• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Great River Road must see/eat suggestions?

Fast Eddie's Bon Air in Alton, IL

With unique in the name it has to be good. Thanks

If you are rolling down the great river road through Illinois towards St. Louis, there is a cool bar called Fast Eddie's Bon Air in Alton. Fast Eddie's has $1 brats, burgers, and dawgs, great cold beer, usually a band on the weekend, and lots of different variety of riders who stop by. Nice outdoor patio too. Not gourmet food, but fun place with cheap eats.

http://www.fasteddiesbonair.com/

1530 E 4th St, Alton
(618) 462-5532

Been There to...................

If you are rolling down the great river road through Illinois towards St. Louis, there is a cool bar called Fast Eddie's Bon Air in Alton. Fast Eddie's has $1 brats, burgers, and dawgs, great cold beer, usually a band on the weekend, and lots of different variety of riders who stop by. Nice outdoor patio too. Not gourmet food, but fun place with cheap eats.

http://www.fasteddiesbonair.com/

1530 E 4th St, Alton
(618) 462-5532

Fast Eddies Bon Aire in Alton is really cool, I believe it dates way back to the Prohibition days. Cool Vibe, Cold Beer, Cheap Eats with a view of the Mississippi River what more could a guy want.

Be sure to try the Steak Kabob & Cold Shrimp appetizer's.

Ride Safe & Miss You in St. Paul,
P

Thanks guys! I remember seeing Fast Eddie's on Feasting on Asphalt. Looks like an awesome place. Can't believe the prices!

Thanks Zygmund! I have been reading a bit about wild rice salads in your area and they sound really good. I will check out the 502 for sure and genuinely appreciate the info.

I don't like big cities, but am planning on overnighting in the St. Paul area. From what I have read there are some cool old diners and such in that area? What about around Bemidji?

In Bemidji, I recommend the 209 Bar. They do not have a web site but this is the address. "209 Minnesota Ave NW, Bemidji, MN 56601 (218) 751-2442" It's a great dive with the best burgers in town.

If you find yourself in La Crosse, WI a great place to eat is the Waterfront Tavern. http://www.thewaterfrontlacrosse.com As the name implies it is right on the river, it looks fancy but the food is great and the prices are reasonable. Wherever you stop in WI, I recommend that you get a Spotted Cow beer! It's from a local WI brewery named New Glarus, simply the best.

As others have mentioned, somewhere in your travels to MN and WI you have to get a fresh Walleye lunch or diner.

I see you are going to Lake Itasca, the headwaters to the Mississippi river. The only place you can walk across the mighty river, great photo op.

Enjoy your trip.

river road

For what its worth from Winona MN to Dubuque IA the road is much better for riding. The Wisconsin side is good north of Onalaska Wi up to Prescott Wi. Plus there is way to much rolling thunder on the Wisconsin side for my taste and I live there in the summer.

Moto, you had me at dive bar! Thanks for the food and road recommendations, they are genuinely appreciated. I am leaving August 1st (this coming Friday).

Reading back over this thread is making me hungry. Very anxious to try some of these places, and a fresh walleye meal.

Try Trempealeau, Wi.

Just up the river from La Crosse on 35. Hotel at Trempealeau, Wi.

Try their Walnut Burger. Good view of the river.

Trempealeau hotel 2.jpg

Back