• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS....Again

scoobs

Hi, I'm interested in buying a GPS unit for use on my K75RT, would be grateful for any positive feedback on the subject. Don't mind paying for quality but would like to keep the price below $250 if possible.
Cheers :beer

Bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 thru Amazon for less than $200. Then bought all needed RAM mounts from CycleGadgets.com.

Used it all the way to Gillette (a 1,000 mile Iron Butt run) and also on the way home.

Never failed me and often bailed me out of not knowing where to gas, lodge or eat.

Won't travel without it again.

I even devised an ingenius way to enclose it in a waterproof case and continue it's use in heavy rain.

Should you get one, PM me for details and I'll send photos as well via e-mail.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Last Thanksgiving my wife bought me a Garmin Street Pilot C330 for $128 on sale. Not being GPS savy, we did not know it was not deemed motorcycle friendly.

In February I made a 3k mile trip to Key West. I mounted th suction cup to my windshield (K100LT). After 8 days I had to run a knife blade under the suction cup to remove. The sun does wash out the screen at times. I placed a zip lock bag over the GPS when it looked like rain. I traveled 200 miles on 2 different days (400 total) In rain so heavy I could not see through it at times. The only thing remaining dry was the GPS. The volume is loud enough to hear with ear plugs
at 70 mph.

No, it's not a Zumo. Had I rather have a Zumo? Yes. Would I buy a Zumo? No, I'm too cheap and a GPS isn't worth $500 or more to me. $200 would be my top price.

All in all I'm satisfied, especially the price. I also use it in the car at times. I don't leave it on the bike or in the car. I use it occasionally. I think I might like the NUVI better, it's more compact.

Here is a review of the C330 on web Bike World.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/garmin-gps/c330/

Ralph Sims

Attachments

• Key West 002.jpg
    Key West 002.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 617
Before you buy, go the company website and research the unit for being weather proof. Many Garmin's are not weather proof.

Hi, I'm interested in buying a GPS unit for use on my K75RT, would be grateful for any positive feedback on the subject. Don't mind paying for quality but would like to keep the price below $250 if possible.
Cheers :beer

Garmin 2720 and RAM mount for ~ $200.00.....eBAy. You can buy from a Garmin dealer and or certified resaler and get a 1 year warr.

Garmin GPS60CX

Completely waterproof. Smaller screen, but readable even in direct sun. Mine has a RAM mount and is hardwired into the bike.

Loads of functionality.

If you could find a nice 276c I would grab it. This marine unit is waterproof and has one of the brightest screens around. Plus the battery life is like 15-20 hrs if you want to use it off the bike.

I had the 276 for 3-4 years then bought the 376 in order to have the XM radio for my tunes, and Nexrad weather radar overlay on my map page...saved my butt a couple of times northbound on I-35 near Kansas when the 'red' center of the storm turned 'black'. Turned out to be a tornado both times. I saw the full picture on the GPS screen and detoured east for a few miles, missed the whole event :bolt .

Pretty neat stuff!

Jim

I bought a Garmin Quest II and I'm quite happy with it. It was a factory refurb with a one year warranty. Great screen good audio directions. Paid $225 delivered.

Thanks for some positive feedback, I've borrowed one from a buddy to try out on my next trip, but will be browsing the electrical stores on my day off tomorrow.
Cheers,
:drink

Bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 thru Amazon for less than $200. Then bought all needed RAM mounts from CycleGadgets.com.

Used it all the way to Gillette (a 1,000 mile Iron Butt run) and also on the way home.

Never failed me and often bailed me out of not knowing where to gas, lodge or eat.

Won't travel without it again.

I even devised an ingenius way to enclose it in a waterproof case and continue it's use in heavy rain.

Should you get one, PM me for details and I'll send photos as well via e-mail.

Good Luck!

I have a Zumo 550, and it's waterproof. The 350 isn't? I'm surprised. By the way, I love my GPS!:clap

Garmin 2730

I upgraded from a Garmin GPS V about a year and a half ago. I got this specific package from this company. (no connection other than being a satisfied customer)

http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/viewItem.html?idProduct=290

Love the unit. It's IPX7 certified. Motorcycle friendly (I can work most of the touch screen with gloves on). Plus it comes with the expensive XM antenna included. If you don't yet have sat radio on your bike - it's just a matter of time, and this makes it so convenient. Imho this package gets you everything you get with the Zumo plus the antenna and several mounts (car and beanbag) for a fraction of the cost. The only thing you will need to add is a RAM or Tuouratech mount. I also got the motorcycle power cable and made a little plate I sandwich between the ram and Garmin motorcycle mount to hold the xm antenna. I use the unit on both the bike and in the car. Moves in about 5 minutes.

