• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Going to the Sun Road

D

dkeast140506

Does anyone have any current comments on the 'Going to the Sun Road', Glacier National Park, Montana? Thinking about checking it out in mid June.

Thanks DArcy.

My niece is a Ranger at Glacier...she sent me this a few weeks back as we are headed to her wedding mid June

I just saw this years plow pictures. It does not look too bad but they are not showing the big drift area where a lot of snow accumulates. Here is the link for the pictures: http://www.nps.gov/glac/photosmultimedia/plowing-the-going-to-the-sun-road-2010.htm . When I went onto the website I saw that the plows are not to the big drift area yet. The earliest the road is going to open is June 18 this year that is if the weather permits. This opening does not reflect the weather conditions this year it reflects the Going to the Sun road projects. It is a ten year project to fix the Going to the Sun road and we are on year 5 of the project. It was built in 1932 and has been fixed since but it takes a beating every winter. They are strengthening the road and putting in bigger culverts. They have found that some of the rock walls that act as a barrier along the road are not attached to anything. These are the types of things this project includes but in general it is a pain in the ass to visitors. Here is more information on the road along with some free podcasts about the road: http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/goingtothesunroad.htm.

Thanks for the note and links Steve. I had forgotten that the road opens late. I will have to confirm that it is open before I go.

Going to the sun

When we rode the road on July 4th some years ago, there was lots of snow going over Logan's Pass. Road was clear however.

Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.

I started monitering the Pass a few days ago, in anticipation of doing a mid week sneak solo day run, there and back from Calgary. I tried to do a colour shoot there last fall, but the snow came before the leaves changed.

I started monitering the Pass a few days ago, in anticipation of doing a mid week sneak solo day run, there and back from Calgary. I tried to do a colour shoot there last fall, but the snow came before the leaves changed.

Hey Rin let me know when this opens. I plan to use the route on my way to Redmond and if I am very lucky might get to do a weekend zip down and back prior to that.

It was nice but very slow moving stop and go the whole way. Within a day of there is Bear Tooth pass which is much much better longer and way more fun. If your going to be in the area Bear tooth is much more recommended by me than Going to the sun.

Good chance it won't be open all the way through in Mid June but go anyway, just allow plenty of time to retrace your steps.
2051795807_30fcb5290f_o.jpg

It was nice but very slow moving stop and go the whole way. Within a day of there is Bear Tooth pass which is much much better longer and way more fun. If your going to be in the area Bear tooth is much more recommended by me than Going to the sun.

I went over Beartooth last summer in mid-July. It was snowing and foggy for the top 10Km with 4 inches of slush on the pavement. We we going less than 20km/hr the whole way behind an endless clog of cars. However, I have seen some wonderful pictures of the place on sunny days!

I simply have Going to the Sun on the 'bucket list' and it is 2000km closer to me than Beartooth.:)

Long day though. 462.9 miles, one way, shortest distance, from Bear Tooth Pass to Logan Pass.

It more or less depends on where you are and where you are headed. I do prefer Beartooth which is not in a National Park and is (except on Sunday afternoons) much less congested with gawkers. I would avoid either place on a weekend.

I confess I have had a terror induced warm spot in my heart for Beartooth ever since I rode it at 11:00 p.m. in the snow, during the 1999 IBR, only to find out they closed the road right after I left Cook City. I wondered at the time why I didn't meet anybody the whole way.

I confess I have had a terror induced warm spot in my heart for Beartooth ever since I rode it at 11:00 p.m. in the snow, during the 1999 IBR, only to find out they closed the road right after I left Cook City. I wondered at the time why I didn't meet anybody the whole way.

Oh yeah, I didn't mention that the 'pucker factor' was pretty darn high! I was concentrating so hard that I was halfway down the other side before I realized that I hadn't turned on my heated grips or seat - and I was freezing. :doh

...retrace your steps...

My plan, if the centre section is closed, is to go west to the start of the road work, then back to St. Mary and south, via the Kiowa Cut Off, to East Glacier, then back to Calgary.

If I can get through the road work, I'll do a counter clockwise loop back to St. Mary via Marias Pass, with a stop at the Isaac Walton on the way.

Last edited:
Good chance it won't be open all the way through in Mid June but go anyway, just allow plenty of time to retrace your steps.
2051795807_30fcb5290f_o.jpg

wow!!!! I need that!!! I'm going to MN in late July, this could be on the way......couldn't it???? great shot :clap

Paul:

If you're in there in July or August, do it real early in the morning. It's a great experience.

Here's a summit shot from a few years ago; right after I restored the old RS (note the minimalist touring kit):

237498849_9Preq-M.jpg

Paul:

If you're in there in July or August, do it real early in the morning. It's a great experience.

Here's a summit shot from a few years ago; right after I restored the old RS (note the minimalist touring kit):

237498849_9Preq-M.jpg

You know, I think I just figured out the apex of my trajectory to MN. Great shot! Thanks for the tip on time of day.

RE: Clean touring. Less is more. :deal

...I just figured out the Apex...PFranze

Paul:

If you're headed to Minnesota, you could combine Glacier with a run through the Beartooth, the BigHorns, and the Black Hills, on your way. But you've probably already figured that out. I did a photo essay on this trip in another forum, which I can send you, if you like.

P.S. Sorry about your Sharks, but maybe they can repeat the Philly miracle.

Update

Our local paper just carried an article on Glacier. Apparently this year is their 100 anniversary. There should be some special celebrations planned I would imagine.

Paul:

If you're headed to Minnesota, you could combine Glacier with a run through the Beartooth, the BigHorns, and the Black Hills, on your way. But you've probably already figured that out. I did a photo essay on this trip in another forum, which I can send you, if you like.

P.S. Sorry about your Sharks, but maybe they can repeat the Philly miracle.

the Sharks went down to a better team, no shame in that. I would highly appreciate any insight from you or anyone else regarding good roads/scenery in Montana and nearby environs. Bear Tooth has a nice sound to it........... don't think it would feel too good. I'll look into that but please, post some suggestions. I have no context of Montana and north. I pretty much have a wide open agenda. Point the nose towards the best weather, that's my compass.

Rinty, please send my your photo essay .

Back