• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gel Seat Pads - anyone had luck with them? 1999 R1100RT

dadalpos

I have a stock seat on a R1100RT that is like sitting on a rock after about an hours ride. Does anyone have luck with gel seat pads or other seat pads? I've replaced the stock seat on all my past bikes but I don't want to drop that kind of coin on this bike so I was thinking about a gel pad cover or other.

Thanks!
Devin

I just had a couple seats repaired by a local guy and he used gel foam for the padding. It was a huge difference. Made the Corbin that was on one of the bikes feel like sitting on a wooden crate.

You can buy gel pads used to relieve pressure spots for the bed ridden and wheelchair users. A medical supply store or local pharmacy may have them. Just throw it on your saddle. Don't stand up when using one as it may blow away.

My wife swears by her Butt Buffer. She claims it's good for an extra hundred miles on a days ride. It has elastic straps with hooks to hold it onto the saddle. I prefer the Bead Runner. The advantage to beads is that in rain you aren't sitting in water and it allows for more air circulation.

I bought one of the gel pads made for a seat and it was ok. It helped and was about the same cost as the Airhawk...............
The Airhawk developed a leak that I couldn't seal.
The gel pad has sorta "time" or age hardened and is not what it used to be.
Unless I can figure something else, I will get another Airhawk when I get up to Whitehorse Gear.
OM

I was going to post the same question as I'm at the same place. 2000 RT seat hurts after not too long. Replacement seats are super expensive. The Airhawk looks good but at $180 its not cheap.
So, I just ordered a gel / air seat pad from Amazon for $30. It can be cut to shape and had good reviews. It's due for delivery tomorrow. I'll post how it works out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

These work well and don't fly off. http://www.airhawk.net/

Not gel; air and adjustable. No affiliation but I used one before I got a custom seat and they work very well.

Got one of these on my little CBR250RA. You put just enough air in it so you still sit on your seat. It puts even pressure on all the surface of your butt so you get no sore spots. Works quite well.

Got one of these on my little CBR250RA. You put just enough air in it so you still sit on your seat. It puts even pressure on all the surface of your butt so you get no sore spots. Works quite well.

Yeah it took me a couple tries before I figured out less was best. And by less I mean hardly any air. Just enough to get you off the seat a wee bit. When you move around the air shifts from rubber cell to cell thus relieving pressure points. It worked well enough however in the end I went to Rich's Custom Saddles in Kingston WA and Rich built me a seat that helped enormously. Getting off once an hour or so, standing on the pegs, shifting your weight, butt squeezing, you name it. They all help. Sheepskins are enough for some folks.

+1 for the Airhawk. Get the Airhawk R. Gel pads work when you first sit, but after a few hours are no better than the brick you put it on. $180 is not cheap, but I spent 600+ for a cutom, top name saddle and it was worthless I sent it down the road with a new owner.

I just put on some beads I've had for probably 10 years but never used. Living here in AZ I appreciate the airflow provided my posterior on my 2008 RT a great deal. But when I originally purchased them I had a K75S and took them off after about 2 hours.

Back