Only thing I would do differently is that I would get the RAM mount for the unit instead of the Garmin version. The Garmin version has a "security screw" (torx with a hole in the middle). It comes with a little driver for your keychain that is really inconvenient. Problem is that the mount is not secure without tightening the screw so you are stuck carrying the driver. Understand it's the same way on the Zumo mount.

I have a Zumo 550, and it's waterproof. The 350 isn't? I'm surprised. By the way, I love my GPS!:clap

No it's not. You're right.

The entire NUVI line (200,250,300,350,360, etc.) from Garmin is designed for use inside a vehicle; not in adverse elements.

But the price and features were so compelling, I found a way to make it work.

Enjoy your Zumo.

I have a Nav III (2820) and a 2720 as well as a Windows Mobile 6 (AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925) phone that runs the Garmion software and uses the built-in GPS hardware.

I bought the 2720 on eBay and got a warrenty for it as well for 2 years from the date of purchase. It was complete except for the cover ($20). I upgraded the maps for another $70 from TVNav.Com. I bought my Garmin Mobile XT software from them as well for $99. It included the maps.

I like being able to sue the phone as my nav system as it also provides e-mail, MPS/WMA player, internet access, traffic access, locating gas staions (cheapest first via Microsoft Live Search), and lots more.

For a dedicated nav system, the Garmin 2xxx series can't be beat.

$271 will get you a new GARMIN 60 Cx which happens to be one of the best out there.

Great on the bike, in the car or when on foot (compact unit).

No proprietary memory or batteries and it lasts a long time on a set of rechargable AAs as well as runs on 8 to 36 VDC.

Completely waterproof. Smaller screen, but readable even in direct sun. Mine has a RAM mount and is hardwired into the bike.

Loads of functionality.

+1 on the 60 cx. I love it on my GS and with a car kit....it can go in anything I drive. With a 2 gig card you can download the US and Canada in it.

Garmin 2720 and RAM mount for ~ $200.00.....eBAy. You can buy from a Garmin dealer and or certified resaler and get a 1 year warr.

I have a 2610, the predecessor to the 2720. I'd buy the 2610 again. It's great.

I have a 2610, the predecessor to the 2720. I'd buy the 2610 again. It's great.

+1 :thumb It seems to offer more flexibility in routing than some of the newer units. I'd be interested to hear from someone who went from the 2610 or similar unit to the Zumo and the differences they found.

+1 :thumb It seems to offer more flexibility in routing than some of the newer units. I'd be interested to hear from someone who went from the 2610 or similar unit to the Zumo and the differences they found.

One of the biggest differences is that the Zumo touch screen is much more sensitive and the on screen buttons are larger. This makes using the touch screen much easier with gloves on. The Zumo also has an internal battery. My previous 2610 was connected to a switched power source on the bike. Anytime I turned off the ignition, such as when getting gas, the GPS would also shut off. This meant waiting for it to boot up a lot. The Zumo doesn't shut off right away, instead you get a prompt asking you if you want it to stay on. You get 30 seconds to answer "Yes" or it shuts off.

to add ...

Zumo 550 model has MP3 player, Bluetooth-capablility, and XM radio (although you'll need an XM subscription .... which I had already .... and the additional XM antenna ($130+) Works well with Autocom system & earbuds.

XM through the 550 also provides real-time traffic info, which comes is very handy, and some limited weather info. (No live NEXRAD maps.)

550 has a huge "breadcrumb" capability .... retaining the routes you've driven on. The 2610 is weak in this area .... my old GPS-V was better.

So the price of Zumo 550 admission is steep, but worthwhile to me. If you only need GPS features, you can reduce your cost by forgoing the XM radio-related equipment.

But if you like XM, keep in mind the XM & Sirius radio are merging. While this won't render the 550 obsolete, Garmin might eventually put out a model that receives both XM & Sirius signals, which I believe the 550 won't be capable of.

The 550 works well in a car too, so I'm sometimes GPS-less when my wife borrows it.

With internal battery power, it works in aircraft (with stewardess permission); neat to see 550 mph on the speed display.

Last edited:
No it's not. You're right.

The entire NUVI line (200,250,300,350,360, etc.) from Garmin is designed for use inside a vehicle; not in adverse elements.

But the price and features were so compelling, I found a way to make it work.

Enjoy your Zumo.

The Garmin website

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27442&locale=en_US

:nono shows that the Nuvi 550 is waterproof and designed for bikes. I can not atest to anything else about it.

Back