• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fully Farkled

samuelh

banning_mills1.jpg

banning_mills2.jpg

banning_mills3.jpg

banning_mills4.jpg

banning_mills5.jpg

banning_mills6.jpg

banning_mills7.jpg

banning_mills8.jpg

Favorite farkle so far is the 45 tooth rear sprocket. Second favorite is the Russell Day Long Saddle. The others: Wunderlich Tall Touring Windscreen, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS (currently in for repairs, just up and died on me) Givi E21 side cases, Givi E45 Rear Case, Kaoko Throttle Lock... I think that's it. I totaled it up at one point, the figure is shocking.

Just got back from a ride from Philadelphia to outside of Atlanta. Very comfortable, but if someone offered me a trade for a similarly set up F650GS tomorrow for not too much cash, I'd probably do it. A 6th gear and 20 extra horses would be nice. I'd also love to have tire pressure monitors, as I hate checking the tire pressure :]

Serviced by Montgomeryville Cycle Center, those guys are awesome. I'm currently about 1500 miles overdue for the 12k service.

At points, I've thought about trading for a smart car... I come from a safety obsessed family, and sometimes the worry in my families voice is enough to take the pleasure out of riding.. buuuutt.. I'd probably need some heavy duty meds to stay as happy as I am riding after work and on the weekends.

My philosophy about women is that there are 3 essential types: 1 that won't let you ride, 1 that wants to ride on the back, and 1 that rides her own. :heart I'm looking for the third, though the BMW R1200RT videos (the one in scotland, and the one in norway) look like a nice romantic time. Too heavy a bike for me though.

OK I'm rambling. Just wanted to post some pictures and say how happy I am with my first bike.

Sam :bikes

Good looking ride there. But..... there are still many farkles out there for you to squander your hard earned cash on. It never, ever ends.

Those F - GS twins are sweet machines. The 650 is a very nice flickable road bike and the 800 offers more off road potential with a little more top speed. I could enjoy either as a second to my RT and would in fact pick the 800 over the GS 1200 as a complement to the RT (the 800 is lighter with better controls) though I get a little concerned for some of the bike's known issues and BMWs and it suppliers outsourcing locations.

That may be the most fully farkled I'm likely to see any time soon.

You know you've got the disease bad when the farkles cost as much as the bike...

How about...

a nice white pinstripe job on the black tank and fender? Just like on the old oilheads? Sweet!

You're never done farkling a bike!:thumb

Favorite farkle so far is the 45 tooth rear sprocket

if you like that try switching to a 17 tooth CS sprocket in combination with the 45 rear sprocket. i have been running the 17/45 combo for quite some time now and love it.

Let's spend some of your money. You could use:

Front fork protection; the 650 is prone to fork seal issues. Shock Sox, a Touratech sliding protector or gaiter will help

Kisan Charge Guard or some other meter that allows you to monitor your charging system so you don't run the battery dead.

Radiator protection.

Replacement front fender that offers increased coverage on the back of the tire.

I could go on, but that should set you back a few bucks.

You know, I <i>have</i> been lusting after a Tire Pressure Monitoring system. I was told that they are expensive enough, and expensive enough to install, that I should just get it when I get a new bike.

The valve stem system seems like a bad deal. I have read that the weight of the sensor can bend or break the valve stem. (And you know because I read it on the internet, it must be true!)

I'm going to need new tires in a few thousand miles, so I was thinking there must be an "internal" system that I can retrofit.. Haven't run across it yet though.

S

TPMS are overrated. For less than $100, you can buy a small compressor and a good inflator gage and plug it in within a few ft of your bike so airing up or down is trvial. One doesn't normally get blowouts on the road- just punctures that give plenty of time to notice and act. THe type you note that munts inside a wheel typically needs periodic replacements and is easily damaged by careless tire mounting, etc etc

Now those pinstripes really would look good and if you don't want to spring for a new fender there are extenders instead.....

Sweet

I like the seat, too. If I can add to the list above though, important first farkles I add to my bikes are hyper-light running/turn/brake lights in the back, and something in the front, either white hyperlights or motolights. The white hyperlights are cheaper and both increase conspecuity, though maybe the hyperlights do that better than the motolights.

Also, not sure what if any engine guards or sliders you would have on that beautiful bike, but something to protect those good looks would be nice.

But black is the best motorcycle color, and yours is as good a reason why as I have come across in some time!

if you like that try switching to a 17 tooth CS sprocket in combination with the 45 rear sprocket. i have been running the 17/45 combo for quite some time now and love it.

I will probably need to replace my chain on my next service at 18,000 miles and I was considering changing the gearing since I hear it is a good idea to change both sprockets when you change the chain. Tell me more about how the bike runs the way you have it geared now. Do you know what the stock front and rear tooth count is?

Also curious about this set-up and how it runs... what specific benefits do you like and are there any down sides that you've experienced?

with the 17 tooth CS sprocket and the 45 tooth rear sprocket the bike is much smoother. it will cruise easily and comfortably at 80-85mph. i am sorry, i can't seem to remember what the RPM is at that speed but the bike is much smoother/vibration free. in 4th gear i cruise at 55mph which is approx 5000 RPM or slightly higher. the only down side to this gearing is it will not be suitable for serious off road use. riding dirt roads is no problem but for serious off road use (think Moab) the higher gearing would be a problem. overall i am completely happy with this gearing, i can cruise the backroads in 3rd or 4th gear, run fast & vibration free at interstate speeds and still hit the occasional dirt road i find. i also think if your in the 200lb range you might have some problem taking off from a stop, as 1st gear is a bit tall. since i am only approx. 125lbs i have no such problems, even taking off from a stop facing up hill. if you always wished your F650 had a 6th gear the 17/45 gearing is as close as your going to get.

You know, I <i>have</i> been lusting after a Tire Pressure Monitoring system. I was told that they are expensive enough, and expensive enough to install, that I should just get it when I get a new bike.

Has anyone tried using the valve caps with the pressure sensor that turns red when the tires are low? I heard somewhere that some of them leak. I have a portable 12v compressor that works fine, but I check the pressure every time I leave for a trip, and I top the tires off every month regardless. Usually lose around 2 pounds per month. Tire guys tell me that is normal, but it would be nice to get an early warning on low tires.

Back