• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Geico Claims

squeaky4432

Squeaky
Does anyone have any experience with filing a claim with Geico?

My step-son had his Harley stolen at Sturgis. He filed a police report and then did the same with Geico. Subsequently, he had to give them a recorded account like the first report and now has to fill out a written report of the incident and answer all of the questions that have been asked before. Some of the questions are hard to understand how they might apply. For instance: Do you know who may have stolen your cycle? Has anyone in your family ever had a vehicle stolen, and if so, what was the outcome? Has all maintainance on the cycle been done by a professional mechanic? In addition, they want receipts for everything that has anything to do with the cycle except for gas.

It looks like they are jerking him around, and he is not sure that they will pay the claim for the amount he has it insured.

Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.
'00LTC

Geico are a bunch of A$$holes. They are looking to pay as little as possible for the claim. They are asking questions numerous ways for redundancy. Looking for possible cues that you are attempting to rip them off.

I hope you have a better resolution with them than my opinion of them, but I personally think they are the shoddiest insurance company out there.

Any Geico employees that are on this forum....well....I don't have any regrets...you work for a crappy company that doesn't give a crap about people or the truth.

Hope your step-son gets his bike back undamaged.

Whoa! Those folks sound very unreasonable. I have never dealt with Gieco. It sounds as though they may be gun shy from fraudelent claims. I also feel that he may be stereo-typed just because he owns an H-D.
My suggestion is is to seek legal counsel before he does anymore with Gieco. The best bet also is too remain calm and corrigable. A little bit of sugar will attract a lot of bee's. In other words" kiss butt".
As mentioning about the insurance fraud. I do not want to sound like I am insulting your son or you. So do not take that the wrong way. The reason I mentioned it is due to the fact a lot of people are losing their jobs and can't sell their toys. A lot of people are forclosing on 10 year loans for the H-D they decided to buy.
I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Take Care and Ride Safe
Pat Carol

Scare the ca ca out of me!?

I have Geico on everything but the house, never had a claim. If this line of comment keeps coming on this thread, I might have to say goodby to Geico before it's too late..

Keep the comments coming here..anybody have any GOOD Geico experience here?

What a bummer and what a worry here!

Nothing but positive experience with GEICO in 18 years of auto insurance with several claims. Although no claims w/ GEICO for my R1100R as yet; so the jury is out.
MD

I worked in insurance claims for over 31 years and the way GEICO is handling the claim is typical of many if not most insurance companies. Fraud with vehicle theft is widespread and to be fair and prevent claims of descrimination, insurance campanies are forced to treat everyone the same way whether the claim is suspect or not. This seems harsh and unfair to honest people with legitimate claims but that is the way it has to be done to avoid lawsuits and claims of unfair treatment.

I worked in insurance claims for over 31 years and the way GEICO is handling the claim is typical of many if not most insurance companies. Fraud with vehicle theft is widespread and to be fair and prevent claims of descrimination, insurance campanies are forced to treat everyone the same way whether the claim is suspect or not. This seems harsh and unfair to honest people with legitimate claims but that is the way it has to be done to avoid lawsuits and claims of unfair treatment.

When I filed my claim with Markel last year I found their paperwork was very reasonable. It basically was the same paperwork the local police wanted for the accident report. BTW I had my check two weeks after the estimate was done with very little hassle on a large (8K+)at fault claim. I cannot say enough about how great they were. My increase on renewal was very reasonable also. I think it was about $50.00. IMO you never know about your insurance until you file a claim. All of them are good at separating you from your money. A lot of them are not good at the cash flowing the other way.

My accident

I pay a bit more to have State Farm... after reading this I'm reminded why I'll never switch. I totaled my 1100R this spring. Called up my agent and the first words were "Are you o.k.?" Then told me to not worry, an adjuster would have a look, and to have my mechanic do the same and they'd take care of things to get me back on the road. I had a check in my hands in 48hrs.

YMMV, but I'm a State Farm customer from here on out..

