• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS....Again

One of the biggest differences is that the Zumo touch screen is much more sensitive and the on screen buttons are larger. This makes using the touch screen much easier with gloves on. The Zumo also has an internal battery. My previous 2610 was connected to a switched power source on the bike. Anytime I turned off the ignition, such as when getting gas, the GPS would also shut off. This meant waiting for it to boot up a lot. The Zumo doesn't shut off right away, instead you get a prompt asking you if you want it to stay on. You get 30 seconds to answer "Yes" or it shuts off.
Some good stuff, I see. Does the Zumo also have choices for calculating routes, based upon preferences of types of roads (i.e: avoid highways, or toll roads, etc.) or based upon whether to choose minor, medium or major roads?

Does the Zumo also have choices for calculating routes, based upon preferences of types of roads (i.e: avoid highways, or toll roads, etc.) or based upon whether to choose minor, medium or major roads?

Simialr to the 2610, the Zumo has vehicle preference & routing/avoidance preferences. "Vehicle" does not include a pedestrian option. You can't choose major/secondary/minor roads, although "shortest route" (vs "fastest route") will generally put you on secondary roads. You can avoid tollroads, ferries, HOV lanes, u-turns, interstates, highways, or unpaved roads. Some of the above can be very important, especially if you've haven't set the Zumo up for your style of riding.

For example, last year I was on the BRP heading down to the RA Rally in Asheville. I was low on fuel, so I asked "Suzy" to find me a gas station, which she did. But when I enabled the "Go There!" Routing function, Suzy wanted me to drive down 5 miles of goat paths to the valley below to the nearest gas station.

I had overlooked turning off the "UnPaved Road" avoidance feature, so Suzy thought that I was riding a GS instead of my K75.

The 550 also has a "gas gauge." After you enter some parameters about your vehicle, the 550 warns when you're low on fuel, plus asks if you want to find a nearby gas station.

Hope this is useful.

Check out the prices for Garmin's at Best Buy. They got several good models in your price range. Plus if you order on-line, you save some more $$$.

I have the Quest on the bike, but that's out of your price range. You can get a good touch screen Nuvi for the money you want to spend (I just bought one for my truck) and have some $$$ left over to make it work for your bike.

Simialr to the 2610, the Zumo has vehicle preference & routing/avoidance preferences. "Vehicle" does not include a pedestrian option. You can't choose major/secondary/minor roads, although "shortest route" (vs "fastest route") will generally put you on secondary roads. You can avoid tollroads, ferries, HOV lanes, u-turns, interstates, highways, or unpaved roads. Some of the above can be very important, especially if you've haven't set the Zumo up for your style of riding.

For example, last year I was on the BRP heading down to the RA Rally in Asheville. I was low on fuel, so I asked "Suzy" to find me a gas station, which she did. But when I enabled the "Go There!" Routing function, Suzy wanted me to drive down 5 miles of goat paths to the valley below to the nearest gas station.

I had overlooked turning off the "UnPaved Road" avoidance feature, so Suzy thought that I was riding a GS instead of my K75.

The 550 also has a "gas gauge." After you enter some parameters about your vehicle, the 550 warns when you're low on fuel, plus asks if you want to find a nearby gas station.

Hope this is useful.
You bet it is! Thanks, John! I'll buy you a beer (or two) at Johnson City.

If your considering the Zumo 550, you may also want to consider the 450 and save some $$. The only differences that I am aware of are:

• 550 includes a car mount
  • 550 has bluetooth capability
  • 550 has XM capability (requires subscription and optional antenna $$$)
  • 550 can annunciate street names, the 450 just says "Next Left". They both show the street name on the screen.

I have a 2610, the predecessor to the 2720. I'd buy the 2610 again. It's great.

And you can find the 2610 all day long on Ebay or similar for $150 or so. That doesn't, however, include the complete maps or the mounts for the bike. Adding those in nudges the price up a bit.

I'm quietly lusting for the Zumo 450. Waterproof-ish, all the maps, decent mount - currently $399 on Amazon.

I've got a birthday around the corner. New easel or Zumo... ack.

I'm quietly lusting for the Zumo 450. Waterproof-ish, all the maps, decent mount - currently $399 on Amazon...

And don't forget the built in battery that lets you play with it in the restaurant while you're waiting for lunch. :)

Sorry for the brief hijack, but does anybody have a picture of how the Zumo mounts to the bike? Preferably a GS. I have yet to see one in person.

Sorry for the brief hijack, but does anybody have a picture of how the Zumo mounts to the bike? Preferably a GS. I have yet to see one in person.

Go here:
http://www.gadgetguy.net/PhotoGallery/BMW_R1200RT_KitIX_EJII_BPII_Zumo/BMW_R1200RT_with_Zumo.html
It's not a GS, but you get the picture. You can see other pics and setups in the same site. I think he sells a great product.
I need to upgrade my discontinued GPS III, which has served me well enough on and off-road for almost 10 years, but I don't want to spend $1k.

Back