• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Great Photo of 2023 MotoGP Riders in Germany

Certainly street tires can be use on the track, yet what type of tyres are used in MotoGP? Racing tyres. Michelin produces two types of MotoGP tyres. Slick tyres, which are used in dry conditions, and rain tires, which are used exclusively when there is water on the track.

MotoGP dry tires (wet too?) also come in hard, medium and soft compounds. Tires are also made specifically for certain tracks where more time is spent leaning left or right. These tires are completely GONE by the time they have run 100 miles (maybe less). So, even commercially available slicks have no comparison to these tires. Just like my riding has no comparison to these guys. They are just a different breed.

Imo

Let's be clear, I think that next to ZERO items on these machines are remotely equivalent to anything available commercially to the average joe. I suspect that even the "race" tires that are made available to pros on lesser circuits are even equivalent. There's prolly some differences between the compounds they give to Moto2/3 compared to the big boys. Maybe WSBK is somewhat equivalent... but even then, I suspect that MotoGP is the ultimate proving ground and items trickle down to us mortals from there.

Perhaps I am a bit fanboy, someone with real knowledge might easily debunk...

But I think the bikes, tires, helmets, suits, fuel... all of it... alien-level unobtanium much like the riders themselves.

Marquez on a Duc should be fascinating. Curios if his riding style can be a match and if his body is too far gone.

They should have given Martin the second factory seat but I think Pecco say "no, no...Non mi piace questa idea!!!"

Attachments

• Pecco.COTA.2024.jpg
    Pecco.COTA.2024.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 114
Let's be clear, I think that next to ZERO items on these machines are remotely equivalent to anything available commercially to the average joe. I suspect that even the "race" tires that are made available to pros on lesser circuits are even equivalent. There's prolly some differences between the compounds they give to Moto2/3 compared to the big boys. Maybe WSBK is somewhat equivalent... but even then, I suspect that MotoGP is the ultimate proving ground and items trickle down to us mortals from there.

But I think the bikes, tires, helmets, suits, fuel... all of it... alien-level unobtanium much like the riders themselves.

The quick shifter, various levels of traction control, launch control, anti-wheelie, fuel injection mapping control and programmable engine braking I have on my sportbike are all trickle-down technology from racing.

Helmets and suits identical to what MotoGP riders use are available to the general public. Tires - no. Fuel - no. Talent - only in my dreams. :laugh

Pirelli WSBK tires ARE available to the general public but not legal for street use. In 2024 Pirelli will also be supplying tires for Moto2 and Moto3, a change from Dunlop. New tires are being developed for those classes.

The quick shifter, various levels of traction control, launch control, anti-wheelie, fuel injection mapping control and programmable engine braking I have on my sportbike are all trickle-down technology from racing.

Helmets and suits identical to what MotoGP riders use are available to the general public. Tires - no. Fuel - no. Talent - only in my dreams. :laugh

Pirelli WSBK tires ARE available to the general public but not legal for street use. In 2024 Pirelli will also be supplying tires for Moto2 and Moto3, a change from Dunlop. New tires are being developed for those classes.

Was trying to explain racing trickle down logic to family after viewing the new Ferrari film over the holidays... this is a big reason why racing makes SO much sense, beyond sheer entertainment. :clap

Sounds like you know more than I do re specific tyre techs etc., I just assume that THEY are on the thing that anyone like WE could really get our hands on by some period of years later... with a waterfall through all the pro leagues thereafter... but again, sounds like you have domain expertise.

I just like putting them on a pedestal, literally.

MotoGP.corner.23.jpg

What is Videometry?

Speaking of MotoGP…..

Videometry, is a technique that is sweeping MotoGP in 2024. “Videometry consists of recording at a certain point on the track, always in curves, the pace of previously determined riders. These images are superimposed via software to reveal the different lines used by each rider and allows them to imitate the benchmark rider's line.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...7&cvid=1315dda5a0d240b885933eae40de411d&ei=23

Back