• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gluing the Hall sensor rotating plate to alternator pulley?

I am putting my rebuilt Hall sensor back in my 1100. The book says that on 1996 on, the rotating steel cup should be glued to the back of the alternator pulley with a "special glue". My questions are: 1) Should I glue the two units together. I'm not at all sure they were when they came off. and 2) can I just use a dab of superglue to hold them together. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC05883.jpg
    DSC05883.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC05884.jpg
    DSC05884.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 97
1) I have seen them glued and not glued (original 1100's and 1150's). The OE manual says to glue it.
The cup will center itself on the shoulder of the pulley. The tab on the cup is to be located in the machined slot of the crankshaft. Be careful when assembling to ensure this. If done incorrectly the tab gets bent flat and timing will be wrong.
Torque the bolt to 50nm.
2) Instant glue is what is specified

I use a few small drops of "super glue", give the ring a twist as I seat it in the pulley and hold it in place with an appropriate socket and a steel brick on top. I leave it like that until I'm ready to install it. There is no indexing between the ring and pulley so nothing to worry about until you load the assembly on the end of the crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to you both for the help. I went ahead and glued the two pieces together using a few drops of Super Glue. It's a lot easier to mount the two when they are in one piece. I think it is less risky too, as the inner cup can't slide out of position as you put the two pieces back on the shaft.

Back