• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garage door opener for a K1600 GTL

1950indian

I just bought a 2014 K1600 GTL and was wondering if anyone has info on how to hook up a garage door opener to the headlights high and low beam? Which wires would be the best place to tap into? Will I need to remove the front fairing to get to the head light? I have removed the side panels and speaker to expose the running light but can not reach the headlight. The plug on the right side is supposed to go to the headlight, so can I hook up to these wires? If so which ones? This is my first BMW and loving it. Thanks for any help!

Here is my hack to open the garage door. My jacket has a small zippered pocket near the left sleeve cuff. (a number of jackets do) I bought a small remote for my opener that fits in there nicely. All I have to do is tap my sleeve, and the door opens and closes!

All I have to do is tap my sleeve, and the door opens and closes!

... and when I inadvertently bumped mine, while riding away, the garage door went up. At least that's what I'm guessing, the garage door was up eight hours later when I got home. :banghead

I now make sure to look over my shoulder when I leave.

Here's a way to get the garage door opener with the horn switch instead. It seems like it works better with the horn, than with the headlight flasher.

Chris

I also carry a remote in my jacket pocket. If you have more than one bike, the remote is always with you.

Garage door opener

Also gave up on a dedicated opener on each bike. It is a lot easier to do the same, an opener in my upper pocket. I can easily activate it as I come up the driveway.

Here is my hack to open the garage door. My jacket has a small zippered pocket near the left sleeve cuff. (a number of jackets do) I bought a small remote for my opener that fits in there nicely. All I have to do is tap my sleeve, and the door opens and closes!

I don't even have a door on my carport. :banghead

Oh, what to do? What to do? :scratch

Carports are really good for some locations and a garage works better in other places. You might want to consider adding a garage door to the front of your carport (with an electric garage door opener of course) and leave the remaining sides open. This way, you get the best of both worlds by keeping the open air feeling of a carport and also the added hassle of a garage door. :rolleyes

The remote-in-the-pocket does not work for me, too hard to get it out of the pocket or to press the button through the pocket with gloves on. Soldered wires to the switch contacts, installed a waterproof switch in the unused radio panel and velcroed the fob inside the upper fairing.

18935238384_72a1dc7a12.jpg

19557757095_2595aa2504.jpg

I've no experience with the K1600, but the wiring colors should be white for high beam, yellow for low and brown for ground. On the RT, there is a single six conductor connector on the back of the headlight housing that has all of the wires you would need, so I'd probably look for a similar connector on the GTL.

Thanks, I have the harley garage door opener from my other bike and was trying to figure out what wires I needed to tap into. On my harley all I had to do was tap into the 2 wires going to the headlight and the ground. That is all it took to hook it up, but it is 12 volts going to the headlight. I understand that I need a 12 volt system to make the unit work, with the can bus system it is low voltage. Any info in this field would be helpful. Also if you have info on how to get to the back of the headlight. Is there a site that shows how to take apart the front fairing.

I get off the bike running, hit the opener on the side of the garage, back on the bike and ride it in.

I can't see the need to carrying a remote on the motor itself personally.

The remote-in-the-pocket does not work for me, too hard to get it out of the pocket or to press the button through the pocket with gloves on.

Same problem with the same remote; could never operate with gloves. Bought a larger remote and couldn’t operate when in my coat pocket; hence remote button.

I get off the bike running, hit the opener on the side of the garage, back on the bike and ride it in.

I can't see the need to carrying a remote on the motor itself personally.

Parking is a little tight for me in the garage with two bikes so I always ride one onto the bike lift. I open the garage door about a tenth of a km from the house, allowing me to coast up onto the lift. I do on occasion ride onto the lift from being parked on the driveway but I prefer coasting up onto the lift.

I get off the bike, get out the key, unlock the padlock, swing the barn-style doors wide open, get on the bike and ride in. :)

Or I ride into the carport that doesn't have doors.

Or just park in front of the house in the driveway.

Or somewhere on the 32 acres.

I pull into the driveway and have my man Peregrine take care of parking the bike. Garage door openers are so pedestrian.

:D

Mine is all manual, no door auto openers except for me unlocking side door, unlocking garage and lifting it the old fashion way by hand. Then I may have to wheel out a bike depending on which BMW of the 3 I have I chose to ride that day.

I open the garage door from my cell phone (MyQ). I can close the door the same way, but I generally let it close automatically - I receive alerts to the cell phone to confirm it has closed. Like others, I carry a remote as a backup, but even with large buttons, its isn't overly viable with gloves on. I drive straight in and onto a turntable, get off, rotate the turntable 180deg, and I'm ready to drive straight out for next time. Turning a K16 around in a garage seemed like a tip over waiting to happen at some point.

Back