly rode dirt up till high school and didn't have a motorcycle in college.

I was born and raised in Alabama, excellent state for riding and adventure. I moved out to Utah in late 2006 to find work, hang out with friends, and generally try somewhere new. I do web development for an ecommerce company. I love my job and my team. Most of the few friends that were out here moved away for other jobs so I've been anxiously awaiting the moment I can purchase a new bike and get back on the road and meet some new friends.

I finalized a deal on a 2001 R1150GS w/ 12.5k miles this weekend and my dad went to pick it up for me. It's sitting at his house till I can go pick it up second of May. I've gotta get my course and license out of the way and collect my gear as well.

Here's the bike currently. That Aeroflow has to go and I'll probably part with the top box as well. Already ordered a Kaoko throttle control and am going to work on some aux lighting.

Can't wait to meet yall in Gillette. Take care.

Attachments

• CIMG2205.JPG
    CIMG2205.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 189
Thanks for the welcome Roy!

Hey Statdawg, thanks a lot for the ride and loc tips. I'll definitely keep those on my to-visit list. I'm definitely not a Zoobie or LDS. They all think I'm a heathern. Which of course I am! Lets just say I'd be more at home in Seattle. I definitely prefer SLC's night life and crowd but I work in Orem and I love not having to get on I-15 in the morning. I'll probably be looking for a house farther north here soon.

I miss my foothills and greenery in Alabama but the mountains are a nice change of scenery. It seems many people take it for granted here.

I'm currently working on a site to log my rides and gear. Being a developer, I've gotta write it from scratch lol. :type

Welcome Welcome

Welcome to the MOA. Glad to have some 'young blood' infused into our organization.

Bike looks like it will be a lot of fun - let's see you double those miles this year!

Tell your friends about us - all are welcome.

Welcome

Glad to have you here. Great looking ride. Looks like you will be headed to Torrey before too long.

Looking forward to some trip reports with pictures as soon as the summer is here.

Glad you joined.

Nice looking ride. Welcome. Leave that topcase on for awhile. I think you will find it very handy.

Welcome!!! Nice BMW

Welcome Mauldus:

Sounds like you are ready for some serious motorcycling. We will have to look you up in Gillette WY this year.

Thanks for the welcomes, guys!

Greenwald: I'll be starting late and pacing myself but I plan on bumping that number up considerably.

Belquar: I'll definitely check out the utility of it before I take it off but I'd almost rather go with dry bags and rolls on the back for those kinds of trips. The top box seems more like a secure place to lock up your helmet and gear while you're off the bike. I could be wrong though. Time will tell.

That Aeroflow has to go and I'll probably part with the top box as well. Already ordered a Kaoko throttle control and am going to work on some aux lighting.

Can't wait to meet yall in Gillette. Take care.

welcome! you have excellent taste in motorcycles.

for a windshield, let me suggest the adventure shield with tobinator mounts.

1150a.gif

i hated the aeroflow, too. much too big and really didn't solve the buffeting. tried givi as well, no joy.

i got mine from nippy norman's in the UK... back when the dollar was stronger. you can also get them from bmw santa cruz, but i cannot find them on their site.

you want the tobinators (the adjustable mounts) the GS Adventure adapters, and the GS Adventure shield. the tobinators let you adjust the shield for your height and riding position.

for me, it totally transformed the bike.

ian

welcome! you have excellent taste in motorcycles.

for a windshield, let me suggest the adventure shield with tobinator mounts.

Thanks man! I thought so too. :german

I've actually got a Givi that came with the bike that has been trimmed down a bit. I'm going to try that first for an initial fix. I'll definitely look into the Adventure shield though. I really like the stock look. The tobinators look awesome as well. I'm curious to know how that effects your aerodynamics being that the bottom of the shield could be farther in front of your headlight bevel than normal.

Thanks man! I thought so too. :german

I've actually got a Givi that came with the bike that has been trimmed down a bit. I'm going to try that first for an initial fix. I'll definitely look into the Adventure shield though. I really like the stock look. The tobinators look awesome as well. I'm curious to know how that effects your aerodynamics being that the bottom of the shield could be farther in front of your headlight bevel than normal.

you can try the tobinators with the Givi.

The GS has terrible aerodynamics to start with, so no worries about compromising them. :ha

The tobinators let you adjust the shield exactly for your height and riding position, and this is very important for eliminating buffeting, as just a small change makes a significant difference.

ian

Thanks for the tips dawg! I appreciate the insight.

Dropped you a pm.... if you want to check out some good dirt or even just the twistys in western COlorado... ride on over and i can show you around... I am a good half day ride east...

as for top cases.... dont get one if you are going to hit anything off the pavement.... have a friend in Glenwood Springs Colordo break two of them off.... once with a six pack of beer in it ... what a waste of good colorado micro brew.. the vibrations just crack the mounting points... if you have jessie side boxs... use the canoeing dry bags.... get a few different sizes and a metal spider webbing that can lock down for long trips.... you really got to only worry about "casual theft"... I use now the Caribou PELICAN cases that fit with my auxilery tanks......

the tanks are just in front of the system cases
ArticCircleBike.jpg

how they mount to the bike... dont mind the infor on the cracks from a slipped rubber pad
TankCrack.jpg

TankBracket.jpg

The GS has terrible aerodynamics to start with, so no worries about compromising them.

The tobinators let you adjust the shield exactly for your height and riding position, and this is very important for eliminating buffeting, as just a small change makes a significant difference.

ian

I'm definitely not worried about compromising the GS's aerodynamics lol. I was just curious what that large gap would do to the airflow. Seems like it'd reduce some drag and low pressure area behind the shield. Would be neat to try.

Dropped you a pm.... if you want to check out some good dirt or even just the twistys in western COlorado... ride on over and i can show you around... I am a good half day ride east...

Hey, thanks for the info and the offer! I'll probably take you up on it when I get ready to check out CO.

Cheers!

I am not sure if it is the best place but it is ranked very high. If you ski, ride motorcycles, hike, and climb granite you have it made. If you are a Latter Day Saint it is even easier for you.

I lived near Sandy at one time and a good friend of mine still lives in Orem doing Real Estate Appraising. We always rode somewhere even if it was the Alpine Loop, the Squaw Peak, Heber, Lehi, the Pony Express route past Fairfield, and where we could among the nerve agents and bio-weapons storage northwest of Delta. Before it turned into an Area 51 type of site.

If you are headed to the Rally take the outlaw trail up through Flaming Gorge.

Hey, Statdawg,

You seem to be a wealth of information. Thanks for sharing.
I don't ski, hike, or climb granite, nor want to. Motorcycle riding suits me just fine.
I AM a Latter-Day Saint, though, so I suppose it is easier for me being a convert transplanted from Chicago (I drink diet Coke and cuss more than I should admittedly, lol. I have a loooong way to go.).
I am curious about who your friend is in Orem. I live in Draper and am a real estate appraiser, too. What does he ride? When the weather cooperates I do my inspections on my bike.
The Alpine Loop is one of the most fun rides, especially if you do it AFTER they clear the rocks off the road and BEFORE they open for the season....no cars.
That route you mentioned about the Outlaw Trail, is it paved?

Back