• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

G650: Belt or Chain

dwhitlock

I plan to buy a new G650 this year to ride forest service and fire roads in the area of my home in northern Idaho, plus some paved road travel. I have ridden BMWs since 1966, but have no off-road experience and, at age 64, have no interest in gnarly trails. My question: do I need the chain-drive version or is the belt-drive satisfactory for these uses?

Thanks for the input, everyone. It gave me a lot of food for thought. Will let you know what I decide.

Last edited:
The G650 is a chain only model.

The belt, a great concept for BMW, comes on the twin cylinder rides like the F800ST.

The best bang for my buck is the F650GS.

• an 800cc engine
  • chain drive
  • better price point

Let us all know which way you go.

dwhitlock: G650 is a very nice bike; but please do consider the BMW F650GS Twin!

The G650 is a chain only model.

The belt, a great concept for BMW, comes on the twin cylinder rides like the F800ST.

The best bang for my buck is the F650GS.

• an 800cc engine
  • chain drive
  • better price point

Let us all know which way you go.

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=116905&hl= I fully agree with my good Buddy, Paul! Give the F650GS Twin some consideration! My F650GS twin has already made three long distance off road rides into Mexico. Baja Norte - Bahia de Los Angeles and Sonora: Both San Carlos and Banamichi.

And this link where my best BMW riding friend Brian Boles and I rode our Beemers to Central Mexico. One other benefit of the BMW F650GS Twin over either the G650 and the F800GS is: TUBELESS TIRES! On each of these three Mexico trips, I wound up helping another rider with a puncture in his tube. What a PITA to fix a tubed tire, when it's so easy just to use sticky string to repair a puncture on my BMW F650GS Twin! By the way, I turn 62 years young on OCT 28, 2010. Enjoy!

The belt drive in this series, I believe, is the F650CS, which is a street bike. Style is very similar to the F650GS, but the exhaust is low, no bash plate, etc. So, the CS is not an off road bike. The chains on the GS bikes are o-ring which, I understand, is supposed to make them maintenance free. I use a chain lube on mine that is made for o-ring chains and is supposed to condition the o-rings and extend their life. I only use this about every month. I talked with someone with an F650GS at a rally who was replacing the chain and both sprockets. I don't remember the cost exactly, but I remember thinking it didn't sound expensive, maybe a couple hundred. Anyone know the cost?

I think people make too much of a deal about chain maint. on these bikes. I had an '03 F650GS that gave me no chain problems. On dirt rides I would spray some lube on it at the end of the day. I also did this after riding in a lot of rain. Otherwise it only got sprayed maybe every 600 miles. I replaced the chain, and gears at 30000 miles. It just all depends on your riding conditions.

Back