RW

When I filed my claim with Markel last year I found their paperwork was very reasonable. It basically was the same paperwork the local police wanted for the accident report. BTW I had my check two weeks after the estimate was done with very little hassle on a large (8K+)at fault claim. I cannot say enough about how great they were. My increase on renewal was very reasonable also. I think it was about $50.00. IMO you never know about your insurance until you file a claim. All of them are good at separating you from your money. A lot of them are not good at the cash flowing the other way.

My accident

Your claim was an accident and not a theft. Handling a claim for an accident where there is evidence to be seen is very different than a theft claim where there is nothing to be seen and fraud is frequent.

I agree 100%. In my job I deal with insurance companies all the time and this is par for the course.

I can't speak for Geico but my advise is to comply as closely as possible to their demands. The purpose for the maintenance records is likely to establish a "worth" figure, insurance companies have become less willing to pay claims quickly as a result of wide spread fraud.

I can assure you without all the requested documentation they are more likely to deny the claim or only pay part of the value.

Trust me on this, I conduct mechanical failure inspections for certain marine related insurance companies. I see these patterns as they develop.

:dance

Your claim was an accident and not a theft. Handling a claim for an accident where there is evidence to be seen is very different than a theft claim where there is nothing to be seen and fraud is frequent.

Good point, I can see where that line of questioning would be very relevant.

pictures of bike

Be sure to include some pictures of the bike and the son in law with the bike.

This can also assist in claim for additions and accessories to the bike.

If he does not have current receipts, get pictures and prices of the accessories to send in with the claim. You should give them more than they ask.

I can't speak for Geico but my advise is to comply as closely as possible to their demands. The purpose for the maintenance records is likely to establish a "worth" figure, insurance companies have become less willing to pay claims quickly as a result of wide spread fraud.

I can assure you without all the requested documentation they are more likely to deny the claim or only pay part of the value.

Trust me on this, I conduct mechanical failure inspections for certain marine related insurance companies. I see these patterns as they develop.

:dance

Part of the reason they want records is to prove the vehicle existed and/or was in running condition. I've had claims where the policyholder insured a title and there was no vehicle. The vehicle may have been wrecked, burned or otherwise destroyed and the prior owner only had liability coverage so no claim was made. Sometimes the vehicle has serious mechanical problems such as a blown engine or transmission before it was "stolen". Maintenance records gives the adjuster a person to verify the condition and if the vehicle exists. The owner almost always talks to his or her mechanic when they blow an engine or transmission.

Thanks for all the input concerning a stolen cycle. It has been a learning experience, and I have passed the coments along to my step-son. He now understands the situation and doesn't think that Geico is trying to jerk him around. We'll see how it all turns out.

Thanks again.

Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.
'00LTC

I pay a bit more to have State Farm... after reading this I'm reminded why I'll never switch. I totaled my 1100R this spring. Called up my agent and the first words were "Are you o.k.?" Then told me to not worry, an adjuster would have a look, and to have my mechanic do the same and they'd take care of things to get me back on the road. I had a check in my hands in 48hrs.

YMMV, but I'm a State Farm customer from here on out..

+3 on that one, maybe they are all trained that way - but mine, each time, has asked if I was OK first, then said not to worry they will take are of everything - and they did. Though State Farm does not, in Michigan, cover any safety gear. Perhaps a rider can be purchased for that, but I understand other insurers, like Progressive, automatically cover safety gear.

Two thumbs up for my experience with GEICO. I crashed a new BMW R1100S in 2000 with only 300 miles on it and it was a total loss. I had a check in just a few days and my premium went up very little. I have four bikes with them now. Never had a problem, but so far the crash has been my only claim.

gee some dirtbag stole a harley at sturgis.hmm at the national in west bend i left my keys in the ignition as i saw others doing difference in people maybe.also to the lovely young lady that i talked to about the canon camera right next to the prize bikes saturday morning. hello i hope you and your husband are doing well.

Back