• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Going to Zacatecas, Mexico in January

tsiero

I signed up for a language school for one week in Zacatecas, Mexico and the next week I will spend in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco. Pretty good deal, room and board while at school is $26.00 per day and tuition is $150.00 per week. I am driving south form Palomas , Mexico to Parral and then to Cuemcame. Then to Zacatecas. Later to Aquascalientas and Puerto Vallatra. Any one know of good stops along the way?

RE: Mexico language school

I would like to hear more about this school-Is it geared for for non-spanish speakers like myself?Please give more information on dates,type of training,web site,etc... I am interested in the school and you can see my earlier post looking for ride partner/s to Mexico. I have found language barriers to be the main thing lacking in all my travels, no matter where. I am wondering if my age will hamper acquisition of language skills-anyone out there have thoughts about that? I would enjoy the Puerto Vallarta part as well but am wanting to see/tour other parts of Mexico .

Mexico/ spanish language schools???

I am now looking at the schools in Zacatecas and there branch in Chalchihutes plus another school that looks reasonable in cost and a neat location in Tepoztlan-1.5 hrs S of Mexico City. If anyone has personal experience with this idea or these schools let me know. I would ride down one way back another and take weekend trips and evening trips from the school.

My son and his wife rode there this summer. See the "Vaya con Dios II" tour over on Adventure Rider.

Extending this trip

I am going from Jan 2 now for 4 weeks and after Zacatecas I will meet my wife in Puerto Vallarta for week two. Then week threeis in another school probably in Morelia and the 9 days to wander back to the USA. If anybody will be in Mexico then and has any suggestions give me a shout.

Ted

Going to Zacatecas Mexico in January

Bravo Ted and to anyone who shows the courtesy of learning some Spanish before riding south into Mexico. It shows the local people that you have made some effort and have some appreciation of their culture. This, combined with an attitude you are not looking to have the world all arranged to your liking will take you a long way and maybe earn some lasting friendships. All very worth it based on about 35 years of discovering Mexico. My Spanish is getting about as good as my English and it sure makes the difference in every situation. All the best for a great ride!:wave

In Zacarecas now and ready for school.

1200 miles total to get here from Santa Fe, NM. Went as smooth as silk. Will update later.

Trip date??

Hey Kentucky Kid, when are you planning to make the trip?? I just might like to accompany you. I live in Memphis, and would surely be close to your route. Also, what part of Eastern Ky. are you from.. I was raised in Letcher Co..Let me know..Jim

Ride Update

Now I am in Puerto Vallarta. Language school taught me how much I need to learn. I will address that in the USA at a community college. I will spent the next few weeks scounting for a retirement place. Morelis, Oaxaca, and Puebla for some Mole' are a few cities I plan to see. To return I am driving up the coast from Salina Cruz to Guaymas. Anybody out ther wave as you go by.

Ted

Mexican ramblings

Ted,
You have the honor of my first post... I just joined and saw your thread. Hope you are enjoying your Mexican solourn!
First, I had the pleasure of attending medical school in Guadalajara (75-79) and then did the internship & social service thing in Gomez Palacio, Dgo (79-81). At the time, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato seemed to be a popular area for Americans desiring to spend a month abroad learning Spanish. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Mexico!
Of late, my son and I have attended the World Rally Championship in Leon, Guanajuato for the past three years running and will be down there towards the end of next month. We have always driven from my place here in Denver, CO and have had smooth trips utilizing the "cuota" (toll road) highways. Smooth, lots of gas stations, no problems. While more expensive (about $100 in tolls each way), the roads are predominantly four lanes as opposed to narrow two lanes with lots of dodgy truck traffic.
If you have the chance, just south of Mazatlan, Sinoloa, is Villa Union. Take the old highway over El Espinazo del Diablo (the Devil's back bone) which will take you through some breath taking scenery to Durango, Durango. If you go that way, continue to Gomez Palacio and overnight at the Posada del Rio (Best Western). The rooms are nice and the breakfasts are fabulous.
Enjoy!
REM

Last March.....................

My son and I drove to Durango and went over the Espinazo Del Diabalo. My son said it reminded him of Boliva. He is now going to train with the Chilean Mountain Rescue Forces as he is a Pararescue Airman and great to have on a Moto trip. Guadalajara has a great medical program. I used to trade with Clem from BMW in the old days and two of my friends were mechanics at his shop in the early 70??s. My daughter tells me that the weather in Santa Fe has not warmed up yet so I my stay for two more months. Thanks for your response and wave as you go by on the road.
Ted

know a great hotel in Vallerta ,.. and the owner is a bike nut with BM if are interested.

http://www.hotelrio.com.mx/ tell Victor (the owner) that i recommended it and he might give you a reduction.. ps if you like U2 you will be sorted!

KEv

Last edited:
Long gone from PV

In Zihuatenejo now. Ride update the road to Tecoman is pretty boring but from the costal highway to Lazara Carednas was like the Highway one in California. Not much traffic lots of twisties and barely anytowns. It is called route 200. Got a room last night overlooking the ocean for $20.00. The owners mother made me a Lobters and shrimp Diabalo dinner for $5.00 USD. Breakfast for half of that Chorizo and eggs con tortillas. There were palapas for rent on the beach north of Playa Azul for $100.00 per week and this is where the heat began. I mean Hot. Feels like 95 degrees. I will take the next 4 days to get to Oaxaca.

When in Morelia

When looking for someone to ride, with you can meet fellow motocyclists in front of the Cathedral in El Centro have breakfast and put together a ride to the surrounding area. Good bet since they know the roads.

From Morelia to Guanajuato today

Went to San Miguel. Got a great picture with the Plaza filled with Old Gringos no Mexicans. Got a suggestion from a BMW rider that lives there and went from Allende to Hildago and then to Guanajuato on the back roads and it was a good ride with good roads. Am probably going to Zacatecas tommorrow as I need to pick up a 5 gallon bottle of Mescal. My son has a wedding in May and I see if I can get it through customs.

Mescal?

You'd better make that two 5 gal. jugs. I heard that the more makes the wedding that much merrier especially aged a week or so on the back of a beemer:bottle . Test out that flying brick utilitarian capacity too. When you going to Ushuaia, Argentina?

Don't forget the Yucatan for retirement

Now I am in Puerto Vallarta. Language school taught me how much I need to learn. I will address that in the USA at a community college. I will spent the next few weeks scounting for a retirement place. Morelis, Oaxaca, and Puebla for some Mole' are a few cities I plan to see. To return I am driving up the coast from Salina Cruz to Guaymas. Anybody out ther wave as you go by.

Ted

I'm leasing in Merida beginning April 1.I considered the Ajijic/Chapala area outside Guadalajara but it more like Gringolandia and you see as many USA/Canada plates as you do local plates.
Enjoy the ride.

Back