• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Good news! 2009 R1200RT

RCOCKRUM

Sheep Dog
I know this issue has been discussed before, but I may have new info. Took my 2009 1200 RT in to have it's third fuel strip installed. This time it's out of warranty. Cost in the $300 range. The service rep suggested I call BMW National in Ohio and register a complaint. I did so, using my most polite voice. Told them that I realized the strip was out of warranty and they were not under any obligation to cover anything. Also stated that they had to know how many of these were going bad, and not just in the U.S. Corn and soybean gas was not the problem.

The dealer, Falcone Power Sports, in Indianapolis followed up with BMW when they confirmed that it was indeed a faulty fuel strip. I do all my own maintenance, so BMW has no record of repair. I have a GS911, so I can reset the on board computer when I do the work. I was not asked for any receipts or service records.

Just got the call, strip is being replaced at no cost. Can this be a change in customer relations at BMW National? Dealer also said all strips in stock were being recalled and replaced with new ones. Might this be a permanent fix? I'll let you know if this one lasts any longer than the first two.

For now, I may have had my confidence in BMW restored.

This is potential good news indeed. I really like all aspects of my RT, but the fuel strip is a maddening thing.

Since it was your third fuel strip, is it safe to assume number two was installed by a dealer within the past two years? If so, then it was covered by a two year parts warranty and should have been replaced. If not, then you did get special consideration from the mother company.

I hope this "new" strip is better than the current ones. I had mine replaced -- at my cost -- on the 30th of June. It lasted exactly one-and-a-half days of riding. It has a two-year warranty, so I'll probably wait to see what develops before rushing back to the dealer.

The strip was out of warranty. It was going to cost me about $300 for the new strip. The service rep said they had put 3 strips in the same bike in a week prior to the recall. Hoping this is a permanent fix.

The strip was out of warranty. It was going to cost me about $300 for the new strip. The service rep said they had put 3 strips in the same bike in a week prior to the recall. Hoping this is a permanent fix.

I just called Max BMW (where I had mine replaced -- at my cost -- on 30 June 12). They said that BMW did indeed issue a notice to dealers to remove, from inventory, certain fuel sensor strips. It sounded to me like they were "recalling" (my word, not theirs) a certain lot, or lots, of known faulty strips, not that they were going to be replaced in inventory by "re-designed" strips. We may be reading a bit too much into this, but who knows for certain.

I don't think "recall" translates into German. Think you're right about a bad batch. I'm just glad and surprised BMW did anything let alone cover the complete replacement.

I hope they figured out a fix or you have to decide what you're going to do when the next 3 need replacing....

" Dealer also said all strips in stock were being recalled and replaced with new ones. "

I find that statement most interesting

I posted a different thread about a faulty RT starter button which is another "known" issue.

(By the way, if your new RT starter button fails, as an emergency fix, pour cold water or put some ice on it. High temperatures deform the switch, and the contacts won't meet!)

A couple of days after the dealer replaced the button on my bike with one from the showroom floor, I got an e-mail saying I should bring my bike in when I get a chance. When they ordered a new right switch cluster as a replacement, they found it has a new part number, superseding the old model. They think the new part is meant to address the switch failure issue.

Maybe BMW is trying to fix these recurring problems after all.

Back