• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Got my Bags Connection Mapholder today!

mistercindy

The brown truck brought the Bags Connection mapholder today! It looks like a heckuva product. I put it on the Trip quick lock bag this morning for my commute to work. It was a good day for testing because I was riding 30 miles south, and we had 25 MPH winds gusting to 45 MPH coming out of the southwest. If the mapholder was ever going to be unstable it'd be this morning! But it was solid as a rock. :thumb

The mapholder has two clips that attach to two D-rings on the bag. The other side has a velcro flap. If you want to get into the bag without removing the mapholder you undo the velcro and flip it up. Works like a charm.

BTW, the folks at twistedthrottle, where I ordered the mapholder, ought to have better pictures of it because its way cooler than you can see from the pictures they have. That, and I had no idea that there was a 9" x 4" "pocket" that fits into the mapholder, which is 10" x 9 1/2". The pocket can be removed, but when its in the mapholder it remains stable by a small strip of velcro. It has a clear plastic top, like the top of the mapholder, so you can see what's inside of it. It'd be the perfect place for a battery operated GPS device in a space that'd be fairly water resistant. But I'll probably put a couple of pens or maybe my folded insurance paper in it.

The mapholder itself, which I measure at 10" X 9 1/2" looks darn solid. It opens and shuts with a zipper with a large round thingy on it so you can open it with gloves. I like the fact that the mapholder can hold at least a half inch of paper or whatever you'd put in it. Not that I'd ever do that, but I like to have a map folded to north Texas in my mapholder, but if I've ever printed a google map I've always had to remove the Texas map to fit the two together. I tend to be a hoarder, so that may not be a positive feature for me, but I like it!

I gotta say that this looks like a heckuva product. I've spent a lifetime with a love/hate relationship with tankbags/mapholders, and this quick lock Trip bag and mapholder seems to be the most user friendly and well built that I've ever owned.

As for the map case, it attaches to the top (wider) part of the bag at the two D-rings. The holder comes with two plastic clips, and they just snap onto the rings. The bottom of the map case has a velcro flap. This is what connects to the "loop" side fastener on the bottom (narrower) side of the bag.

That way, you can undo the velcro and flip the map case out of the way to get into the bag, without loosing possession of the map holder.
One question about that velcro that holds the mapholder down. The mapholder came with a separate piece of velcro that attaches to both the mapholder and then the bag. What purpose does it serve, other than for elongating the reach of the velcro by about a half inch?

One question about that velcro that holds the mapholder down. The mapholder came with a separate piece of velcro that attaches to both the mapholder and then the bag. What purpose does it serve, other than for elongating the reach of the velcro by about a half inch?

Not a clue. The only thing I could ponder was if you had the map case packed so thick, you needed a little 'extra reach' with the velcro.

Even though this bag is expandable by releasing the lower zipper, this does not affect the map case mounting.

Any one else have thoughts? :scratch

Back